• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Technology Train Passed Me By...

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
As many of you know I've been serving overseas for a good while (next month it will be seven years). For all the technology that Japan exports, they don't really use it here. We didn't have Internet service at our apartment when we first moved in, and my landlord STILL doesn't have it -- or a computer! Everyone here has a cell phone, but they seem to be more interested in buying goofy charms to hang from it than actually getting phones with capabilities. Smart phones hit the market here about a year ago but are not widely popular. Computers...even less so. (Don't ask me to explain it, I'm just reporting the news.)

When we moved from Fredericksburg, VA in 2004 our cell phones had no text, no camera, no apps and no color. We're looking to move back to the same area next month and I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy and what to avoid.

I have a cell phone here, but I only use it to call my wife. I'm sure I'd find increased uses for one when we get home, but I've never been someone who can't leave home without it. (I'm one of the guys who makes fun of people who go to the club on Friday nights wearing their BlackBerry on their hip.) A friend of mine who lives in the Fredericksburg area told me to get Verizon cell phones, even though they are more expensive, because their coverage is the best. We had Verizon before we left and were happy with them, but I'm not sure what hardware we should buy. Is an iPhone all it's cracked up to be? Should I get a smart phone or a dumb one? (I have yet to look at pricing plans, so I really have no idea how much things cost, but I'm sure I'm in for a rude awakening.)

My wife and I both have laptops and I have a desktop computer I use for bills and other PII work. We use our laptops mainly for Internet surfing and email. (My wife has a Facebook addiction, so I'll be looking for a 12 step program for her when we get to the States. ;) ) So, we're set for computers for a while, but I've heard the iPad is really useful for lots of things (driving directions, aviation apps, email on the go, etc) but I'm not sure I'll need one. Is an iPad something I should invest in?

What about TV? My friend told me he pays over $200/mo for TV/Internet/house phone bundle, but he has 4 teen-aged kids and we don't. We aren't big TV watchers but I do follow Indycar and football. (I've had to get up at 2am to watch the Indy 500 for the past 7 yrs.) I'm looking forward to building an airplane when I get back, so I won't be sitting on the couch channel surfing much. While we've been in Japan we've had Armed Forces Network with about 7 channels for $13/mo and honestly that's been sufficient. Sure, it would be nice to have NatGeo, Discovery or the Food channel, but we haven't really missed having "57 channels with nothing on." Is cable TV still the way to go, or is something like Direct TV better?

I'll take any and all suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Hey, I thought *I* was the only IndyCar fan here!

Can't help much on the technology front, as I've been out of the loop for about a year, myself. I was TDY to Okinawa in 1997, and I do recall how behind the times it seemed.

the Android has gotten the drop on the Iphones, it's been reviewed as a much more efficient phone as far as smart phones are concerned. If you find yourself playing phone games, checking your e-mail alot, checking facebook, surfing the web for info, listening to music, using a GPS --all from your phone, then a smartphone is for you, if you're just going to use your phone strictly for phone calls, don't waste the money, most smartphones require a data plan for internet. More Expensive.
Same rules apply for the Ipad as smartphones, a waste of money unless you plan to use it for games/reading/music... It only has Wi-fi abilities, no 3G or direct internet capabilities. An Ipad is just a dumbed down laptop with a touchscreen. Apple has alot of new competition coming out soon in the tablet world.
As for a television is concerned, we've come as far as 3-D tv now, so your options are endless. Direct-TV has a ton of single and combo package options, obviously its better than cable tv and sometimes cheaper.

57?!! I have 400 channels with nothing on! lol

I am the worst when it comes to new technologies. I really don't know why. Have just always been slow to embrace it. Perhaps it just doesn't "turn me on".
I also like to spend my disposable income on my hobbies, and I would much rather add to a collection (another thing that ultimately makes little sense to me, unless the item holds some intrinsic value which results in increased value over time.) Or, spend the money on my boy, whom I spoil with reckless abandon.

TV: I have basically been experimenting with Netflix and Hulu. I myself could be perfectly happy with what is offered. In fact, more happy, as I have complete choice over what I watch, and when. My son, not sure yet, as I am still making sure he will be happy with this plan. If it works, I wind up saving $85.00 a month!

Smartphone: My boy has recently asked me about the smart phones. I don't know if I want to go there, yet. I am still learning about all they offer, and at some point I'll know enough to make an informed decision. I love items that multi-task. And this is one that seems to do that in spades, and it's portable! I need to make cost comparisons, and determine what I would drop, etc, to see what the cost differance would be. In todays hectic world, and the multitude of life aiding features these offer, I suspect that I will eventually get on board.

I'm not so sure that the Japanese don't use Ethernet based computers in their homes as compared to just having 3G on their phones, which makes for more portability. My son had a friend who lives in the countryside of Japan and when she and her friend stayed with us, her cell phone had a little pop out screen that would stream TV shows while they were on the train. This was even before the smartphone rage had even taken hold here.

I finally made the transition to a smartphone middle of last year 2010 and I wouldn't go back to a regular phone, ever. Check out the cell phone forums and you'll obtain all the info you need to make a better decision.

Get an iPhone... it's the best selling smart phone in Japan for a reason.

I agree with Andrew, get an iphone if you like to overspend on outdated tech or long to be a hipster. Get an Android device if you really want to USE your phone to it's full capabilities without being hamstrung by Steve Jobs and Apple.

android-vs-iphone-infographic.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't realize there were so many choices when it came to phones and such. The androids look interesting, and are significantly cheaper at Verizon's web site. I'm going to have to wrestle with the question of how I'll use my phone when I get back to the States. I'm sure if I had a smart phone I'd find uses for it, but I just don't know if I really need all that fluff.

I finally made the transition to a smartphone middle of last year 2010 and I wouldn't go back to a regular phone, ever. Check out the cell phone forums and you'll obtain all the info you need to make a better decision.

What is it about a smart phone that makes you never want to go back? Also, if you have a suggestion for a cell phone forum I should visit let me know. (I had no idea there were even such things!)

Hey, I thought *I* was the only IndyCar fan here!

Nope, not the only one! Being born and raised in the midwest I've stayed true to my roots no matter where I've lived.

The only thing I dislike about my Droid, is the battery life. Just my opinion.

TV: I have basically been experimenting with Netflix and Hulu.

We do Netflix via mail here, but we can't stream movies internationally. I'll have to look into that when we get home -- thanks for the tip.

Smartphone... I love items that multi-task. And this is one that seems to do that in spades, and it's portable! I need to make cost comparisons, and determine what I would drop, etc, to see what the cost differance would be. In todays hectic world, and the multitude of life aiding features these offer, I suspect that I will eventually get on board.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

57?!! I have 400 channels with nothing on! lol

I suppose The Boss couldn't find anything to ryhme with "400 channels and nothing on"... ;)

We live in Federicksburg and have always had good luck with Verizon as well coverage wise. My wife and I upgraded our phones the first of the year and at first wanted the iphones, but they were not available through Verizon at the time.
Normally, we do not support Best Buy, but they had a sale on the Samsung Fascinate phones for $50.00 that even the Verizon stores could not come close to.

Wife and I could not be happier with our phones and the applications we have downloaded for free. Facebook, Amazon Kindle, Twitter for the wife. She uses some sort of Medscape program for her nursing job as well.

I like all the games, news and weather feeds, as well as the Google Maps GPS feature. I hardly even use my Garmin anymore. The camera takes really nice pics and videos as well. Like anything YMMV, but we could not be happier and were not upset when the IP4 came out a few month later.

You might check into seeing if Verizon will give a military discount with them as well. My wife got us a 20% monthly discount being a nurse at INOVA Fairfax Hospital......... Even if you are getting out soon. ;)

As far as TV and internet goes, it depends on where you move in the area. Out in the boonies, you might be Direct TV only, which you can bundle with Verizon phone and Internet.

I dropped them at my last house in WV after getting tired of the picture going out every time it rained or stormed losing the Satellite signal .

Comcast Cable came in and gave me much better pricing for the bundle package with faster internet. My download speeds with Verizon was around 7mbps and is like 32mbps with Comcast. They all have pros and cons as far as programming goes...... Comcast includes Fox Soccer Channel, where Direct TV it is $12.99 a month extra for instance. Direct TV has better NFL coverage. Comcast has On Demand free movies and TV shows.

You can also just get internet and stream Netflix through a Wii, Playstation, or a Blue Ray player like my inlaws do. Plenty of movies and TV shows to watch when you want, minus the commercials for about $14.95 monthly. Only drawback is that you do not have local TV news, etc.

All of the TV and internet bundle providers will offer you low intro rates. You just have to follow up every six months or so to keep your cost down. They always will reduce your monthly billing to keep you with them.

ETA: My wife wasn't too sure when I bought her an Ipad for her Birthday recently, and even contemplated taking it back thinking it was too expensive of a toy . She now can't leave it alone and her laptop sits collecting dust.

Thanks for all the input guys. I didn't realize there were so many choices when it came to phones and such. The androids look interesting, and are significantly cheaper at Verizon's web site. I'm going to have to wrestle with the question of how I'll use my phone when I get back to the States. I'm sure if I had a smart phone I'd find uses for it, but I just don't know if I really need all that fluff.

What is it about a smart phone that makes you never want to go back? Also, if you have a suggestion for a cell phone forum I should visit let me know. (I had no idea there were even such things!)

The deciding factor(s)? Took the family to Disneyland and brought my Garmin so we could get to some malls, my son's iPhone blew away the Garmin with the navigation feature. Checked the airlines for flight status, checked in, changed our seats, found other places to eat while in LA, etc. With the phone, I can check multiple emails wherever I get a 3g signal versus having to go find a wi-fi spot and turn on a laptop. Plus, I just bought the extended DroidX battery and now my phone lasts all day with normal use as opposed to just half a day. The biggest reason, I check CP while in the shitter! :laugh: come on guys, I know you're guilty of this too!

I gotta get the little one to school, maybe some of the others can link some forums for me.

Dave

Same rules apply for the Ipad as smartphones, a waste of money unless you plan to use it for games/reading/music... It only has Wi-fi abilities, no 3G or direct internet capabilities. An Ipad is just a dumbed down laptop with a touchscreen. Apple has alot of new competition coming out soon in the tablet world.

I didn't do a search to check the original Ipad but the Ipad 2 has 3G available for an extra $100 or so at time of purchase. I was told once you buy the Ipad no upgrades are available in terms of memory. I assume the same to be true for 3G but that is just my opinion.

Regarding the smartphone vs. regular phone question, I believe Verizon has a 15 day return policy so you can always start with a regular phone, but I think when you see everyone using smartphones and you see all that can be done with them, you'll want one as well.

Both Android and iPhone have Google Maps built in so there's no need to buy a tablet if that's all you want it for.  Android's version comes with turn by turn directions so it's like using a Garmin GPS, and it's free.  My guess is Apple has an app that does turn by turn but I don't know what it is or how much it costs.  Either way is a good choice.  I've had several Android devices and I have an iPad and I really like using a tablet, though I probably use the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G more these days.  This is a good time to be looking for a phone, with iPhone 5 rumored to be coming out next month and the Motorola Droid Bionic just out.  

Regarding TV, better to check with people who are familiar with your local area, but I think they (cable vs. DirecTV) are about equal.  I've heard that Verizon FIOS is phenomenal, but I don't get it in GA so I can't say first hand.

The iphone now has a larger selection of turn-by-turn direction applications that are suppose to be pretty decent. I haven't tried them myself, I just use google maps. Looks like MapQuest 4 Mobile looks like a good bet. http://www.macworld.com/article/156720/2011/01/gps.html

Rob,

After reading most of the posts on this topic, I believe it's gonna be up to you to decide. I've had the iPhone and DroidX and liked them both. I had them while employed and it was nice to be able to check emails while out of the office. It was also nice to be able to "waste" time on the net, while bored during slow times hunting. However, after realizing I'm NOT the target audience for the DroidX, (I don't facebook, twitter, listen to music, watch movies or game), I figured I"d save a ton of money with a "dumb" phone. I can use it to call and text, with the occasional pic text and get by fine. Verizon has been the best provider for me, in my travels around Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. I've also had good service driving from KY to NY. ATT sux! Way too many dead spots and dropped calls.

I'll say I hate phone calls while I am enjoying life, so I may not be the best guy to take advice from. My recommendation though, is to stay free of the "ball and chain" and get a phone, NOT a portable computer! Good luck with your decision!!! ;^)

Floyd T.