• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on red cedar

H. Vachon

King of the Hobo Hut
So I’ve been wanting to build a coolerdor for a while now and I’m ready to pull the trigger. I wanted to line the inside or at least build shelves on the inside because I hate taking everything out of my current humi to get sticks from the bottom. Spanish cedar is not readily available locally but red cedar is. Are there any downsides to using red cedar over Spanish? Thanks in advance!

No. Not the same family of tree.
Spanish Cedar is in the mahogany family.

There are two Red Cedars in the US. Eastern is in the Juniper family and Western is the Thuja family...

So I’ve been wanting to build a coolerdor for a while now and I’m ready to pull the trigger. I wanted to line the inside or at least build shelves on the inside because I hate taking everything out of my current humi to get sticks from the bottom. Spanish cedar is not readily available locally but red cedar is. Are there any downsides to using red cedar over Spanish? Thanks in advance!

You can order Spanish cedar from Woodcraft, Rockler, Amazon, etc. But the cost per board foot needs to be looked at. It can get pretty crazy.

Many cigar boxes are made from Spanish cedar. Save your boxes and used the wood from them. Also your local B&M is a good source for empty boxes.
That’s a great idea. As long as I have shelves I’ll be happy. That would work great!

Red cedar is great for fences, not good for humidor! You don't need cedar for a coolidor, all you need are beads. You just stack the boxes in there and let the beads do their job.

Is there a local woodcraft near you? When I made spanish cedar drawers for my humidor, that is where i got it at.

The closest one is about 40 miles from here. I may just put in wire shelves to start and revisit the cedar when more businesses are back open. I don’t currently have any cedar in my humidor (minus boxes) so I won’t really be losing anything from what I currently have.

The closest one is about 40 miles from here. I may just put in wire shelves to start and revisit the cedar when more businesses are back open. I don’t currently have any cedar in my humidor (minus boxes) so I won’t really be losing anything from what I currently have.
Boxes are plenty. That's all I ever had in my coolers when I had them.

Probably a good idea, from what I remember, it isn't the least expensive wood either, but the pieces I got were a little bit thicker for what I was making.