• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Surgery in 2 days

Bu11dog

I tore my ACL, MCL, and both miniscus on my left knee last month. Going in on Wednesday and I'm off work for a month! I'm not looking forward to the healing time on this one. I'm at least hoping to have a few good smokes while I'm down. The man corner is jonesin' for me to spend some time in it.

Sorry to hear about the surgery. I know recovery from this is arduous. My brother has blown out both of his knees. Try to enjoy the down time though. I'm sure some good smokes will help.

Here's to a good outcome and a speedy recovery!

Well make sure to take it easy. Stepson had both his done this Summer. 1st week was a bitch. They gave him something similar to the cryo cooler (google it, has a ice chest with it), that just worked amazingly. His was a little smaller than the pics and was right under the ace. He was back up in 6weeks to just about better than new. You have to be serious about the PT afterward, too.
So hang in there.

Art

All the best.

I had my MCL and ACL repaired in high school. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit since then and I was much younger, but as long as you listen to the Dr., don't try to do too much too soon, and take the PT seriously, you'll be good as new.

The cooler thing looks great, we'll see if my insurance will pay for it, otherwise it's the old fashioned ice bags. I was just told that the "adult" patient's take it easy like the Dr. say's. I told him that at 40 I still hadn't qualified as an adult but I would try to follow all rehab advice anyway.

How did you tear your knee?

Muay Thai sparring, man it hurt when it happened. I knew it was hurt but today I watched the PA take my shin bone and push it out from my knee approx 2". Man that sucked to see.

I tore my ACL and MCL about 8 yrs ago playing basketball. Ended up not having the surgery! :( I now have the knees of a 80 yr old man! I can predict weather changes pretty good though!

Good luck to you!

The cooler thing looks great, we'll see if my insurance will pay for it, otherwise it's the old fashioned ice bags.

His Ins covered it completely. :)

Art

**edit to add...and when I say that thing works amazingly, thats an understatement. I never saw anything like it. hehehehhe.. He was like a cybor with all the hoses and crap running into the ice cooler..

Wishing you the best for your surgery, Art! Hope the rehab doesn't take too long, brother. Make sure you've got plenty of smokes within arm's reach!

Good luck! I've had my right femur broken twice and I need some work done on my left knee in time. Take your physical therapy seriously (I call them "physical terrorists", but they will get you back on your feet).
Work out your upper body as much as possible during your recovery. Let us know how you're doing...

Mike

Just having surgery I can understand about relaxing.

Hope everything works out and a speedy recovery!

Hey there B-dog. Good luck on your surgery. I don't know which one of us has the worst deal.

Let's hope that we both have a speedy recovery.

/Lou

Good Luck Brother.

If I may ask..

Where are they taking the graft from to do the ACL recon?
Is he also reconing the MCL ? ( Not common, But maybe he will considering your sporting activities)
Your PCL is intact?

I have participated in 250+ of these procedures. Done them Open and arthroscopically.

ACL grafts are usually a 8-10mm strip taken from the Patella Tendon and uses 2 small pieces (8x10mm) compressed blocks of both the tibia and patella to anchor it in place with screws and or suture.
Sometime we can take a graft from the facia lata of the Quad, But they are not as good as a BTB ( bone, tendon, bone) graft IMO.
Or sometimes donor grafts are used, But generally this is if neither of the other 2 are available.

The menisectomy or meniscal work he will do is the easy part.

Just being honest with you too bro.. You will be quite uncomfortable post-operatively .. Stick with the rehab and follow the Docs instructions for post-op care.
Don't be ashamed to take some feel good meds either.. you will need them.

Keeping your range of motion after surgery is critical, you may be in a CPM ( Continuous Passive Motion ) machine in recovery room and a few days afterwards.
This minimizes range loss and keeps the blood flowing while your knee is snuggly ace wrapped to reduce swelling and hematoma formation..

People do well with this procedure and it should allow you to do resume full activity after a few months of easying into it.

you Snoozing or Spinal? ( these are cool procedures to watch for the patient , if done via scope and with a screen in place to see the action) But some people arent into seeing it all , and some docs prefer it one way or the other.. Gotta find a happy medium. )

Good luck.
God Bless.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or another post here if you want to ask something . I'll hook you as best I can :)

Led

Good luck on your knee surgery bro'! You'll be back to kickin' ass in no time.

I hope the operation goes smoothly brother and your recovery is not as bad as you think...... :) :thumbs: :cool: