• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Staying vigilant

nfulton

No bitching here. I took the risk and I got caught. I just wanted everyone, and especially some of the newer guys to see that it does happen. Stay vigilant, and know that you are actually taking a risk and after thoroughly inspecting this mound of official paper, with all of its seals and stamps, it can have some serious consequences. It was totally random. No warning, no particular reason, and from a very safe vendor. Oddly enough, I was caught not by the Treasury, but the US Customs and border protection and Homeland Security. Luckily, they are being kind and not pulling the leash too hard. Just five minutes on the stairs for a time-out. However, they didn't have to be kind, so stay vigilant.

That sucks man. I was thinking the other day how it seemed "the letter" situation has died down, well at least discussion of it. I'm glad its only a slap on the wrist for you, but nonetheless a scary situation to be in.

Well that sucks brother, I have been contemplating looking into ordering some cubans, but I think I might hold off now. What is the punishment? A knock-it-off letter?? Fine?

It varies, but it really depends on what they decide to do.

Well that sucks brother, I have been contemplating looking into ordering some cubans, but I think I might hold off now. What is the punishment? A knock-it-off letter?? Fine?

Anything from a warning to 20yrs. in prison and large fines. All depends on circumstances, but a couple of boxes is not likely to cause your door to be kicked in ;)

Sorry to hear this happened, I hope those aren't black helicopters hovering outside...

Scary stuff. I hope it amounts to nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Best of luck!

-t.

Which "the letter" was it.....a confiscation letter or one received from the OFAC with specific violation information on it. There are differing levels of severity from what I understand.

Which "the letter" was it.....a confiscation letter or one received from the OFAC with specific violation information on it. There are differing levels of severity from what I understand.

It was the official confiscation letter. It gave me my options as to what I could do with the package. From what I have ascertained, it is up to Homeland to send it to the Treasury Dept. to be dealt with. It didn't state what the next procedure they would follow if any. I have had many questions about the vendor. Though I am obviously not going to state any names, I will say that the vendor had nothing to do with the seized shipment, nor has any of my information been released to interested parties. I am certain they will maintain that position and I would feel safe continuing to purchase from them. Now all I can do is wait and see what happens. If it takes two years for some letters to get to the recipients it could be a long time before this thread is revisited(pray it isn't)

They are not the same thing. Thank goodness you did not receive "THE letter". As you are aware, the RFI letters from OFAC are very different.

Anything from a warning to 20yrs. in prison and large fines. All depends on circumstances, but a couple of boxes is not likely to cause your door to be kicked in ;)

Thanks for the information...! :looks around furtively:

I just saw this, man this sucks!. I hope everything turns out ok Nate.

... I would feel safe continuing to purchase from them. Now all I can do is wait and see what happens.
Before you do so, if you do so, I'd suggest chatting it up with others you know of who purchase from that vendor and see if that particular source is experiencing a sudden surge in confiscations. This could be entirely random or it could be that "the man" is on to their shipping scheme.

Oh, and thank goodness this wasn't the other "letter".

Sorry about the letter. Oh and what's worse is those Custom Agents are going to smoke your Sticks!!! now thats the real shame.

Hope Everything works out for you.

I know that Moki, was meant as a bad joke. I had a friend who worked for customs, he sad they had a warehouse full of cigars waiting to be destroyed.

Not sure how much truth is involved in that but I wouldn't be suprised.

I've had 6 letters over the years, the last one being in 2000. All were the standard one from US Customs. I hope your vendor made good on the cigars. I personally do not do business with vendors who do not guarantee delivery.