• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Three Nuns

bilder

Finally bit the bullet and bought a few tins of Three Nuns. Should arrive from Switzerland in a week or two.

Lets hope that what was good enough for C.S Lewis is good enough for me.

Review to follow shortly after it gets here.

I've tried it several times...it's good stuff! :thumbs:

Three Nuns and original Momo are tops for me, but I'll admit I'm not the most experienced pipe smoker.

I had never heard it so I just read up on it, sounds like some really amazing stuff. I noticed a couple of places in the US sell it but for crazy prices. What is the cost of a tin if you order from Switzerland?

Price was just over 16 bucks a tin including shipping.

They have a way to cut the shipping down by taking the tobacco out of the tins and vac-sealing it, but I opted to keep it tinned.

http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com

Price was just over 16 bucks a tin including shipping.

They have a way to cut the shipping down by taking the tobacco out of the tins and vac-sealing it, but I opted to keep it tinned.

http://www.pipesandtobaccos.com

Thanks for the link, bilder. That is actually not that bad.

Joshy, want to do a little group buy and order some?

I'm assuming this is the new Three Nuns and not the vintage stuff?

I've seen the vintage stuff from $80 - $150 for a 50 gram tin, but I heard it's amazing. I'm holding on to all my VaPer blends in hopes that some day they reach this quality status.

Yes, it is the new stuff.

I hear that it is good, but not as good as the old blend. It seems to be a common theme in pipe tobacco. Not sure if it is true or if the forbidden fruit paradox comes into play.

I wish I had three nuns arriving from Switzerland :whistling:

I've seen the vintage stuff from $80 - $150 for a 50 gram tin, but I heard it's amazing. I'm holding on to all my VaPer blends in hopes that some day they reach this quality status.
Do you think that anyone who paid that much for a tin would tell you anything else?

Doc.

I got a hold of a tin of this stuff early last spring. It was the original stuff. It had little flavor to be honest. It was almost like smoking a really light bodied cigar that has only that "ashy" taste. The tin seemed to be in fine shape when I opened it.

Had I paid for it, I would have been VERY disappointed. Since it was a well meaning gift from a friend, I'm glad I had the experience to try it. :)

I've not tried the newer stuff.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Do you think that anyone who paid that much for a tin would tell you anything else?

Doc.

I actually haven't heard any reviews from people that purchased the vintage tins, but from people who used to smoke it way back in the day. I would never even consider paying that much for a tin of tobacco. With the amount of quality producers out there now...McClelland, G.L. Pease, Samuel Gawith...it makes more sense to stock up today and pull this stuff out in 20 years.

Doc.

I actually haven't heard any reviews from people that purchased the vintage tins, but from people who used to smoke it way back in the day. I would never even consider paying that much for a tin of tobacco. With the amount of quality producers out there now...McClelland, G.L. Pease, Samuel Gawith...it makes more sense to stock up today and pull this stuff out in 20 years.
Have you ever heard anyone that "came of age" in the early '90s call Grunge utter crap? I've heard a few, but most of the people in that age group have a strong connection to that music because it was the popular music of the time. Pearl Jam was absolute GENIUS to me then. Listening now to some of their music really makes me think about how bad my hearing must have been. :)

My point is that people are nostalgic. Those things they enjoyed that are no longer vogue or available always seem so much better than what's out there now. Especially if those items were enjoyed during a pivotal time in their lives. We tend to look back fondly on the days of yore and we tend to forget how things really were.

I'm not saying it applies to everything. There truly are some things that are absolute classic. Three Nuns may be one of them, but then again it might just be a "pretty good" tobacco that conjures up a better time for some folks.

Have you ever heard anyone that "came of age" in the early '90s call Grunge utter crap? I've heard a few, but most of the people in that age group have a strong connection to that music because it was the popular music of the time. Pearl Jam was absolute GENIUS to me then. Listening now to some of their music really makes me think about how bad my hearing must have been. :)

My point is that people are nostalgic. Those things they enjoyed that are no longer vogue or available always seem so much better than what's out there now. Especially if those items were enjoyed during a pivotal time in their lives. We tend to look back fondly on the days of yore and we tend to forget how things really were.

I'm not saying it applies to everything. There truly are some things that are absolute classic. Three Nuns may be one of them, but then again it might just be a "pretty good" tobacco that conjures up a better time for some folks.

That's a great point, Alan. I like the comparison to "Grunge" rock from the 90's. That was a pivotal musical movement from my teenage days that is the driver behind a lot of my memories and more often than not, the thought of those songs is much much better than the actual song itself.

I guess the comparison can be made across the board though and applied to any number of consumable goods. Whether it be audible, edible or tangible, it becomes the fabric that dresses up our memories. It is amazing what our surroundings and emotions will do to an otherwise ordinary cup of coffee, glass of wine, slice of cheesecake or pair of shoes or article of clothing. I've had a shirts that I think are awful, but when one female makes a compliment that she likes it, then the shirt takes on a whole new role in my wardrobe and changes my emotion toward it. A once drab article of clothing now inspires confidence and reminds me of the compliment. I've had bottles of wine while out to dinner in lavish restaurants and yet when I buy that same bottle to drink at home, it just doesn't quite taste the same. Our memory changes our perception of everything around us.

So, that being said, what blend will you be telling your children about in 20 years that "just isn't the same as it used to be". :D

So, that being said, what blend will you be telling your children about in 20 years that "just isn't the same as it used to be". :D
[/quote]

Probably Westminster. :laugh:

That's assuming that tobacco will be around in 20 years.