• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109
7 ¼ x 50

Was up really early this morning, way before light, and let me tell you it was right cool out, especially with the wind blowing like it was.  I had actually thought about sitting outside this morning and smoking, but instead decided to make some fresh sausage out of the pork I bought a couple days ago (turned out good too).  It’s now later in the afternoon, and right at 80F.  We had planned on going to the lake; however the girls decided to go shopping, and I stayed around the house cleaning the pool and such.  Time for a break!

I grabbed the next to last cigar I got in the MAWPIF from Gary (thank you sir), and have really been looking forward to setting fire to this bad boy.  A Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th, which I really didn’t know a lot about.  I pulled it from the slightly yellow cello, and saw that it resembled greatly the Edmundo Dante 109, which this is actually a 109 vitola.  I really like the look of the 109, and this one is spot on.  There were two of these released back in early 2011; a Reserva with Connecticut broadleaf wrapper, and this one with Nicaraguan Rosado wrapper. 

Inspecting this beauty, I find the Rosado wrapper smooth with very little veins, oily looking in the sunlight, and again that really nice 109 cap.  It feels a bit light in the hand, and I punch the cap with the medium ring on my Swiss Army, and then take a few puffs on the cold cigar.  The draw is perfect with a kind of citrus taste coming through along with just really good tobacco.  There’s nice bunching in the foot that lights easily and after a couple puffs is producing lots of smoke. 

My first draw brings a very light bodied smoke that is somewhat sweet and tasting of vanilla bean, cedar wood, and a hint of nutmeg.  The finish is delicious and somewhat lasting on the palate.  I let some smoke escape through the nose and spice is there, but quite mild.  I’m finding the strength to be mild to not quite full, and hope it builds up as it gets some ash on it. 

At about three quarters of an inch in, the medium to dark gray ash is somewhat flaky and falls off rather easily.  I am finding that the draw is getting more on the tight side, so decide to go ahead and punch more off the head with the largest ring on my knife.  However, this doesn’t change anything, so decide to try putting my old cutter, which is in three pieces, back together with some tape.  Well, I did get it cut; however the head pretty much exploded when it did.  I really want to finish this cigar, so used some of the tape I had handy to do a quick repair job, which actually is working quite well.  :D

Smoke is flowing in huge abundance through the now open draw, and continues to be semi-sweet on the palate tasting of vanilla, cedar wood, and what seems to be a hint of citrus.  The body is still on the mild side with the strength sneaking up a notch to a good medium that is more to my liking.  Letting the smoke escape slowly, I find the finish to be semi-lasting with a somewhat clean finish and a slight charred wood.  I’m also getting a really nice twang as well, delicious!

I have to admit, with the soft, warm breeze blowing and sun soaking in, I’m starting to feel my eyes getting heavy.  I may just pull out the hammock, put it up, and take a nice nap.  The pups have already gone there, both sprawled out at my feet passed out.  Most definitely a very relaxing afternoon.  But, then again, I keep eyeing the pontoon thinking it’s a shame to waste such a nice day.  Could very easily hook’r up and take off as it’s only a ten to fifteen minute drive to the lake.  Ah decisions decisions!  LOL! 
But first, I’m going to finish up this outstanding cigar, which is now a little over halfway gone.  The pups decide to get up and go exploring in the edge of the woods, their little feet rustling dead leaves as they walk, letting me know where they are.  I’m taking a few puffs, a good draw, and then sitting it in the ashtray to rest a minute or two before taking another.  Man this is a good smoke, let me tell ya. 

Yeah, the hammock idea is looking better and better the longer I sit here.  My legs started to act up (RLS), so went in and took one of my Mirapex, which helps as they ease up a bit after several minutes.  I continue on with the cigar, the burn sharp with the ash still falling easily every inch or so.  The draw is working well allowing just the right amount of this delicious smoke to flow through.  Flavors are consistent as before, possibly a hint of cinnamon now in the mix with the body and strength remaining the same as well.  Just a really delicious smoke I must say. 

The girls get back and Casey has brought me a Chick-fil-A sandwich with waffle fries and a sweet tea.  Oh yeah!  I take a quick break to devour the food, and after get back to finishing up the cigar.  I have to say this was a real treat to smoke having an excellent draw, perfect burn, and really rich, delicious flavors with a nice, long finish.  I hate that I blew up the head while trying to clip it, but it still smoked just fine with the quick fix.  :D  Many thanks Gary for allowing me the opportunity to try such a fine stogie!

Ugh. Edit feature fail!

Great review.

I'll get some back ground posted when I'm at a computer. :)

Great review thank you. I look forward to the one Gary sent me.

IIRC...Rick wanted to do a ninfa size but that wasn't feasible (rollers decision)...so he went with another size he liked.

He was also looking to go with an as close to habano profile as possible.

All I can say is these smoked great right out of the gate. I enjoy smokes that have little after taste...or if there is one...light.

This cigar lived up to the hype - if not even underrated!

I may have to have one of the last couple! ;)

Great review! You simply set the bar high with your kick ass reviews man! Sounds like an excellent stick.

Nice review! The funny thing is that 2 days ago I did the exact same thing you did with the tape! :laugh: