• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TV/Audio question

cookie_1978

I would like to buy the following, assuming it is made:

Blu-ray player with wifi and cable card. I would use the player for streaming video from Netflix, and I would use the cable card to eliminate the cable box I currently have. I have FIOS, and am currently using a cable card in another tv - the cable card works fine. The cable card is $ 3.99 per month vs. the HD box for $ 14.99 per month. I would get a ROKU box if they had the ability to have a cable card. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hmmm... interesting combo. Can't say that I've ever seen one, though. Good luck in the search.

ETA: Is a home theater PC (HTPC) an option?

CableCard allows you to decrypt the audio/video streams sent from the cable company. Every cable box has one installed in it. A separate cable card installed in a TiVo or directly into a TV would allow you to get the same content without a cable box.

Cable Card is a dying technology and has been for the last few years. Tru2Way is/was the replacement but even that has fizzled out for the most part since Panasonic no longer sells the only device that was marketed. You won't find the integration that you are looking for with any Blu-ray player on the market.

Did some searching and called a couple of the bigger shops and I think you are correct Ray - no such combination. Someone should make this setup. I just hate paying Verizon for all my boxes month after month. Maybe I should make a call to China...... :sign:

People used to get the little $500 Mac and run their TV as the monitor back when photostreaming and video sites were the 'new thing' . . . trend guru Hugh Macleod talked about it a lot on Gaping Void. With Roku and Netflix-ready, "Intel Inside" flatscreens I don't even know if anyone still does stuff like that.

But I have heard that if you have cable modem internet, all the cable TV content is in there somewhere. :whistling:

~Boar

Wouldn't a video game (like ps3) have all the needed features? Just a thought.

Ken

PS3 doesn't support cablecard, as far as I know.

I think an HTPC is the only option if you want everything in one box. But putting one together won't be cheap.

Im working on building my own HTPC right now. It's not cheap but will be nice in the long run. Putting several 2TB WD CB drives in it to burn all my dvd iso's too so i can stream all the movies in hd instantly to my tv. Can browse through all of them on the tv too using media center and a media center remote. I have something like 350 dvd's saved already, just need to finish building the pc. Also nice to be able to put all the dvd cases away in storage instead of having bookshelf's full of them.