• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Updated Pics of the Crop!

MrMaduro

Here are some updated pics. This first one is of a partial section of 2 rows. (approx 1/3) Each row has 45 plants.

0704081901.jpg

This plant is around 14 inches tall.

0704081902.jpg

I'll update with more pics in a couple weeks.

Lookin' good. Did you lose any to that great weather up there in the early summer? I think if I tried that out here, the sun would smoke 'em before they got as tall as yours. :rolleyes:
Any special fertilizers? (ok, do me a favor & stay away form the BS jokes). :0 :) Is it a high water crop?

Nothing personal, Greg, but I think the cigars from your crop will be moldy :p

Nothing personal, Greg, but I think the cigars from your crop will be moldy :p

no no, that's just plume :whistling:

Brian H. that is really cool. What are the future plans? I know it's a silly question but really?

Kyle,
I plan on rolling my own cigars, and of course roll some for me friends.

My Father rolls his own from his own tabacco. Amazingly he lives in the South East of England in a terraced house and a paved garden.

I'll try to grab some pics!

DeanoUK,
That sounds neat, I'd love to see some pics. How does he ferment his tobacco? How many different varieties does he raise? How long has he been doing this? Thanks in advance for the info.
Brian,

That's very nice #4 (I think this makes you #4 :laugh:)

I hope it's worth the time and effort. I guess time will tell huh, it always does.

Good luck though, that's an interesting project.

Brian

Here are some updated pics. This first one is of a partial section of 2 rows. (approx 1/3) Each row has 45 plants.

0704081901.jpg

This plant is around 14 inches tall.

0704081902.jpg

I'll update with more pics in a couple weeks.

SWEET :thumbs:

Will let you know as soon as he's back from Greece (lucky bast). Thanks for the interest!

DeanoUK,
That sounds neat, I'd love to see some pics. How does he ferment his tobacco? How many different varieties does he raise? How long has he been doing this? Thanks in advance for the info.
Brian,

I"m planning on fermenting some maduro. If I can find more info I'll try to ferment to achieve an Oscuro wrapper as well. I will try my hand at my own version of the Double Maduro, and a Triple Maduro.

Is this your first year doing this? How long until you see the fruits of your labor?

Brian, if you need a hand when you are taking that stuff in then let me know...we are almost neighbors down here. I have some experience with the process from my days at the University of Kentucky. We used to make a decent buck helping some of the tobacco farmers. I even knew some gentlemen from a particular fraternity that rolled their own cigars as part of their tradition.

ilcchef2,
This is the second year I've raised cigar tobacco. Last year we had an unusually cold spring so they got planted late, which meant they were harvested before they were ready. So it took longer to cure than usual. Actually the whole crop didn't finish curing until about 4 weeks ago. I will wait and ferment it with this years crop. Late winter early spring. I'm hoping we should have some cigars in the spring.
I've raised burley (cigarette) tobacco most of my life. I was raised on a farm We would have around 1400 acres of corn and or soybeans, and between 10-15 acres of tobacco.

Stu, I live in Winchester just east of Milford, out Route 32 about 35 miles. Have you been to the Party Source Herfs at The Beer Sellars.

I have six varieties
1. Connecticut Shade - Wrapper
2. Connecticut Broadleaf - wrapper
3. Havana #608 - filler/binder
4. Goose Creek Red - wrapper/binder
5. Small Stalk Black Mammoth - filler
6. Narrow Leaf Madole - filler

Good ol' Winchester! Sounds like you are a veteran around tobacco cultivation. I like the varieties that you have selected. I would certainly be willing to help out any time...I drive through Winchester all the time ( I go to Portsmouth, Aberdeen, Ironton and Huntington WV for work pretty often and I have friends in Ky across the river down that way ).

I haven't been able to get to one of the Party Source herfs in quite a while. The Beer Cellar is a great place for them but there is talk of NKy going to a smoking ban. Let me know if you can make it to one.