• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stiff Little Fingers

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
This past Wednesday, I had a chance to see Stiff Little Fingers, an old school punk band from Northern Ireland! They've been around since the 1970s and they were doing the 30th anniversary tour of their first album 'Inflammable Material" and they played every song from that album (except the last song). They played at The Paradise in Boston and the show was FANTASTIC! :thumbs:

Some of my favorites like the Dropkick Murphys, the Street Dogs and the Tossers list Stiff Little Fingers as bands that influence their sound so when I heard they were coming to town, I HAD to see them. :thumbs:

One of their famous songs is "Nobody's Hero" which the Dropkick Murphys covered on one of their "Singles Collection" CDs and at every DKM show I've ever been to, they play SLF's "Alternative Ulster" on the PA system before the band comes on stage.

They're playing this Saturday in Chicago at the "Riot Fest" so you Windy City boys oughta check out the show, you won't be disappointed.
RiotFest.jpg

As far as I know, Bruce Foxton is no longer with SLF.

Glad you got to see these boys Bill...they are indeed a hell of a group. Used to buy their lps back in the day, and still have them and 45s as well. I still get chills listening to "Tin Soldiers."

If you ever get the chance Bill....you have GOT to see Cock Sparrer, no ifs, ands or buts. A distant second would be The Business as well. And, although I've not seen them live in about ten years or so, you have to check out The Templars too.

Great stuff...again, so glad you got the chance to see SLF live. I remember seeing them a few times, with old, old Irish guys...talking guys Doc's age :laugh: - just standing in the audience with tears streaming down their faces to some of the songs.

I used to be a Green Day fan until I stumbled onto the Stiff Little Fingers. Green Day's early stuff almost sounds like a cover band. I really enjoy the energy and passion of Stiff Little Fingers. Seeing them live would've been a thrill.

Jeez, I haven't seen them for 20 years. Looks like the Bad Brains on the 16th would have been a good show too.

Either day would be cool to go to, but I'm into SLF a lot more than Bad Brains...but a few of those bands make it look like a flyer from the late 80's!

Jeez, I haven't seen them for 20 years. Looks like the Bad Brains on the 16th would have been a good show too.

I couldn't go, but heard the Sunday show was better than Saturday. Used to know the guys in Naked Raygun, sort of. Kinda prima donnas of the Chicago scene. 7 Seconds was always a favorite. Our band played with them once.

What oughta be even better than this show, is the after party this coming weekend, for the new documentary You Weren't There.
movie.jpg

I played in a couple of bands with a couple of the guys who were in Negative Element.

Here's something to check out: The Outbreaks

Oh, forgot to add, my uncle turned me on to SLF around '80-81 or so. I was too young to understand what they were singing about. But, after a few years and a few more history classes, I was even more turned on to their music. I was listening to them this weekend on My Space.

Note to self: Bill + topic that makes no sense to me, its probably music.

I went to high school with Chris Bjorklund from Strike Under and used to go see the Jam and Clash With Steve Bjorklund!
Very Cool, I'd love to see this film!
If you ever run into either of these guys try to get a phone number for me!