• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Suggestions for a birthday present for Chloe

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
My granddaughter turns 8yo this September! The age of reason? Any suggestions for a modern 8yo girl. I'm a bit at sea on this one. Maybe a book? But which one? Please help! :)

Hmmmm, I have a 9 yr old and an almost 7 year old, so Chloe is right in the middle. My girls don't watch much TV, but the do enjoy their tablets, but they also enjoy reading. My 9 yr old really enjoyed "Fish in a Tree" book.

Otherwise, they enjoy Shopkins, making those dang rubberband bracelets and pie face. I don't think you can go wrong, just do a little research and you'll be fine.

Give her a day spent with Grandpa. Go see a movie, out to eat, take her shopping, get matching tatoo's? Whatever you decide on, a day with grandpa out doing stuff she would enjoy will be a lifelong memory for you both. Just a thought from a guy with 8 grandkids.

Hmmmm, I have a 9 yr old and an almost 7 year old, so Chloe is right in the middle. My girls don't watch much TV, but the do enjoy their tablets, but they also enjoy reading. My 9 yr old really enjoyed "Fish in a Tree" book.

Otherwise, they enjoy Shopkins, making those dang rubberband bracelets and pie face. I don't think you can go wrong, just do a little research and you'll be fine.
Thanks, Brandon! Making things to wear is cool. She is always drawing so she is artistically inclined so that is something to consider. I'll ask her Mom(Maria) about the book to see if she read/has it and what "Mom" thinks.

Give her a day spent with Grandpa. Go see a movie, out to eat, take her shopping, get matching tatoo's? Whatever you decide on, a day with grandpa out doing stuff she would enjoy will be a lifelong memory for you both. Just a thought from a guy with 8 grandkids.
We would both enjoy that and I hope to at least see her. They are only 85 miles away so I am a lucky Grandpa that way.

On that day spent with Grandpa, maybe take her to a place like Barnes and Noble, which has a nice learning toy section. Always nice to give them a wrapped present, but spontaneity is good too.

On that day spent with Grandpa, maybe take her to a place like Barnes and Noble, which has a nice learning toy section. Always nice to give them a wrapped present, but spontaneity is good too.
Maybe. Her brother(my grandson) Cameron's recent birthday was eclipsed completely by his Mom's wedding. Modern families often throw some weird Monkey Wrenches! So I have some communication with Mom yet. I would love to take them both! :)

My Cloey (grand niece) is eleven. This is where I buy books for her . . . because when your Great Uncle is an English teacher, whatever else you get (we like to do lunch at a nice restaurant followed by a 3D IMAX movie) you are definitely going to get BOOKS:

http://www.amightygirl.com/books

It's a great site, lots of girl power and it's all categorized by age, genre, interest.

~Boar

My Cloey (grand niece) is eleven. This is where I buy books for her . . . because when your Great Uncle is an English teacher, whatever else you get (we like to do lunch at a nice restaurant followed by a 3D IMAX movie) you are definitely going to get BOOKS:

http://www.amightygirl.com/books

It's a great site, lots of girl power and it's all categorized by age, genre, interest.

~Boar
Thanks for the suggestion, Boar. I might scour the library, too. I cut my teeth on Hardy Boys. :p

I grew up on Doc Savage, myself. :cool:

ccfae8f9a8d0bf7a82d5ad9dfbb6e8ce9fe799ff1632ce64e84dd726955e1dd9.jpg

My Pentecostal preacher father had a lifelong love of science fiction going back to the Pulp era, which was, after all, his childhood. And I was a precociously gifted reader. He had all 154 (!!!) Doc Savage novels and I had read them ALL---along with all his Tarzan of the Apes and John Carter of Mars---by the end of the fourth grade.

Good hero and role model for a young lad, though, that Doc Savage. No superpowers, no radioactive spider bite, no mutant genes, just a highly trained intellect, senses, and physique and a "posse" of chums, all with talents of their own and a penchant for fisticuffs and exotic adventures. Good stuff!

Which is why I go to that link for Cloey's books. Representation matters, and I want her to find her heroes. ;)

~Boar

If she likes to read, see if she likes The Magic Treehouse series. My daughter loved them. I like them because they are a mini history lesson in each book (as simple as it may be). I know you can find the box set of the first 40 or so books (they aren't big, so it doesn't take up a whole lot of room), and I'm sure that there are sets of later books, too.

If she likes to read and her parents are cool with it, maybe she would like a Kindle or other e-reader? I know that Kindle has a kid version now. I love deadwood as much as the rest of the purists, but books take up lots of room that some people just don't have in their houses. I'm in that spot right now, so the Kindle that the fam got me for my birthday a few months ago has found use daily, and I quickly came around to reading on a device over turning actual pages. On that front, she'd have a cool electronic "toy" of her own to play with and be responsible for.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

New Harry Potter book? I love the idea of a day with Grandpa. Not knowing her taste's maybe take her to play miniature golf, clothes shopping, a movie, or something else in her wheel house.

I have four granddaughters and raised one. That makes me somewhat of an expert. I would suggest an American Girl doll. Not only will this take care of your present day problem, but you'll have gift ideas for the rest of her life. Her friends will also be Impressed, which I understand is important to young girls.

Doc

Doc speaks truth. My 9 year old loves American Girl dolls and every "gift" day from here on out can be much-appreciated clothing and accessories for it.

Doc speaks truth. My 9 year old loves American Girl dolls and every "gift" day from here on out can be much-appreciated clothing and accessories for it.

I have four granddaughters and raised one. That makes me somewhat of an expert. I would suggest an American Girl doll. Not only will this take care of your present day problem, but you'll have gift ideas for the rest of her life. Her friends will also be Impressed, which I understand is important to young girls.

Doc

Starting at $100!