• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

That Great Cigar and Where Were You.

Oldmancigar

I’m here to stay
Having a GREAT cigar is sometimes influenced by many items to long to list. As an example: by the having the free time to enjoy the cigar, the location, atmosphere, ambiance /design/ lighting, that comfortable leather seat and the HVAC and the smoke eater system to keep the air from becoming stale and keep those small airborne particles in check.

Other important factors are the friends or family your with and the enjoyable conversations, being on vacation, or enjoying a special occasion . That fabulous meal you had prior, the establishment or environment your enjoying that great cigar in, and possibly the single malt/brandy/wine being consumed also.

So, what is the top one, two or three cigars that you ever smoked and the place you enjoyed them at. And other additional personal features or dimensions that influenced your cigar experience.?

It could be as examples, where you at a park, on cruise ship, at your friends private cigar haven, in your own backyard, going fishing, at a football game or while driving your Duisenberg.😎

or ( as an example)
Smoking your cigar at:

In HAVANA: At the…..
Hotel National or
The Relicario Bar
or while walking The Malecon

In LONDON:
Edward Sahakian Lounge At The Bulgari Hotel
and/or the 30 members only clubs and 50 other cigar friendly sumptuous venues

In NYC:
Casa de Montecristo,
Grand Havana Room
Club Macanudo

Or the Ultimate, the “BIGGS MANSION” in Chicago

“”We all have at least ONE Great Cigar and memory to share””

In the Final Analysis does the atmosphere and the above circumstances influence to make a good cigar really Great.
Or do we smoke a really Great cigar when we are in exceptional space, during a special occasion or with terrific people.

Last edited:
Cigars and conversations in Monroe Mi.
The owner was Mark and he was a hell of a guy, 3 leather fat man chairs and a well worn table by the window. I had my first cigar there and countless after.

The cigar affair in Maumee Ohio, historical building and a massive 3 room walk in humidor. If you can't find it there then most B&M won't have it. Shared a few with some friends there and really like that place.

Finally Casa de habana in Toledo Ohio. Classy lots of wood and leather 2 story smoking lounge and a great bar. I have spent more money here than I care to mention, all of it worth it. Also celebrated my 10th anniversary there with my wife after our dinner.

Last edited:
St. Louis 2017 with Larry Niemann ("golfgar" -- HBD today, my friend. I miss you.), without a doubt. I was in town for a conference, and another buddy of mine drove down to hang out. It was the only night I had free to see people, so Larry invited all of us to his club for dinner, drinks, and cigars. He brought along a Partagas Culebras that we all shared. A first for me. It wasn't a world-changing cigar, to be honest, but given everything, it was the greatest cigar I've ever smoked. We would lose Larry less than two years later.

Sharing some Mag 54s with one of my best friends in Hawaii in December last year is probably number two on the list. I've smoked with Gabe on multiple occasions when I lived there (always fantastic because of his location on the North Shore beach), but getting to see him again after moving away was really special, and getting to share a CC with him (and gift some, as well) made those some of the best cigars I've ever smoked.

As for actual great tobacco, the few "unicorns" that I've been fortunate enough to experience (gifted by a generous BOTL here I don't have to name) fall into that category for sure. The most surprising specific cigar I can label as "great" was a Flatbed Panacea black label belicoso. It is the first (and still one of the only) cigars where flavors and notes jumped out at me and knocked me in the taste buds. I felt like a pretentious Cigar Aficionado reviewer talking about everything I experienced with that cigar. It was at the Pearl City house in Hawaii, probably 2017 or 2018 sometime.

The other post was getting long, but I also want to add the times I've smoked with Jon (@cabaiguan juan), John (@JHolmes763), James (@Smokin'Sims ), and Trey (Spad31). I think that JHolmes was the first CP member that I had met in person and smoked with. He was stationed in Belgium and had come over to Little America where we were stationed in Germany. IIRC, we froze our asses off sitting outside on that bench, but it was great conversation, the beginning of a friendship that continues to this day, and he gave me my first Undercrown. :)

I met Jon in Hawaii when he was there for a family visit. This was just a fantastic, lazy day. I picked him up in town, and we had lunch at a restaurant that is no longer there, unfortunately, and then smoked cigars on the lanai at my house for a few hours before another cross-island trek.

James got to experience planes, trains, and automobiles (and buses) all in one day when he flew into Amsterdam with an overnight layover. I too the train up to AMS where I met James and his son, then after a few more trains and buses we ended up smoking cigars on my patio just wasting time. The best use of free time I can think of in that situation. I was unsure of what to expect when meeting James (I only really knew of his credentials -- which are daunting to us lowly BA holders). However, he is the most laid back dude, and he and his son were great company.

Trey and his family were good friend of my family when we lived in Germany. We got together and smoked cigars on many occasions. He is another CP member who I miss terribly.

It's a long list between two posts here, but a cigar is made great by the company you share it with, not just the way it burns, the way it tastes, or the country it comes from. I've had rather mediocre cigars that were made great by the shared experience, and I've had expensive cigars that I've wanted to toss while smoking alone and reading out back.

Not one in particular. For me the memories of hanging out with the NY HERF crew back in the day 2007-2010. Some amazing herfs lots of great cigars that I was introduced to by the crew and of course the best part is the great company. Wish some of the people who are still around would get together to reminisce about these good times

It's a long list between two posts here, but a cigar is made great by the company you share it with, not just the way it burns, the way it tastes, or the country it comes from. I've had rather mediocre cigars that were made great by the shared experience, and I've had expensive cigars that I've wanted to toss while smoking alone and reading out back.

’’’’’Let it Be Written, Let it Be Done’’’’’​

Attachments

• DE50630D-90C7-4FC0-B7B4-F9FC36126F39.jpeg
    DE50630D-90C7-4FC0-B7B4-F9FC36126F39.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 1
Sitting on the beautiful covered porch of the historic Partridge Hotel in Augusta, Georgia about 8:30 Wednesday evening of Masters week in 2003. I was invited, along with some other associates, to the Masters by a client. We had a fabulous meal and retired to the porch for after dinner drinks and conversation when our host pulled out a box of authentic Cubans. I had only smoked a couple of very cheap cigars in my life at that point and they had left my mouth tasting like I’d licked an ashtray. When offered a Cuban I politely declined saying it would be a shame to waste a fine cigar on someone who didn’t like cigars. At that point my host said I had obviously never had a good cigar. He pressed a cigar into my hand. An hour or so later I had a finished both an excellent cigar and a fine single malt. I had the week of my life and checked off a bucket list item I never thought would happen. My wife later told some friends I didn’t go to a golf tournament, but that I’d been on a pilgrimage where I had a religious experience.

Needless to say both those hobbies have stayed with me. Last night I sat out on my back deck overlooking the 12th fairway with a La Aroma de Cuba Pasion and an Aberlour. And my wife is still married to me. Ain’t life something.

One of my most fond cigar memories was in January of this year. Two of my closest friends had a baby late December of 2020. I brought two Davidoff Yamasas to celebrate. We sat in his little 10x10 workshop freezing our asses off because the propane heater took a shit. It was there and then that he asked if my wife and I would be the god parents to their daughter. A very special moment for me indeed. I could have been smoking an Acid and it still would have been one of the best cigars I had ever had.

Beyond that, every Saturday night on the V herf. Cigars always taste better when you’re surrounded by a bunch of great brothers!

One of my most fond cigar memories was in January of this year. Two of my closest friends had a baby late December of 2020. I brought two Davidoff Yamasas to celebrate. We sat in his little 10x10 workshop freezing our asses off because the propane heater took a shit. It was there and then that he asked if my wife and I would be the god parents to their daughter. A very special moment for me indeed. I could have been smoking an Acid and it still would have been one of the best cigars I had ever had.

Beyond that, every Saturday night on the V herf. Cigars always taste better when you’re surrounded by a bunch of great brothers!
Not gonna lie this story made me want to awww.

images (1).jpeg