• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer is coming

nfulton

I'm sitting here on the porch enjoying a cigar and a caipirinha in 20 degree whether because I cannot come to terms that it is not yet summer (in my mind it is). I love my caipirinhas, and my gin in any form, and even the occasional Pimm's Cup. I think most people associate all three with sunny, warm weather. For those of us not chilling in sunny SoCal the weather for those drinks is coming. So what are your favorites? Any interesting cocktails? A particular varietal? A pint that is just made for the heat? Soon enough it will be 92 degrees and I need some ideas to get out of the rut.

I pretty much just like Grey Goose and Tonic with a splash of lime. Pimms with some Lemon Lime soda is a good one too. Then there are Sea Breeze's with Grey Goose, Grapefruit and Cranberry Juice.
Blackberry Rum runners are a new fave. Make them with fresh blackberry puree, coconut rum and Ron Z 23.

I like any beer with a low alcohol content on a hot day. Shock Top, Irish Red Ales, Wheat Beers, etc. Had a Liefmans Cuvee Brut about two weeks ago when it was almost eighty outside. Very nice for a fruit beer. The sweet cherry flavor was not overdone like most, and the low ABV% didn't leave me feeling all dehydrated even after drinking the whole 750ml in less than two hours.

A great Gin over crushed ice, with a spash of tonic and a big wedge of lime is pretty hard to say no to on a hot day.....:thumbs:

Great topic. I have a few.

Definitely, a nice G&T or Vodka and Soda. I would also add:

Newmans Lime-Aid and Grey Goose (Fill a cup with ice than add a 60-40 mix Goose to Juice and squeeze in an additional lime wedge or two) Great Drink!!

Margarita (4 shots Don Julio Anejo, 3/4 shot Grand Marinier, 3 lime wedges or 1/3 of a lime shake in mixer with ice then pour over a rocks glass filled with ice) This is one of my favorites

Also hard to turn down a nice cold Jack and Diet.

for beer probably say that Dos Equis and a lime, Harpoon UFO with a lemon, Leinenkugel Sunset Ale with a orange would be towards the top of my list. Interestingly enough on the Lime, Lemon, Orange fruit choices I never gave much thought to the use of all of them before, but hey thats how I drink them. :p

So what else you drinkin?

During the summer months I tend to drink more beer than spirits.

Beer would be something a little on the lighter side, something like a light ale, or a hef. I sometimes will have a Kona Brewing Wailua Wheat, for a fruit infused beer it's pretty tasty, but I can only drink one of those in a sitting.

If I do spirits, it would be a scotch neat. Sometimes I will get crazy and have a Skyy and Pomegranate Rockstar.

Definitely a nice cold beer on the lighter side. I'm really looking forward to the "Lips of Faith" Dandelion hopefully coming back in the next few months.

I'm first going to kick summer in the teeth for taking so long. Then I'll follow that with a Magic Hat Number 9.

John

Miller High Life in pounders.:laugh:

Doc.

For a beer, I love a Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Liquor, I like Ketel One, tonic, and lime.

The only libation I have in the summer that is different is the occasional vodka and tonic.

I like the seasonal ales and beers, though. :)

Tall Vodka - tonic - big squeeze of lime. Based on the snow coming down right now, it looks like it will be a while before I have one on the back porch. Damn this has been a long winter. :angry:

For a beer, I love a Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier. Liquor, I like Ketel One, tonic, and lime.

I picked up a 6er fo the Sam Adams Blackberry last weekend and thought it was pretty good nice and crisp. I will definitely be buying more.

Gin and Tonic, or just Ron Zacapa neat. A cold Guinness is good too. I know I know, it's a heavy thick drink but with a Guinness, it's never mattered to me.

mojito.jpg

Moeheeeeeeeeto. :thumbs:

Usually also do some Hendrick's & tonic with muddled cuke slices. Seriously refreshing on a hot day!

Picked one of these up off eBay recently, though:

91d299ad683dd7ecb5e0b66f6987ff25.image.200x158.JPG

Vintage Osterizer. Pretty sure it's older'n me and I think you could blend a tree stump with it! I'm thinking I may have to do a few Margaritaville weekends now . . . :cool:

~Boar

mojito.jpg

Moeheeeeeeeeto. :thumbs:

Usually also do some Hendrick's & tonic with muddled cuke slices. Seriously refreshing on a hot day!

Picked one of these up off eBay recently, though:

91d299ad683dd7ecb5e0b66f6987ff25.image.200x158.JPG

Vintage Osterizer. Pretty sure it's older'n me and I think you could blend a tree stump with it! I'm thinking I may have to do a few Margaritaville weekends now . . . :cool:

~Boar

Damn, I totally forgot about the Mojotos! Duh. I am actually enjoying a Hendricks on the rocks now. I never considered muddling cukes for it. Will have to try. I also just remembered another favorite of mine from Dog Fish Head. The Festina Peche is incredible on unbearably hot and humid days.

Couple weeks ago, I was at a local store that had a crazy sale on strawberries. They were dark, sweet, juicy. I bought a lot more than I needed, so I put the extras in a big mason jar, and filled it with some rum from the back of my bar.

Couple months ago, I was sent a fruit arrangement that was enough for 10 people, which is great, except I've got 3 in my house. Took the extra fruit before it went bad, threw it in a jar with some vodka.

I'm really looking forward to doing something with them once (if) the warm weather arrives.

If you're looking for a summer beer, I recommend Southern Tier Hop Sun. Had it for the first time, and it was what a summer beer should be. Just hoppy enough to satisfy, without the overwhelming hoppiness I prefer when it's colder outside.