• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tell me it's better in a pipe...

sterlingnotes

I want to try some Frog Morton, but I understand that the blends are latakia based.

My only experience with latakia is from the Spectre cigar... which i hated.
I also hated the MWAT Kentucky Fire Cured cigar, which tasted very similar to me.
The smokiness overwelmed the cigar and made it very one dimensional.  It was like pulling a log out of a campfire and smoking it.
Which really doesn't sound that bad, now that i think about it, but it wasn't something I liked in a cigar.
I'm hoping that in a pipe, it will be a different experience.

I'm leaning towards the "on the bayou" because it has some perique in it and I enjoy spicyness in a cigar.
Any advice would be welcome.

sterlingnotes said:
I want to try some Frog Morton, but I understand that the blends are latakia based.

I also hated the MWAT Kentucky Fire Cured cigar, which tasted very similar to me.
The smokiness overwelmed the cigar and made it very one dimensional.  It was like pulling a log out of a campfire and smoking it.
Which really doesn't sound that bad, now that i think about it, but it wasn't something I liked in a cigar.

I'm leaning towards the "on the bayou" because it has some perique in it and I enjoy spicyness in a cigar.

If you didn't like those cigars, you probably won't like any blend that has latakia in it.  Its  basically processed the same way (fire curing).  Some of the latakia blends have more smokiness than others so you might tolerate one over the other, but if its the smokiness you didn't like, I wouldn't recommend a latakia based blend.

JMO, of course.

PM me your address. I don't think I have any Frog Morton (I personally find those blends to be bland and overrated), but I can certainly send you some Latakia to try.

One word, VAPER. In the pipe smokers journey one usually eschews latakia blends as he matures as a smoker and embraces Virginia flakes and/or Virginia /Perique blends. BTW perique tastes much different in a pipe than in a cigar, where imo it doesn't belong. Now, be advised, that flakes take a bit more skill to smoke than other pipe tobaccos, but it ain't rocket science. You'll figure it out if you give it a chance. Oh, use a dedicated pipe/pipes to smoke these in. Pipes that have been smoked with latakia have ghosts.

Doc

Thanks for the sampler, Pipe Smoker. I really appreciate it. I'll probably dig into one of them tomorrow.

So, I tried the Frog Morton Cellar that I got from Pipe Smoker (Thanks Again) and it was one of the most enjoyable tobaccos I've tried yet.
Maybe it was just the blend, but the smokiness that I hated in the cigar was still there, but it was more of a background thing compared to the cigars I've tried with the Latakia in it.
The pipe tobacco had a sweetness and body that I didn't get from the cigar. 
In my opinion, it is much better in a pipe.  I'm really looking forward to trying the other samples he sent me now.

No worries man, I'm happy it made it safe and sound. Keep in mind that the FM Cellar is topped with something.

I get that, but at least now I know that I don't need to stay away from a Latakia blend.
Thanks again!

sterlingnotes said:

I've seen some tobaccos described as smoky & sweet.
Maybe you would like them better?

Latakia develops in a different way depending the pipe it is smoked in. I usually tend to smoke it in a smaller bowl, and they taste great!

I kinda compare it the a cigar company that comes out with a blend for their new line of cigars, and a couple vitolas in that blend. It may be enjoyable, in your taste, in a corona, but not in a churchill size... Why? I don't know....it's just that way!

Good to know you're into latakia blends, as I find latakia blends and virginia blends are the ones who age the best. That's what I usually smoke when a pipe is in order, love them!

If you need more info feel free to ask, if you want samples I will gladly send them!

Gianni

Thanks for the offer... I've got a pretty good assortment of stuff to try that I haven't gotten to yet.
I'm glad to see more pipe guys posting lately though.  I still have a lot to learn about pipe tobacco.