• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Arran Malt Cask Strength 12 Y.O.

Liquid fire. :)

I'd purchased, and really enjoyed The Arran Malts Amarone (stellar!) and Port (lovely!) cask finishes before, and at $47 couldn't resist this one---I have a real love for cask strength expressions in general, and was eager to try another.

Not a lot of info on the casking, but the tasting notes suggested it was probably a traditional bourbon barrel finish, and tasting confirmed this---lots of nutty, oaky overtones and a hint of smoke. Past the initial burn, this is a full, thick, typical Arran offering with a long smooth finish and very enjoyable. Very rich with a strong taste of honey and figs and a deep straw coloration.

I'm loving it. Highly recommended.

~Boar

It is a little hot but would be a real cracker at 18 yo. Maybe in a few years we'll get lucky and they'll bottle one.

I just purchased a bottle of their Bothy Quarter Cask, another cask strength Arran Malt. The packaging said it was matured in bourbon casks and then finished in new oak, so I'm quite looking forward to having a dram later tonight. Nothing like taking a new single malt out for a spin! ;)

~Boar

"The Bothy" is rather nice. :D

Nice backbone, not quite as fiery as the other cask strength was. Opens with loads of vanilla, dropping an ice cube in releases tons and tons of cinnamon. Just generally a very tasty, very assertive dram. Quite like it.

~Boar