• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Switching from Propylene Glycol

Johnny B

I'm planning an switching over to distilled water only. I'm currently mixing and matching and after reading through the forum I've come to realize that distilled water is the way to go. (No lick tests for me) ;)

Can someone get my pointed in the right direction/give some recommendations on where to buy the stuff I need?

Ive got 2 glass top humidors that are holding 20 or so sticks and one 250 capacity humidor that has roughly 100 sticks in it.

I've got a 320g 72% Boveda and recently ordered a 320g 75% Boveda for the larger humidor. I'm planning on having both of them in the humidor. One on top and and bottom. I've got a couple shot glasses with distilled water and a humicare crystal jar with PG in the bottom ATM.

I've got PG jars in the other two humidors.

I just want to get set up correctly so I can ensure that my sticks will be stored properly.

Have you licked the PG solution to make sure it still tastes salty/burny? :D

If you're using passive, go with heartfelt beads.

LOL - I read that thread... I'm still wondering what that guy was thinking.
Welcome to the club. No one knows what he was thinking, to this day. In a way I miss the characters we used to get around here. Gave me something to do.:D You might spend some time looking at Bill Clinton's, purobrat's, or the notorious trauma sturgeon's posts, if you have a mind to.

Doc

Why are you running such a high RH Boveda?

Great question! I received a humidor from my fiance' that has more glass than wood. The shelves are cedar and I've added cedar planks to the bottom, but other than that the inside is glass and non cedar. The only space I have for it is on a desk which is about 2 ft from both a window and a heat/ac register.

Unfortunately putting it somewhere else isn't an option :(

You know. It is said if there's a will, there's a way. You'll find what works. Having such high humidity is asking for ruined sticks.

I just put the 75% in there today. It's hanging in around 68 RH.

"NewTrue fact - a cooler is by far the cheapest, simplest, easiest to regulate cigar storage there is, short of a cabinet humidor with temperature and humidity control."

I've been seriously considering going that route. I think the best way for me to sell my fiance on that idea is to "outgrow" what I have. ;)

You put a 75 in the box, but are only reading 68.
Where's the missing 7 points going?

Are you certain your hygrometer is accurate?

UPDATE: Closet floor it will be!

I mean, I have to build a shoe rack and some shelving before I can move the humidor... not sure if I can count this as a win, or not.... I'll just chalk it up as a compromise...

Thanks again for all the input and recommendations folks!

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: