• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To Age a Cigar?

TonyDogs

Banned
I am new to cigar pass.
So is it worth to age cigars?
If yes, do you dedicate a humidor to age the cigars?
What kind of cigars do you age? 80 rating and up?

I have only been smoking cigar over a year now. I take it seriously.

I am building my collection so that I have nothing under 80 rating in it. :D

I would like to know if I age a cigar is it going to taste better?

Thanks
TonyDogs ;)

Age changes the flavor profile of a cigar...Sometimes not for the better. Grab a handful of like cigars. Smoke one now. Take notes on it. Smoke another a few months down the road. Repeat until you find out the profile you like. You may not like the aged ones or you may love em. All a matter of opinion.

I will say that usually lack the discipline to let my cigars age, but I'm working on it. I recently participated in a newbie trade with LucasBuck, however, and it gave me the opportunity to compare aged to non-aged. In the trade he sent me an aged Ashton VSG, and I happened to have a recent Ashton VSG already sitting in the humidor. The cigars were remarkably different, with the aged cigar giving a smoother but still powerful experience, compared to the more over-the-top taste of the "fresh" VSG. It's always possible that the VSG blend of different years accounted for more of the difference than the age, but it was a data point in favor of aging.

Aging will sure mellow them out. I smoke a cigar every 6 months or so to compare the differences. The Cohiba Esplendido I smoked over the weekend mellowed considerably!

Ree

I just put 'em in the bottom of my coolerdor so I can't really get to 'em.

So far haven't got enough experience to know exactly what age does, but I do have a general idea, and am in the process of discovering for sure with several samples (Opus X and LFD Chisel Oscuros). Unfortunately the results won't be in for quite some time.

One thing I've seen here that I truly believe is that if you buy a cigar and feel that it needs age in order to be smokeable or enjoyable, then the cigar maker hasn't done his job. Cigars should be ready to smoke right out of the box. Two brands that I know for sure don't release cigars that aren't already appropriately aged are Fuente and Padron. Only a very particular person would prefer one of those brands aged over new. Perhaps one exception would be the Opus X, which, while fantastic right out of the box, can also take on sublime subtleties with even more age.

LC-Smoker said:
There has been alot of talk about that lately. You can read this or do a search for more answers.
[snapback]204930[/snapback]​

only my 12th or 13th day as a newbie member of CP and someone already linked to one of my topics!!! I'm honored :blush:

TonyDogs said:
[snapback]204921[/snapback]​

This is off the topic of aging but....... ratings from a magazine or anyplace else is no more than someones opinion. Don't let a magazine dictate what you smoke. Give everyone here the same unbanded cigar and tell them to rate it and you'll get everything from hated it to loved it.

Don't listen to Kenny(Allofus123), he has a bunch of bettles he's agin' with his primo smokes!! ROFLMAO!!! Not really funny, but someone has to break his balls! :p

Floyd T. :sign:

PS: On topic: Age has lessened the taste of a couple cigars I have. I enjoyed them better when they were younger. :(

SKYDIVNEKD said:
I enjoyed them better when they were younger. :(
[snapback]205034[/snapback]​

Thats true on so many levels....... ROFLMAO!

Allofus123 said:
TonyDogs said:

This is off the topic of aging but....... ratings from a magazine or anyplace else is no more than someones opinion. Don't let a magazine dictate what you smoke. Give everyone here the same unbanded cigar and tell them to rate it and you'll get everything from hated it to loved it.
[snapback]205028[/snapback]​

I totally disagree with you.
If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter. The cigars that I have had that have rating above 80 are very tasty. The cigars that are rated 90 and up are awesome! I have also found high rated cigar at a low price.

So thanks for the response but I will stick to the ratings system for me.
Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)

It's all subjective. All Kenny is saying is not to base whether you smoke a cigar on someone elses reviews/ratings. Judge for yourself.

I've gotten samplers from a couple of the grand chaps here and they've contained aged cigars that were outstanding!
And, as others have said, don't go exclusively with ratings. Decide for yourself what tastes good.
And start your own freekin' magazine!

TonyDogs said:
Allofus123 said:
TonyDogs said:

If you are a true conusor of cigars your rating system does matter. The cigars that I have had that have rating above 80 are very tasty. The cigars that are rated 90 and up are awesome! I have also found high rated cigar at a low price.

Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)
[snapback]205079[/snapback]​

Allofus is a true conusor(sic).

Stick around CPass long enough and (maybe) you will realize the errors of your ways. ;)

TonyDogs said:
Allofus123 said:
TonyDogs said:

Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)

So you're gonna let ratings infulenced by people who take ads out in magazines infulence you smoking. Hope you like a light wallet and potentally crappy cgars.

Just a little personal info for you. I have rated cigars for Smoke magazine. Granted...They sent me a bunch of cigars twice. It was blind reviews each time.

Well...I sent my reviews in. Some of the cigars I rated just happened to have ads in the magazine. I rated some of the cigars in the ads poorly. Guess what...My words were changed to reflect the sponsors cigars in a favorable light.

A word to the wise is sufficient. :thumbs:

edited for spelling

I say try all the Cigars that look good to you. Then keep getting the ones you like. Don't get the rest.

Lopaka

Lumberg said:
One thing I've seen here that I truly believe is that if you buy a cigar and feel that it needs age in order to be smokeable or enjoyable, then the cigar maker hasn't done his job. Cigars should be ready to smoke right out of the box. Two brands that I know for sure don't release cigars that aren't already appropriately aged are Fuente and Padron. Only a very particular person would prefer one of those brands aged over new. Perhaps one exception would be the Opus X, which, while fantastic right out of the box, can also take on sublime subtleties with even more age.
[snapback]204964[/snapback]​

I have to disagree with you on this one. First off, many Habanos truly need age before they are ready to smoke. Did the cigar maker not do his job? No, the cigar maker did just fine. Demand brings the cigar to the market before any aging takes place. Patience on the part of the consumer is required (or buying pre-aged cigars). I buy cigars just to age. I have absolutely no intention of smoking them for the first year that I own them. Wouldn't be surprised if many others did that as well.

Two, Fuentes and Padrons both benefit greatly from additional age. While they are ready to smoke "out of the box", they get much better down the road. The only Fuente that I have not noticed a measurable difference in is the sun grown series. Padrons get much better with age as well. The difference between a fresh executive (regular line) and one that has 7 years of age on it is dramatic. The examples go on and on, but you get the point.

TonyDogs said:
Allofus123 said:
TonyDogs said:

Thats my take
TonyDogs ;)

As for the rating system from CA (I assume that is the publication you are referring to), keep in mind it is someone elses palate. I, for example, rarely agree with their ratings. I think too many things impact the ratings. The particular cigar, what the taster is drinking, eating, his/her mood, and the size of the ad that the cigar company placed with the magazine. If you want to use it as a guideline for trying cigars, fine. It really isn't a bad way to go about it. Just don't let the magazine make up your mind for you.

If that's the case TDog, go get yourself a Cigar Aficionando magazine. They've got ratings 80 and up.

ree