• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The "F" word......Please Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Rule #11: No excessive cussing....

After returning to CP after a somewhat lengthy hiatus, I began reading threads in all areas of the board. It didn't take long before I saw the "F" word in a post! :( I re-read the thread, and sure enough, it was spelled out, in black and white. I read a few more posts and sure enough, the "F" word popped up again. :angry: After seeing multiple posts with cuss words in them, I PM'd Rod and asked if the policy had been changed. His response was NO! The "F" word is not tolerated.

I requested one member to change his use of the "F" word, in his post, and he's yet to do so. Disappointing, to say the least, but he may have not re-read the thread, so I'm addressing my concerns here!

Saying the "F" word, goes away right after it's said. If not in the general area, bystanders will never hear that you said it. If you type it, in a post, it'll be available for everyone to see, forever! This is not what I want CP to appear like, to people who stop by to check out our home!

This is not a bar, locker room, break room, etc. Please treat it like you would if your family was reading everything you're posting.

If you've posted, using the "F" word, please edit the word from your post. I know I would greatly appreciate it and believe there may be a few others who would as well.

Floyd T.

PS: I am not a moderator, as CP does not have them. I am a concerned member, addressing an issue I'd like to see NOT get out of hand!

I'm not so sure I see it quite like that.

After much thought and looking around the forum, these are the items that I have found where Rod has stated his case as it pertains to cussing etc.;

11.) No excessive cussing. This is a cigar community, not a high school locker room.

- Cussing… The cussing seems to be increasingly more and more. I’m by no means a prude, however if you’re posting in the forum, please keep the cussing to a minimum. I really don’t care to see the “F” bomb flying around carelessly.

Make no mistake, I am on board with Rod in that I don't really care to see the careless use of flagrant foul words but on the other hand, this ain't 2nd Grade. Occasional language to punctuate a point, to stress a sentiment, etc... I understand that and support it. In the other extreme, to use harsh language wrapped around every noun, verb, adverb and adjective is turn off and completely unnecessary. That kind of trash talk does not appeal to me, but let's be grown men about this.

I don't want to have to worry about every little word I post here. I'm not interested in Big Grammar Brother always looking over my shoulder. And I absolutely do not believe that any threads should be 'cleansed' of the offending prose all for the sake of appeasing someone's sense of moral. That's way too Orwellian for me.

I agree if CP is as mature as we all claim it is then I think we can handle the occasional "F" word. Like sonuvabum said this ain't 2nd grade.

I'm not so sure I see it quite like that.

After much thought and looking around the forum, these are the items that I have found where Rod has stated his case as it pertains to cussing etc.;

11.) No excessive cussing. This is a cigar community, not a high school locker room.

- Cussing… The cussing seems to be increasingly more and more. I'm by no means a prude, however if you're posting in the forum, please keep the cussing to a minimum. I really don't care to see the "F" bomb flying around carelessly.

Make no mistake, I am on board with Rod in that I don't really care to see the careless use of flagrant foul words but on the other hand, this ain't 2nd Grade. Occasional language to punctuate a point, to stress a sentiment, etc... I understand that and support it. In the other extreme, to use harsh language wrapped around every noun, verb, adverb and adjective is turn off and completely unnecessary. That kind of trash talk does not appeal to me, but let's be grown men about this.

I don't want to have to worry about every little word I post here. I'm not interested in Big Grammar Brother always looking over my shoulder. And I absolutely do not believe that any threads should be 'cleansed' of the offending prose all for the sake of appeasing someone's sense of moral. That's way too Orwellian for me.

I agree with Gary on this one. While there certainly is no need for someone to go on a profanity laced rant, the occasional use of a cuss word or two shouldn't be frowned upon even if it is the "F" word. No, this isn't a locker room, but we are all big boys here and it's tough to keep everyone happy all the time, so there has to be a happy medium with any sort of thing that might be offensive. While I certainly respect your tenure Floyd, just because one person doesn't care for something, doesn't mean the entire board needs to change things to try and keep one person happy. I only say it that way because in your post, everything was stated with "I", making it sound like since you don't agree with it, posts should be changed immediately and any further use needs to be stopped completely.

I can see both sides of this issue and don't really know where I stand. I am not one who is offended by occasional swear words, if it's every other word, then yes it gets a little much. It doesn't seem there is a lot of profanity around here and I was always under the impression it was frowned upon. If you look at the membership numbers here and the number of posts if every member let one F bomb slip a year, that's a lot of F bombs for guests of the site to view, two F bombs a year etc. You can see where that goes. I guess in the end we are all grown ups and can handle it, but I would likely be on the side of caution as when you put it on the internet it's there to stay.

I myself would prefer not to see the word used in regular conversation. However, if it is then I usually don't pay it much attention as it is going to be used now and again. Just not excessively as the rule states.

I'm with Floyd on this one. Smoking a good cigar is such a civilized activity that it should translate into other parts of our being.

Smoke more..... curse less :thumbs:.

I'm with Floyd on this one. Smoking a good cigar is such a civilized activity that it should translate into other parts of our being.

While I agree on your "Smoke more..........curse less" philosophy sometimes it's necessary and appropriate to convey much needed emotion.
I do not however, think it's okay to drop the F - bomb every other word, or any other cuss words for that matter.

I will not tolerate this type of behavior, don't like CP? Get the fuck out!

I agree. :)

I agree that in some cases profanity might be overlooked. Unfortunately, the chances of us all agreeing on when it is accepted is slim to none. That being so, I'd rather not see it.

I don't believe that I've ever really thought of cigar smoking as such a civilized activity, ymmv. It is certainly an adult activity and since we're all adults here a little cussing is ok as long as it's not excessive. Of all of them I do believe the "F" word, having the most shock value, should be kept to a minimum.

I'm too new here to really weigh in on this discussion, but I would like to add a link where there was recently a pretty good discussion of this topic.

LINKY

I believe the F word has it's use, it's better than a stick in the eye.

BBMF Thread

After reading this thread, I believe there is no further need to beat this horse.

If ya need it to make your point more fervently, have at it. Apparently, Rod has no issues with it.

Floyd T.

BBMF Thread

After reading this thread, I believe there is no further need to beat this horse.

If ya need it to make your point more fervently, have at it. Apparently, Rod has no issues with it.

Floyd T.

Welcome Back Floyd! Rules smooles!

From the other thread, I think Not a Nice Person said it pretty darn well:

I'm not personally offended by any language that falls short of actually catching me and my dog on fire, but we'd perhaps all do well to remember this is a large community representing a wide spectrum of beliefs and lifestyles, not a high school locker room.

The flip side is that this is a cigar forum, and colorful language occasionally gets used. It seems like it's pretty darn rare and I don't believe it's cause for concern.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

I just realized I was the one Floyd was refering to and have sent him a PM regarding the matter.

Oy, I'm not one to let the curse words fly around (well, at least not here at CP), but if we're truly worried about how proper and virtuous we appear to non-members and not letting this become a "lockerroom", then how do we justify all the cigar girl posts, the avatars of scantily clad women, and the good-natured yet not PC ribbing over someones, em, masculinity? C'mon guys, nobody wants CP to become a stale environment. I'm certainly not advocating letting everyone curse like sailors, but like it or not, there is an aspect of "lockerroom" that has been here aside from cursing.

Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.