• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The tragedies of winter

khellos

Well, a couple of weeks ago I was at a B&M in NYC and picked up a Chateau Fuente along with a few other singles. I tried smoking it last week but what I assume to be the dryness of the air caused the wrapper to rip like tissue paper and large pieces of it just fell off. I made do and smoked it anyway and can tell you that even a wrapper-less Fuente is delicious.

Normally that would be the end of it, but I was browsing the selection at Cigars International and saw that the regular Fuente line had a green trim on the band and around the cedar. I realized what had really been destroyed: A Sun-Grown Chateau Fuente. I was kicking myself. Harder.

Is the SG line really as hard to find as I hear it is? Does anyone have any tips to prevent the destruction of wrappers while smoking outside during winter?

Hmm, I suppose clip less of the cap.

I'd also suggest you warm it up abit by holding it in your hands, or something, before lighting a freezing cigar.
The instant flash of heat from lighting it could case the wrapper to blow, and hence fall apart.

They aren't hard to find. Still sucks when a good smoke gets ruined by the cold though. :angry:

It sounds like you're thinking about the 858 SG.

Ahh, so the rarity is 858 exclusive? I wonder why.

And "K", it wasn't a problem with the cap, the wrapper didn't so much unwrap as tear down the center. I think it was from the wrapper being unable to hold the filler as it dried out from the cold weather.

When smoking in the dead of dry winter, I typically rinse the cigar in a gentle stream of water prior to lighting up. Since I've been doing this, I've never had a wrapper split on me.

Wilkey

When smoking in the dead of dry winter, I typically rinse the cigar in a gentle stream of water prior to lighting up. Since I've been doing this, I've never had a wrapper split on me.

Wilkey

Seriously?

Can you be more specific about what you do - I honestly cannot imagine it.

Yes, I'm serious. I plan to write an illustrated post on this technique but I've been waiting for the weather to get cold enough and dry enough. And now it is.

Wilkey

Yes, I'm serious. I plan to write an illustrated post on this technique but I've been waiting for the weather to get cold enough and dry enough. And now it is.

Wilkey
That's what you said the last time this subject came up, perhaps a year ago...nudge nudge, wink wink...right, storm the illustration :laugh:

Brian

Wilkey

?

I typically smoke in 32F or less so I usually try and smoke something with a hardy wrapper or warm the garage up with an area heater for a bit then smoke in there, the local B&M is a good place too. Never tried giving my cigar a bath though...

John

Wilkey

That would be great, thanks Wilkey.

Wilkey

?

I typically smoke in 32F or less so I usually try and smoke something with a hardy wrapper or warm the garage up with an area heater for a bit then smoke in there, the local B&M is a good place too. Never tried giving my cigar a bath though...

John
Wilkey's method has saved a few of my smokes...

Just run some spring water over the cigar from the head down before you cut the cap. Be sure none gets into the foot. Allow to dry, de-cap and enjoy.

Brian

Wilkey
That's what you said the last time this subject came up, perhaps a year ago...nudge nudge, wink wink...right, storm the illustration :laugh:

Brian
I knew you would remember this. It is at the top of my list this break. And I have the perfect cigar for it. The Montecristo Afrique. That cigar has a hellishly thin and fragile wrapper and I've popped a few even in the middle of summer.

Wilkey

I've had the same problem with the havana VI aristas I'll try the water method tomorrow and report back, supposed to be a high of 29F so that should do it, or something with a cameroon wrapper those always seem to blow up on me. My wife just got a new digital camera so I'll try to add some pics.

John

Wilkey's method has saved a few of my smokes...

Just run some spring water over the cigar from the head down before you cut the cap. Be sure none gets into the foot. Allow to dry, de-cap and enjoy.

Brian

I NEVER would have thought to do that. So it just acts like a mega-humidification of the wrapper, huh? Does it affect the burn at all - tunneling for example?

It does not affect the burn as far as I can tell. If the cigar is going to run on a side due to underfilling, it won't help at all.

I run it under water head up for about 10 seconds while twirling it a bit. Try not to get the inside of the foot wet. I spread the water out over the wrapper with my fingers and then blot dry with a paper towel.

You are right, it provides a super humidification to the wrapper to make it more supple and deal with the expansion of the bunch as it heats up from the burn. The cigar would naturally moisten up as you smoke it but in dry weather, the wrapper may be pushed past its limit before it has had a chance to get sufficiently humidified from internal moisture.

Wilkey

It does not affect the burn as far as I can tell. If the cigar is going to run on a side due to underfilling, it won't help at all.

I run it under water head up for about 10 seconds while twirling it a bit. Try not to get the inside of the foot wet. I spread the water out over the wrapper with my fingers and then blot dry with a paper towel.

You are right, it provides a super humidification to the wrapper to make it more supple and deal with the expansion of the bunch as it heats up from the burn. The cigar would naturally moisten up as you smoke it but in dry weather, the wrapper may be pushed past its limit before it has had a chance to get sufficiently humidified from internal moisture.

Wilkey

That's a hell of a trick. I will definitely give it a shot next time I smoke a delicate stick outside. Which will likely be tomrrow :laugh:

I baptize thee, in the name of Arturo, Carlito, and the J.C. Newman cigar Co. Amen.

Doc.

And why is this so different then the licking many people do before lighting their cigars?

Well Ray,

It's not different in the sense of moistening the wrapper. The technique that Infinity and I are referring to has special applicability to winter smoking because it allows you to wet the entire wrapper from head to foot. Plus, it's a bit more hygienic and seemly.

I suppose a pretty woman working a churchill like a you-know-what would be sexy but jamokes like I smoke with would just look weird deep throating a cigar. ???

Wilkey