• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

V Cutter and Punches

EliWaynne

I saw a Lotus serrated V-cutter on CI the other day, think it was called Jaws something. Anyway, it looks really cool and I was in the market for a new cutter. I have been putting up with a cheapo V cutter given to me for free by CI on an order I place. It cut a V, but many times, ripped it instead. I dealt with it.

The Cutter was 32 dollars, but after adding 2.00 for a signature fee, tax, shipping, I was looking at about 45 dollars or so if I bought it just by itself. I had many cigars on order already, so I didn't need to buy anymore, or have room for anymore.

I went to my my local cigar shop that I use often, it's just down the road from me, lucky me, to see what sort of cutters they had. I asked the shop owner if he had the Lotus Jaws cutter, or any other serrated V cutters. He told me he didn't have any serrated V-cutters because he didn't like them and they didn't work very well at all. He had many customers that told him they didn't like the serrated V-cutter and that lead to him to discontinue carrying the products.

He did show me some other V-cutters that he considered superior and what he had to offer. They ranged from around 60-120 bucks on the shelf I perused. After looking at many of them, I settled on a basic Colibri V-cutter. When I went home and tried it out for the first time I was in awe. It was a night and day difference between the cheap one and my new one. I love the Colibri V-cutter. After using it, I don't think I could go back to anything cheaper.

I am curious though if anyone has a serrated V-cutter, the Lotus Jaws, or ever used one at all. What were your impressions of using it? Did it work well, do you enjoy using it? If you remember at all, how deep was the cut?

Sorry, this is a long post.

I tried to use a punch on a cigar to see how I liked it, but had a lot of trouble with the punch. Of course, it is a fairly cheap punch, but I'd like to try a punched cigar before investing any money in a better punch. I just can't seem to get my punch to work.

Are punches better used on certain cigars over others? Maybe that's my problem, I'm trying to use it on the wrong type of stick.

Last question.... Do you enjoy a punched cigar? Do you enjoy a punched stick over a V-cut or just a straight cut?

I do different cuts. The cigar usually tells me how it wants to be cut. Some have a nice flat end that is begging me to punch. Some have a perfect rounded end that look like a good place to V cut. Then torpedos and other crazy rolls need to be cut with a guillotine. Sometimes it’s just the mood I’m in or what I have on hand

I do different cuts. The cigar usually tells me how it wants to be cut. Some have a nice flat end that is begging me to punch. Some have a perfect rounded end that look like a good place to V cut. Then torpedos and other crazy rolls need to be cut with a guillotine. Sometimes it’s just the mood I’m in or what I have on hand
Wow, great response…….I’m glad I deleted my initial inebriated response!

I've never heard of a serrated v-cutter before (though have probably seen one). I typically circumcise round sticks with the Xikar or Palio (search it up -- it's a legit method and not as weird as it sounds), and use the Colibri V on torpedo and figurado.

I said what I said.

Just like the cigars we smoke, it comes down to personal preference. I remember when punches, and Vs, and some other crazy cuts came out. I tried them. I went back to complete open cuts. When I started visiting the Southern American countries and actually meeting the folks behind the cigars, I was very quickly taught they intended for their product to be open-cut (guillotine).

Only variance I saw besides g-cutters were really nice scissors. Same when I meet them at trade shows or events up here. I personally want as open and cool a cut as possible.. where the hole isn't smaller in some places and concentrating the smoke. Alters the flavor, builds tar at the opening, and makes it hotter and hotter as you go.

Again, it comes down to preference.. and I far and away prefer open cuts.

Just like the cigars we smoke, it comes down to personal preference. I remember when punches, and Vs, and some other crazy cuts came out. I tried them. I went back to complete open cuts. When I started visiting the Southern American countries and actually meeting the folks behind the cigars, I was very quickly taught they intended for their product to be open-cut (guillotine).

Only variance I saw besides g-cutters were really nice scissors. Same when I meet them at trade shows or events up here. I personally want as open and cool a cut as possible.. where the hole isn't smaller in some places and concentrating the smoke. Alters the flavor, builds tar at the opening, and makes it hotter and hotter as you go.

Again, it comes down to preference.. and I far and away prefer open cuts.
That's interesting. I didn't think about a punched cigar smoking hotter, and/or concentrating the smoke changing the flavor. That makes sense.

I'll have to try some straight cuts and V cuts on the same cigar and see if I notice a difference. At the moment I prefer a V cut. it seems to work better in my mouth and how I smoke it. It's still pretty open and deep, but just not quite as open as a guillotine cut.

At the moment I prefer a V cut.

Boom. That's all that matters then. 👍

Think I'll start a poll.. would be interesting to see the breakdown of what the forum is doing lately.

I personally want as open and cool a cut as possible.. where the hole isn't smaller in some places and concentrating the smoke. Alters the flavor, builds tar at the opening, and makes it hotter and hotter as you go.
I just thought of this and torpedo shaped cigars and other types of rolls that taper. Wouldn’t this be true of those too since there is basically a smaller hole and/or it tapers and it would concentrate the smoke and have buildup of tar? Just asking. I guess those shapes were meant to have that but then there’s a ton of blends that just come in different shapes with the same exact tobacco so I dunno

I just thought of this and torpedo shaped cigars and other types of rolls that taper. Wouldn’t this be true of those too since there is basically a smaller hole and/or it tapers and it would concentrate the smoke and have buildup of tar? Just asking. I guess those shapes were meant to have that but then there’s a ton of blends that just come in different shapes with the same exact tobacco so I dunno

When I do smoke a torp, I cut as much as I can without unraveling it. That said, there's only a few torps I care for. Torps are meant to "concentrate" the flavor of a particular blend.

That seems to have been lost on many torps today.. as it seems the vitola is there just for the sake of having it in the lineup. The slow, gentle, tapering is meant to try and add concentration while also trying to minimize buildup and a stiff draw.

I find the head pack in most torps not differentiating from the rest of the pack. It takes a skilled torcedor to do this correctly.. a mold doesn't control the bunching.

If you want an example of perfection.. pick up a CC Monte #2. One snip, and everything else is perfect. There's only a handful of pyramid cigars like that where I prefer them over their parejo siblings. Almost all are Cuban.. but NCs are getting better and better.

When I do smoke a torp, I cut as much as I can without unraveling it. That said, there's only a few torps I care for. Torps are meant to "concentrate" the flavor of a particular blend.

That seems to have been lost on many torps today.. as it seems the vitola is there just for the sake of having it in the lineup. The slow, gentle, tapering is meant to try and add concentration while also trying to minimize buildup and a stiff draw.

I find the head pack in most torps not differentiating from the rest of the pack. It takes a skilled torcedor to do this correctly.. a mold doesn't control the bunching.

If you want an example of perfection.. pick up a CC Monte #2. One snip, and everything else is perfect. There's only a handful of pyramid cigars like that where I prefer them over their parejo siblings. Almost all are Cuban.. but NCs are getting better and better.
Oh yeah I love the Monte #2. 2nd fav CC and in my top 10 overall for sure. I like a good torpedo but yeah I think you are right that a lot of them fall short

I saw a Lotus serrated V-cutter on CI the other day, think it was called Jaws something. Anyway, it looks really cool and I was in the market for a new cutter. I have been putting up with a cheapo V cutter given to me for free by CI on an order I place. It cut a V, but many times, ripped it instead. I dealt with it.

The Cutter was 32 dollars, but after adding 2.00 for a signature fee, tax, shipping, I was looking at about 45 dollars or so if I bought it just by itself. I had many cigars on order already, so I didn't need to buy anymore, or have room for anymore.

I went to my my local cigar shop that I use often, it's just down the road from me, lucky me, to see what sort of cutters they had. I asked the shop owner if he had the Lotus Jaws cutter, or any other serrated V cutters. He told me he didn't have any serrated V-cutters because he didn't like them and they didn't work very well at all. He had many customers that told him they didn't like the serrated V-cutter and that lead to him to discontinue carrying the products.

He did show me some other V-cutters that he considered superior and what he had to offer. They ranged from around 60-120 bucks on the shelf I perused. After looking at many of them, I settled on a basic Colibri V-cutter. When I went home and tried it out for the first time I was in awe. It was a night and day difference between the cheap one and my new one. I love the Colibri V-cutter. After using it, I don't think I could go back to anything cheaper.

I am curious though if anyone has a serrated V-cutter, the Lotus Jaws, or ever used one at all. What were your impressions of using it? Did it work well, do you enjoy using it? If you remember at all, how deep was the cut?

Sorry, this is a long post.

I tried to use a punch on a cigar to see how I liked it, but had a lot of trouble with the punch. Of course, it is a fairly cheap punch, but I'd like to try a punched cigar before investing any money in a better punch. I just can't seem to get my punch to work.

Are punches better used on certain cigars over others? Maybe that's my problem, I'm trying to use it on the wrong type of stick.

Last question.... Do you enjoy a punched cigar? Do you enjoy a punched stick over a V-cut or just a straight cut?
Seen this today...

I've been using the Lotus Jaws guilotine cutter for a few years now. I've got one in the car, one for outside, one for the basement, and about 4 spares. The dang thing is an excellent cutter! Better than some of the other current ones I've used. I have not used the V-cutter though; I don't like V-cuts or punches.

Seen this today...

Sweet! Thank you so much for posting that link. I've been holding off on getting it, but that is a good price, and free shipping.
I went ahead and ordered it, so I'll see how I like it when it shows up.

I've been using the Lotus Jaws guilotine cutter for a few years now. I've got one in the car, one for outside, one for the basement, and about 4 spares. The dang thing is an excellent cutter! Better than some of the other current ones I've used. I have not used the V-cutter though; I don't like V-cuts or punches.
I don't know why the guy that owns the tobacco shop down the street from me doesn't like the Lotus Jaws V Cutter. He carries the Lotus Jaws guillotine cutter, but discontinued the V cutter. He said he didn't like it. So I guess he thinks the guillotine cutters are fine.
I'll find out in a week if the V Cutter is any good. Reviews seem pretty good for the V cutter, so I don't know. Conflicting reports....

I don't know why the guy that owns the tobacco shop down the street from me doesn't like the Lotus Jaws V Cutter. He carries the Lotus Jaws guillotine cutter, but discontinued the V cutter. He said he didn't like it. So I guess he thinks the guillotine cutters are fine.
I'll find out in a week if the V Cutter is any good. Reviews seem pretty good for the V cutter, so I don't know. Conflicting reports....

I wouldn't read too much into it. If he says he doesn't like it, I would imagine it's because it doesn't sell well or have the profit margin he would like. It wouldn't make sense to stop carrying it if it sold well, regardless of his personal preference.

I don't care for Acids or Gurkhas. But if I owned a B&M I'd still carry them because many people do. Especially Acids. All that matters is whether or not you like the cut it provides.

One last thing, I'm often astounded at how little many B&M owners know about their own products or just cigars in general. Don't always take what they tell you as gospel. And remember, at the end of the day, their job is to make a profit from you. Most are terrific, but plenty aren't.

I've got Xikar and Palio guillotine cutters, Colibri and Xikar V-cutters, a Xikar punch, and a Victorinox with a punch on it. If I had to pick one and only one, it'd be one of the guillotine cutters, probably the Palio. The Colibri V-cutter is a dandy, but it takes a real hunk out of the end of the cigar. The punch is cool if you've got a cigar you know won't have any draw issues. Truth is I use 'em all, when the mood strikes.

Moral of the story is it's all about the cigar and personal preference, much like what RH to keep your storage environment.

I've got Xikar and Palio guillotine cutters, Colibri and Xikar V-cutters, a Xikar punch, and a Victorinox with a punch on it. If I had to pick one and only one, it'd be one of the guillotine cutters, probably the Palio. The Colibri V-cutter is a dandy, but it takes a real hunk out of the end of the cigar. The punch is cool if you've got a cigar you know won't have any draw issues. Truth is I use 'em all, when the mood strikes.

Moral of the story is it's all about the cigar and personal preference, much like what RH to keep your storage environment.
The Colibri does take a good V chunk out. I really like my Colibri V cut though.my last V cut didn't take enough out and ripped through instead of cutting through.

I honestly haven't given the guillotine much of a chance. I liked theV cut a lot so I haven't tried it much. Sometimes I use it to clip the tip off a torpedo and then V cut it.
I'll have to try a couple straight cut and see how I like it.