• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Straight razors and DE razors?

cody5thou

Supporter
I know there have been post discussing shaving in the past, but I am just curious to see if there are enough members who shave like this to start it's own sub-thread? I have really been enjoying shaving with my DE razors and I am looking into getting a straight razor. For some reason scotch,cigars and old school shaving come to mind when I think about luxury items i enjoy for my self. I love the days when I can enjoy all these without interruptions. With two small kids those days are rare.

Anyways, I just thought it would be cool to have memebers share their knowledge on the art of shaving.

Cheers

There's a shaving thread...not sure the a sub-forum is needed on a cigar board....maybe a Lux-items sub-forum?

Check out a websight called Badger and Blade. More information than you'll ever need.

Doc

Been to B&B, great place. I just thought there would be members on here that might also like to share their knowledge. Anyways, I know this is a cigar forum. I will search for the thread on shaving.

Great idea on the Lux items.

E6A371E0-31D5-4430-BC64-36288A9B5711-14841-00001011786525EC.jpg

This is my weapon of choice.

Now that is a razor. I have a Futur DE and a Ikon sk9 that should be here tomorrow!

Now that is a razor. I have a Futur DE and a Ikon sk9 that should be here tomorrow!

Gracias.
I like shaving with a straight. Used to use a DE, but it wasn't as rewarding.

I agree I love the DE shave but you can't beat a striaght. I love going and getting a straight shave I feel like a new man. I am going to be on the look out for my first straight razor this week.

Straight razors are great, if you only shave once a week. If you need to shave twice a day, as I use to, they're impractical. There's a reason DE's were invented. I sugest you read up on WWI and Gillette to get a handle on it. (pun intended).

Doc

Straight razors are great, if you only shave once a week. If you need to shave twice a day, as I use to, they're impractical. There's a reason DE's were invented. I sugest you read up on WWI and Gillette to get a handle on it. (pun intended).

Doc

I agree Doc. I unfortunately had to buy a Norelco electric wazoo whatever-the-hell shaver because of this very reason. I did the straight razor thing for a while, but the joy leaves you when you have to alot 20 minutes for it daily at 4 am, so to Norelco I went. But I'd still like to pick a nice one up sometime. Preferrably with an animal horn handle or something badass.

shavevana.jpg

Some things have changed since I took this . . . I use a '61 Gillette "Fatboy" Adjustable now, and while the Nancy Boy's a great shave cream, I tend to reach for the Taylor of Old Bond Street more often. Especially the "Mr. Taylor's" and "Eton College."

Still using the Badger & Blade limited edition brush. That thing's amazing.

Used to do a full three pass shave EVERY day when I first started. Now I tend to run an ancient electric over my face every other day or so, and give myself a real shave with all the goodies on Sundays.

~Boar

Been using a DE for just over a year now and will never go back to disposables!

Boar that brush is sweet! I have been looking at gettng a new brush now that I know I will be sticking with this method!

I've taken a couple months off full shaves just for a change of pace, but I've been using an Edwin Jagger de89 for about a year. Very satisfying with the right blade.

Can anybody point me to a good reputable website with decent pricing? I've only seen the ones that pop up in a Google search for "straight blade razors." TIA

souldog, if you head to badgerandblade.com you'll find plenty of recommendations for shaving gear purchases.

Two that I've happily ordered from are westcoastshaving.com and classicshaving.com

Thanks alot Slick, I'll check them out right now.

As far as the forum, I really don't want to get involved with another forum, I barely get on here as it is.

Boar, do you have any recommends my good sir?

x2 that on B&B and Classicshaving!! I would have to agree that using a straight every morning might be a pain, that is why I love my new Ikon SK9 and the Merkur Futur for everyday. I would love to add a old Fatboy and a nice straight to the collection. Shaving is like smoking there is so much out there to try. I have my favorites, but always enjoy trying new stuff!

Boar, do you have any recommends my good sir?

This will save you the trouble of searching yet another forum . . . it's Badger & Blade's links thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/3779-Shopping-Links

Classic Shaving, eBarber, and Gentleman's Quarter are all reliable and trustworthy vendors with great stuff. Get sampler packs. Once you know what you like, a lot of it will be available through Amazon.com. I know, I know, they're the "big box" of the internet, but they actually represent a LOT of small sellers and you can find some real deals there.

Vintage Gillette razors are widely available via eBay, but shop carefully. You can get DE blades there dirt cheap, too. I like Red Personna myself.

~Boar

Thanks, Boar! Wanted to post that myself but didn't have the time at the time to find it.