• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taking another shot...

cuppajack

I haven't regularly smoked a pipe in many years, but something about the change of seasons has piqued my interest again and I've found myself getting back into piping.

My one major hurdle, which I haven't yet figured out, is that I cannot smoke inside and I don't enjoy a bowl out of doors as much as I find even a slight draft makes the bowl burn hotter than I'd like.

But that isn't the here nor there...

I've got a pipe, of which I am utterly unaware of its brand or pedigree, that my dear mother gave me for Christmas nearly 10 years ago. It is a very nice bent-shape, with a beautiful grain and finish that fits my hand very nicely. Unfortunately I've never had a great bowl in it... I don't think I've managed to get it fully and properly broken in, and every attempt I've made has led me to frustrations. I always end up giving up on the poor beast and picking up my Tinderbox second that smokes like a dream.

Tonight I'm going to make yet another attempt at breaking in the mystery pipe. My mother doesn't buy gifts from the bargain basket, and I know the shop that this pipe came from (the Tinderbox in Costa Mesa, which I've found to be one of the finer examples of the franchise) and I'm sure the staff there hooked her up with a nice pipe when she went to buy. So I feel that the potential for a great smoker is there.

I refuse to give up on this pipe, so wish me luck brothers!

Good luck to you! I know it can take some pipes a long time before they really smoke to their potential. The Grabow I smoked years ago was never as good as it could be for the first 25-30 bowls. After about the 50th bowl, it was a real champ.

Well, I'm happy to report that the bout went fairly well.

I had some issues w/ my pack (I can't seem to pack a 1/2 bowl as well as I can pack a full-bowl for some reason) and as a result I had to contend with many many relights (and the associated bite) but I managed to smoke the (1/2) bowl of Early Morning Pipe all the way to the bottom.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but Another 3-4 bowls and I have a feeling that this pipe will come around...

Glad to hear it! It's always nice when things go well. :)