• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Coloniales

northernmoris

FFOX Whore
Trinidad
Coloniales

Origin: Cuba
Wrapper: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Filler: Cuba
Place of purchase: Gifted by Gary: Ironpeddler

2011-03-26_19-34-27_853.jpg

2011-03-26_19-35-38_267.jpg

2011-03-26_19-36-08_384.jpg

Smoking Results

SIZE: Length: 5 1/6" Ring: 43
APPEARANCE: Nice construction, pigtail cap.
CONSTRUCTION: Was very good, firm to the touch, no soft spots
Cut: Cut with my Xicar x3
DRAW: First third real tight, second on much better
BURN: all over the place, needed multiple touch ups
FLAVOR: strong tobacco, final third hints of sweet vanilla
STRENGTH: Medium
SMOKING TIME: roughly 1 hr
GENERAL IMPRESSION: Not very impressed, just didn't do it for me.

Lay out: All day I was craving a cigar.. After a long day of cleaning up my basement and garage I got around to picking out a cigar around 7:30pm.. I grabbed my Lotus ashtray, Xicar cutter, and my Blazer. Now time to pick out a cigar.. With all this Opus talk in the lounge I went straight to my Opus drawer, poked around a bit and for some reason decided to go to my single drawer in my cooler.. After passing up some Boli's I settled on the Trinidad. I have never smoked a Trinidad so I figured I would go with something new. When I got outside it was a little cold and windy.. I figured I would light a fire before I started and that was a good call..

1/3 The cigar was firm, had a prominent vein running down the back. I clipped off the cap only to find that the draw was too tight. I left it as is hoping that it open up as I smoked it.. Predraw taste was a strong tobacco taste.. I torched the foot and started off with a nice even burn, but that didn't last long. Even with the tight draw I got a decent amount of smoke.. The smoke was light with a flavor of strong tobacco. As time went by the burn got to be real uneven. I had to touch it up on multiple occasions.

2011-03-26_19-54-53_913.jpg

2/3 As I got into the second third the draw opened up nicely.. I was getting nice amounts of smoke at this time which was still light but rich in the tobacco flavor.. The ash held on for a inch each time, before the wind would knock it off.. The wind was so unpredictable on my patio I was forced to keep moving around my fire pit to keep the smoke out of my eyes.. It's time for a chiminea.. towards the middle of this third I started to pick up hints of a sweet flavor.. I couldn't really define it yet..

2011-03-26_20-00-53_21.jpg

3/3 Towards the end the sweet flavor picked up on the draw.. I would classify it as a sweet vanilla, with a hint of sugar.. There was a steady flavor of rich tobacco from start to finish.. I didn't find this smoke to be complex. If the draw had not opened up at all I would not have cared for this cigar at all. At this point I am on the fence with this, I have one more left which I will smoke this summer. The flavor profile just didn't fit my likes..

2011-03-26_20-25-22_806.jpg

This review took for ever to write out, I'm home with my almost 6 month old daughter, so between diaper changes and a feeding, I'm glad this is finally done..
2011-03-27_10-44-35_247.jpg

Mike

Nice review, Mike.

After smoking the thinner Trinis, I expected more out of these, too.

The box I had smoked better when they were younger. But I smoked them before I could find out about future changes. :p

The Short Robustos have impressed some.

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions. I just picked up a couple of these, so it was of particular interest to me.

Wow, that's too bad. I absolutely love the Coloniales. Of course, a hard draw on any cigar makes for a less than spectacular experience. Do you know how old this was? I had one last Thursday night from '05 and it was almost the opposite of what you described here. Of course, Trini has it's own flavor profile and it might just be that it suits me and not you.

Wow, that's too bad. I absolutely love the Coloniales. Of course, a hard draw on any cigar makes for a less than spectacular experience. Do you know how old this was? I had one last Thursday night from '05 and it was almost the opposite of what you described here. Of course, Trini has it's own flavor profile and it might just be that it suits me and not you.

The exact date, I'm not sure.. But it was gifted '08 or early '09...

Do you know how old this was?
April '08

They do taste a bit 'metallic'...but that has been since Day 1 with this smoke. So far they really haven't smoothed out at all, so I hear you on this one Mike. :thumbs:

This box was my first venture into a Trinidad cigar and these and others of different sizes I've smoked since seem to have this similar characteristic....it seems to their taste profile on my palette.