• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing cigars in there boxes

Mavric

Just wanted to see what is the best way to store cigars for at least a year was. Should I take the plastic off? I do not plan to break the seal on them till I want to start smoking them. Unless it is better to do so to allow more air circulation. The boxes of cigars will be stored in a regular cooler with 320 gram Bovida packs affixed to the lid.

I hope you mean the outside of the lid? It is not advised to put cigars in direct contact with Boveda packs.

Store them as they come to you, in other words, If it's in a box ....leave it. If it's in cello .... leave it. If it's naked .... leave it.

I hope you mean the outside of the lid? It is not advised to put cigars in direct contact with Boveda packs.

Store them as they come to you, in other words, If it's in a box ....leave it. If it's in cello .... leave it. If it's naked .... leave it.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

^^ What Jeff said.

More wanted to know if I should take the plastic off the box and break the seal. I plan to leaving them in the box they came in. Just wasnt sure the best practice for storing them before starting to smoke them.

Leave them as they are. As car as the cello on or off question, I have several boxes of 10+ year old LFD chisels that I thought would be fun to experiment with so I stripped the cello from half of them in 2 boxes and more or less forgot I had them. This is only my perceptions, but after 10 years, there was no discernible difference between the celloed vs non-celloed. So leave that shit on and protect your sticks lol.

More wanted to know if I should take the plastic off the box and break the seal. I plan to leaving them in the box they came in. Just wasnt sure the best practice for storing them before starting to smoke them.

It's personal preference honestly. If you feel more comfortable removing the outside cello off the box and inspecting the contents, do it. If you're ok with taking the box and playing Jinga with it until you're ready to enjoy them, that works too.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. You'll learn over the years though trial and error, what works best for you.

It's personal preference honestly. If you feel more comfortable removing the outside cello off the box and inspecting the contents, do it. If you're ok with taking the box and playing Jinga with it until you're ready to enjoy them, that works too.

There is no right or wrong way to do it. You'll learn over the years though trial and error, what works best for you.
Thank you ya I will always leave the cello on the cigars themselves. As it's not plastic and they can steal breath. But you bring up a good point about inspecting them.

Just wanted to see what is the best way to store cigars for at least a year was. Should I take the plastic off? I do not plan to break the seal on them till I want to start smoking them. Unless it is better to do so to allow more air circulation. The boxes of cigars will be stored in a regular cooler with 320 gram Bovida packs affixed to the lid.
I've always left the wrappers on them in boxes. The saying goes something like, "If the moisture can leave, the moisture can enter" meaning if they can dry out in their wrapper/box, they can take in moisture in their wrapper/box. But I will say, I've always opened every box when I got them just to do a visual inspeciton.

Rookie question here. "Leave them in the box" - does that mean IN a humidor, or some other humidity-controlled area while still in the box ?

Last edited:
Rookie question here. "Leave them in the box" - does that mean IN a humidor, or some other humidity-controlled area while still in the box ?

Correct, the discussion is about leaving the cigars in their boxes while being stored in a humidor, or other humidity controlled environment.

I personally have both options being utilized in my humidor. I have a drawer for singles, and also boxes. Typically when a box gets down to 5 or 6 left, they go into the drawer.

Correct, the discussion is about leaving the cigars in their boxes while being stored in a humidor, or other humidity controlled environment.

I personally have both options being utilized in my humidor. I have a drawer for singles, and also boxes. Typically when a box gets down to 5 or 6 left, they go into the drawer.
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you.