• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vehicle with 3rd row seat

jshupp

So my wife wants a vehicle with a 3rd row seat. We have twins that are 3 months old. With the car seats, stroller and everything else, we have room for one extra (small) person in her car (Volkswagen tiguan), with very little room left in the trunk. I would just like recommendations based on what you guys have experienced with. Most likely looking at something used, though new is not out of the question

We have 2 vehicles with 3rd row seating.

My wife has a Ford Flex that she really likes, I don't drive it except to pull it out of the garage from time to time so I have no experience with it. I do know she has no problem hauling our twins and the other 3-4 kids in our car pool to school in the morning with it.

I have a Subaru Ascent. I really like it (much more than the Outback that it replaced). We just returned from a trip to Disneyland and had 6 people in the car with smaller bags (carry on size), and had no problems with room.

Both have a lot of room with the 3rd row down. Would have plenty of room for the stroller and groceries and stuff. The thing we really like about the Subaru is that we can take it pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about weather or road conditions with it being all wheel drive.

We have 2 vehicles with 3rd row seating.

My wife has a Ford Flex that she really likes, I don't drive it except to pull it out of the garage from time to time so I have no experience with it. I do know she has no problem hauling our twins and the other 3-4 kids in our car pool to school in the morning with it.

I have a Subaru Ascent. I really like it (much more than the Outback that it replaced). We just returned from a trip to Disneyland and had 6 people in the car with smaller bags (carry on size), and had no problems with room.

Both have a lot of room with the 3rd row down. Would have plenty of room for the stroller and groceries and stuff. The thing we really like about the Subaru is that we can take it pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about weather or road conditions with it being all wheel drive.
Thank you. Will look into both, but the Subaru sounds great, and it never entered my mind

When we had kids, we bought a Honda Odyssey and loved it, the guys here gave me shit for it, but man it was comfortable. When the kids were a little older, we needed something else, with towing capacity and had 3 Honda Pilots. Great vehicles and lasted through all the shit we put them through.

When all of our kids hit the teenage years, we still needed a third row vehicle, but wanted captain seats. We drove the Subaru Ascent (I have an older outback) and it drove/handled great. The safety/warranty alone makes it worth it, but the third row is a little small. We drove Kia Telluride and loved it, actually ordered one and was told 6 months, so we started the refinancing of our house. Well the damn Telluride came in 2 months and we weren’t able to finance it because of our house refinancing, so we moved on. Drove the Hyundai Palisades and they are nice, just not as nice as the Telluride.

Finally decided on the new Grand Cherokee L, which we love. Enough room for the 6 of us, 6000 towing capacity, 290 HP and love the 4WD of Jeeps. I’ve had Wranglers for years and am pretty loyal, even with all the changes over the years. The only thing I don’t like about most 3rd row SUVs, is the trunk space. It’s just not there, unless you jump up to a bus sized Yukon XL or Suburban, but I’m just not willing to spend that amount of cash, on a vehicle.

Good luck, it’s a PIA car shopping now and most dealers are low on inventory. Let us know what you decide.

When we had kids, we bought a Honda Odyssey and loved it, the guys here gave me shit for it, but man it was comfortable. When the kids were a little older, we needed something else, with towing capacity and had 3 Honda Pilots. Great vehicles and lasted through all the shit we put them through.

When all of our kids hit the teenage years, we still needed a third row vehicle, but wanted captain seats. We drove the Subaru Ascent (I have an older outback) and it drove/handled great. The safety/warranty alone makes it worth it, but the third row is a little small. We drove Kia Telluride and loved it, actually ordered one and was told 6 months, so we started the refinancing of our house. Well the damn Telluride came in 2 months and we weren’t able to finance it because of our house refinancing, so we moved on. Drove the Hyundai Palisades and they are nice, just not as nice as the Telluride.

Finally decided on the new Grand Cherokee L, which we love. Enough room for the 6 of us, 6000 towing capacity, 290 HP and love the 4WD of Jeeps. I’ve had Wranglers for years and am pretty loyal, even with all the changes over the years. The only thing I don’t like about most 3rd row SUVs, is the trunk space. It’s just not there, unless you jump up to a bus sized Yukon XL or Suburban, but I’m just not willing to spend that amount of cash, on a vehicle.

Good luck, it’s a PIA car shopping now and most dealers are low on inventory. Let us know what you decide.
We're just looking now, getting options. I would not try to buy a car now unless we absolutely had to. I'm hoping (but doubtful) that the car market will be in better shape this spring. Thanks for you input, will add the kia to the list of options

With used car prices the way they are, you might be better off to buy new. I would suggest the new Tahoe with bucket 2nd row seats, makes getting to third row so much easier...

Agreed on the captain seats. Also, with car seats, captain seats still allow passengers to get by the car seats if needed.

I’f suggest you find something you and your wife really like, get your financing squared away, then order it when you’re ready. Much easier then trying to find the exact one you want/need.

My wife has a 2020 Chevrolet Traverse High Country model. She has had various GM SUV’s for over 30 years now all with third row seats & 4 wheel Drive & has liked them all. However she says this is the best one she has owned.

Just looked at the new Nissan Pathfinder. Like the new body restyle and the new transmission.

I second the Ford flex, wife vehicle but as a family we have taken it on several long trips. It handles as expected and the third row folds completely flat for a ton of space. When the seats are not folded they leave a large void for baggage.

Previous to that owned a Chrysler minivan, the flex is more comfortable but to be honest the minivans are the most family friendly vehicles on the road. Definitely check out the Honda Odyssey. We almost bought one but decided to go with the flex since our boys are almost out of car seats.

What the others said about captains chairs for second row is absolutely true when it comes to car seats.

Last edited:
We bought a Toyota Sienna mini van when our youngest was still in diapers and had it for about 11 or 12 years. I didn't care for driving it but the wife loved it. She was able to ferry our kids and some friend from one place to another with plenty of room to spare. It was ugly but we never had trouble with it mechanically. Probably the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

We have a 2016 Ford Explorer. Love the 3rd row and it feels spacious. Jeep has a 3rd row Cherokee but I hate that front end.

My wife has a 2020 Chevrolet Traverse High Country model. She has had various GM SUV’s for over 30 years now all with third row seats & 4 wheel Drive & has liked them all. However she says this is the best one she has owned.
I was going to suggest a Traverse as well. I love mine.