• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tobacco Beetle Egg Question

gsblood

I've read a lot of stories about them. The life cycle of…, the damage caused…, the eradication of…, prevention of…, and so on. My question is how long will the eggs remain "fertile". Is there an amount of time where I could feel safe that my cigars will remain bug free? Is deep-freezing the only way to kill the eggs or will they expire over time, like chicken eggs?

Not specific to just the egg question, but this is a pretty good article on Cigar Aficianado on the beetle in general.

Beetle Linky

Its been my experience that if you are beetle free after 2 years of age you have nothing to worry about.......Anything less than that you could have an out break if the conditions are right....These results are based on 15 years of aging cigars.......Of course my high ends boxes from day one are kept at 65f 65h.......lower end boxes are stored at a different location in my house and at less than optimal conditions at times..... Sometimes in the summer temp and humidity reach 75 respectively......These are the boxes that have had the highest potential for infestation and for which my 2 year estimate applies to.....Would also like to hear other opinions on this...........

Its been my experience that if you are beetle free after 2 years of age you have nothing to worry about.......Anything less than that you could have an out break if the conditions are right....These results are based on 15 years of aging cigars.......Of course my high ends boxes from day one are kept at 65f 65h.......lower end boxes are stored at a different location in my house and at less than optimal conditions at times..... Sometimes in the summer temp and humidity reach 75 respectively......These are the boxes that have had the highest potential for infestation and for which my 2 year estimate applies to.....Would also like to hear other opinions on this...........

Thanks for the info Cigar Smoke. I keep my coolidor(only have one right now) in the basement with 65% beads. But it's the wooden humidors around the house I worry more about. New England summers can get Hot and Humid and I'll just forget to move them to the basement to keep them cool.