• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TSA regs on cutters and lighters

bilder

Need some clarification from you guys who travel.

Cigar cutters and punches are ok for carry on? Is this right?

Also, are soft flame lighters allowed again?

Cigar cutters are no longer listed on the TSA site. I know they used to be, but I cannot find mention of them any more.

Cigar cutters are no longer listed on the TSA site. I know they used to be, but I cannot find mention of them any more.

Search!

"NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors."

Damn, I can't carry on my throwing stars.

I thought you would be more devastated by the snow globe restrictions, Princess.

2005 list:

II.​
Permitted Items. For purposes of 49

U.S.C. 40101​
et seq. and 49 CFR 1540.111,

TSA does not consider the items on the​
following lists as weapons, explosives, and​
incendiaries because of medical necessity or​
because they appear to pose little risk if, as​
is required, they have passed through​
screening. Therefore, passengers may carry​
these items as accessible property or on their​
person through passenger screening​
checkpoints and into airport sterile areas and​
the cabins of passenger aircraft.​
A. Medical and Personal Items​
(1) Braille note taker, slate and stylus, and​
augmentation devices.​
(2) Cigar cutters.​
(3) Corkscrews.​
(4) Cuticle cutters.​
(5) Diabetes-related supplies/equipment​
(once inspected to ensure prohibited items​
are not concealed), including: Insulin and​
insulin loaded dispensing products; vials or​
box of individual vials; jet injectors; pens;​
infusers; and preloaded syringes; and an​
unlimited number of unused syringes, when​
accompanied by insulin; lancets; blood​
glucose meters; blood glucose meter test​
strips; insulin pumps; and insulin pump​
supplies. Insulin in any form or dispenser​
must be properly marked with a​
professionally printed label identifying the​
medication or manufacturer​
's name or

pharmaceutical label.​
(6) Eyeglass repair tools, including​
screwdrivers.​
(7) Eyelash curlers.​
(8) Knives, round-bladed butter or plastic.​
(9) Reserved.​
(10) Matches (maximum of four books,​
strike on cover, book type).​
(11) Nail clippers.​
(12) Nail files.​
(13) Nitroglycerine pills or spray for​
medical use, if properly marked with a​
professionally printed label identifying the​
medication or manufacturer​
's name or

pharmaceutical label.​
(14) Personal care or toiletries with​
aerosols, in limited quantities.​
(15) Prosthetic device tools and appliances​
(including drill, allen wrenches, pullsleeves)​
used to put on or remove prosthetic devices,​
if carried by the individual with the​
prosthetic device or his or her companion.​
(16) Safety razors (including disposable​
razors).​
(17) Scissors, plastic or metal with blunt​
tips.​
(18) Tweezers.​
(19) Umbrellas (once inspected to ensure​
prohibited items are not concealed).​
(20) Walking canes (once inspected to​
ensure prohibited items are not concealed).​
B. Toys, Hobby Items, and Other Items Posing​
Little Risk​
(1) Knitting and crochet needles.
(2) Toy transformer robots.
(3) Toy weapons (if not realistic replicas).
Well, at least he'll have something to keep him occupied!

The rules suck, but they are not as bad as they could be.

I am part Turkish so I get profiled everytime I fly. I dont look arab, I dont know how they can tell.

Last time I flew my wife took a back pack that I used for camping as her carry on. Well she forgot to take out a fire starter and a Leatherman.

So I was being searched and shes getting eyed for them. I thought I was going to get the glove. ???

(2) Toy transformer robots.

What?? I can't take optimus prime with me? Sucks!

Need some clarification from you guys who travel.

Cigar cutters and punches are ok for carry on? Is this right?

Also, are soft flame lighters allowed again?

I wouldn't take lighters at all. Its just not worth it. Even if its not prohibited TSA will steal it for sh*ts and giggles. I have had no issues with cutters in my checked luggage. I wouldn't try it with carry on luggage though.

I travel enough, and always have a cutter in my carry-on. For that matter, low metal lighters like the PB-209 without the lid chain seem to pass right through the magnetometer in the watch pocket of my jeans hypothetically of course.

I travel a fair bit and never have a problem with them in my carry on albiet I always carry a cheap lighter and punch just in case.

ads

I had a little incident with lighters before. I used to travel with a Xikar Executive since it's cheap. I usually pack it in a checked luggage. I had no problem with it for a while until it went missing. I assumed that it was confiscated by security since it wasn't allowed (I think).

I started travelling around with a Xikar EXII, thinking that it's a softer flame and was allowed. I usually have it on me and go thru security checkpoint with it. I had no problem going through security, for a while at least. One time in SFO, it caugh the eyes of a TSA agent and decided to check with his supervisor. She took a look at the flame and said that it wasn't allowed. I argued for a while and we even checked with a explosive expert who also agreed with her. I was offered to surrender it or try to send it back through a travel agent or post office. I attempted to do so, but no one would ship it. I decided to try my luck and go through another security area. No one even cared this time....

Til this day, I am still not 100% sure about the rules on lighters, but I no longer travel with a lighter!

I had a little incident with lighters before. I used to travel with a Xikar Executive since it's cheap. I usually pack it in a checked luggage. I had no problem with it for a while until it went missing. I assumed that it was confiscated by security since it wasn't allowed (I think).

I started travelling around with a Xikar EXII, thinking that it's a softer flame and was allowed. I usually have it on me and go thru security checkpoint with it. I had no problem going through security, for a while at least. One time in SFO, it caugh the eyes of a TSA agent and decided to check with his supervisor. She took a look at the flame and said that it wasn't allowed. I argued for a while and we even checked with a explosive expert who also agreed with her. I was offered to surrender it or try to send it back through a travel agent or post office. I attempted to do so, but no one would ship it. I decided to try my luck and go through another security area. No one even cared this time....

Til this day, I am still not 100% sure about the rules on lighters, but I no longer travel with a lighter!

I travel with that exact lighter. Technically it is a torch even though the flame looks soft. If you use one of the those colibri tranzpaks to store it and send it through checked bagged you should be ok. I have done this several times (LAX, SFO, SD, Vegas, interisland) with no problems.

Good Luck

I have been told that cutters are OK and non-torch lighters are as well. I was told this as they took my torch lighter and left my cutter. Both have been through about 200 airport screenings in the last couple of years and the lighter just got taken a couple of weeks ago. Sucks but I guess I got good use out of it while it lasted! :laugh:

-gp

Edited since I cant spell.

I've been traveling regularly through many major airports in the US with my Xikar X2 cutter, though I leave my Xikar Element lighter at home. A Bic for on the road has posed no problem/threat since they figured out it was MATCHES that Richard Reed used trying to light his sneakers on fire.

So no one has had any problems even with a Xikar cutter? I am getting ready to fly in a few weeks to see my newborn niece/nephew whichever the baby may be and I would like to be able to enjoy myself along the way as my layovers are a couple of hours each time I stop. Also since we are kind of on the topic anyone know if the one of the smoking lounges in Denver are any better than the other?

I fly a good bit and can say from experience that most of these things are really up to the TSA agents on duty. Technically, non torch lighters and cutters are OK. However, if you get stopped and they say it can't go through, there's really no point in arguing with them. I've had solid deodorant taken before, because it was "liquid" and more than 8 oz or whatever the rule is. Anyone knows that solid stick deodorant is allowed, but the TSA agent wouldn't let it through.

Checked baggage is different, but then you run the risk of things getting stolen.

I usually travel with a cheap bic and a punch. That way if it gets confiscated, I'm not out of a lot of money and both can be replaced pretty easily (plus TSA agents don't usually know that a punch has a cutting blade and they see bics all the time).