• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Swelling and splitting.

Vikder

Tonight i smoked the Cameroon Gorilla by Indian Tabac. The cigar was decent, but something weird happened. At the last 2-3" of the cigar the wrapper started to split and the cigar started to swell near the ash. of course this caused the cigar to burn crooked:( Is this a sign of over humidification? The cigar felt fine before i lit it. It felt like it had perfect humidification; no crackling noises, no hard or soft spots, no splits in the wrapper. i'm confused :( any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Vic

Most likely, that is a common cause of swelling/splitting wrapper during smoking.

I have had that happen to many cigars that were kept at 70%+/-1
That is the main reason I try to maintain 65% instead. Since I started working my humi down to 65% it hasn't happened once.

Sorry, I thought this thread was about something else :0

Wascal

The humidor that was holding that cigar stays between 64%-66%. That cigar has been in that humidor for about 2 weeks. It felt a little dry when i got it, but it felt fine after 2 weeks in the 'dor. This is the first cigar from this humidor that has done this. Of course this is also my first cigar of this ring size, so mabye the extra girth exagerated the problem?

Vic