• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vibe --Toro Grande

Saxjazzman

This thread will review:

Name: Vibe Corojo, Toro Grande
Size: 6.00 x 58
Wrapper: Honduran Corojo
Binder: ??
Filler: NIC and HON Long Leaf
MSRP: Box of 20 for $114.00
Price Paid: $46.00 at Auction
Stated Strength: Medium to Full
Comments: This cigar is rolled in Nestor Plasencia's factory in Honduras. There is some indication that Rocky Patel may be associated with this cigar. This cigar was purchased in August 2007.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

To keep it standard, we would rate the cigars in three categories.

A) Appearance--How the cigar looks, how the pre-light smell is, the wrapper, etc.

B) Taste---How is the taste? Spicy, strong, bland, airball, etc. How did the taste progress, etc.

C) Construction---How did the cigar perform in terms of draw, burn, ash, etc.

To rate the cigars we would use a number from 5 to 10, 5 being one you would not even give Fidel to smoke and ten being a damm good cigar. The final rating number would be determined by the following:
A + B + (1.5)C divided by 3.5. This is similar to how Cigar Magazine does it but it is a little different. I realize that this is not perfect and there may be better ways but this would work also. Thanks for the reviews!!

Hey... I've got one or two of these lying around. You care if I fire it up one night and add my own review? I got suckered into these with the Rocky Patel namedropping, but I can't find where he's associated with them at all.

Hey... I've got one or two of these lying around. You care if I fire it up one night and add my own review? I got suckered into these with the Rocky Patel namedropping, but I can't find where he's associated with them at all.

It would be great to have your review. The more we have the more perspective others can get on this cigar. It would be an honor to have yours. Thanks. :thumbs:

Okay folks, time for a bundle review. Thanks to Saxjazzman I have the opportunity to give a few of these bundled/low cost cigars the chance to shine. Today’s smoke is a cigar clalled Vibe, which I have heard from others is a Rocky Patel creation. *** After doing some research, this cigar is indeed a Rocky Patel creation, released in 2005 along with the Old World Reserve.

IMG_2270.jpg

Appearance – You know this is a pretty good looking cigar. :blush: One can’t help but feel a bit of intimidation from its size. This thing is big!!! The filler looks very good with a nice blend of dark and lighter colored tobaccos. The wrapper is dark and a bit spotty and the cap was far from flawless. None the less, the clip with my Xikar was clean and the pre-light draw was near perfect. Pre-light draw was very pleasant with sweet notes of tobacco and nutty flavors. No spice what so ever tells me that this is going to be a pretty smooth, mild cigar. This cigar smells good as well. Very nice with no “what the hell is that” odor or anything out of the ordinary.
Score – 8.7

Taste – Right from the get go this thing is screaming Rocky Patel. The accompanying drink is my typical morning coffee, Ruta Maya, a Mexican blend. The light was very reminiscent of the Vintage series with that earthy/nutty flavor. I mean I am already surprised at how this cigar tastes (meaning its good). It’s giving me lots of leathery, earthy and nutty notes. There is almost no doubt in my mind that Rocky Patel has his hand in on the production of this cigar. The aroma is very pleasant and, okay, it smells like a damn Rocky Patel. Are you getting my drift here? I’m gonna go ahead and smoke on it for a while, and I’ll check back in here in a bit…

IMG_2277.jpg

Alright, so I’m about half way done with this cigar now and what else is there to say but, if you like Rocky Patel, especially the Vintage lines, then I think you are going to like this cigar. It’s a mild cigar in my opinion and it is delivering loads of nutty, leathery and sweet smoke. I’m not getting any “spiciness” from it at all, which is kind of nice considering everything these days has to be “spicy”. It’s going wonderfully with my coffee, staying a bit sweet on the palate after each draw. I’m really diggin’ it! I’ll check back in towards the end and give my final review and score of the flavor profile.

I’m now entering into the final third of this LARGE cigar and as with most RP’s that I smoke, especially the Vintage lines, the flavor is just too damn consistent. I guess its something about that same flavor profile pounding away at the palate that starts to turn me off from it. The cigar is getting a bit hot now and I’m left with a not so pleasant after taste from each draw. Still hints of nutty, leathery and earthy cigar on the palate though. Really this cigar has its shining moment, and it was pretty damn good when it did! :whistling:

I find that when a cigar is starting to turn “bitter” or unflavorful on me at the end of its life that a little help from the torch does it some good. With this cigar, a touch from the torch to the wrapper really helps to revive that well balanced Rocky flavor that I like so much. I’ll stick in there with it to the end…

IMG_2280.jpg

Well, that’s about it for me. This cigar was pretty damn consistent. I am definitely looking forward to experiencing the “VIBE” again.
Score – 8.7

Construction – Okay, so let me just tell you that this cigar is giving me loads of smoke right from the beginning. I like that in a cigar. I also am kind of digging the ring gauge of this thing. Definitely larger that I am used to, but it feels good in my mouth and makes the draw nice and smooth. I’m about an inch into it and the ash is beautifully white and a bit flaky and burning very well. So needless to say, the construction on this cigar, so far, is pretty damn good.

Well that first ash held up very nice. It was damn near over two inches long before it finally let loose of the cigar into my ash tray. I had to give the wrapper a little touch with the torch to even things up a bit, but nothing out of the ordinary. I’m kind of a torch whore! I’m still getting a lot of smoke from this cigar, which is nice. All in all up to this point, the construction on this cigar is top notch in my book. Hmmm… interestingly the second ash fell of with ease after only a quarter of an inch or so…

As the cigar progressed, so did its construction. :angry: The flaky ash got flakier. The draw stayed pretty damn good throughout the life of the smoke. The burn began to appear more and more uneven, which is something that I usually don’t make too many bones about. But as the pictures show… this cigar performed pretty damn good.
Score – 8.8

IMG_2282.jpg

Final Score - 8.74 :thumbs:

Thank you Saxjazzman for the opportunity to feel the VIBE. I really enjoyed it. I'll be reviewing another from the wonderful selection next Sunday... :whistling: :thumbs:

mac

Great review bro! I think this will be the next one I review!!!

:thumbs:

Hey MR.Mac, your finger tips look a little "chapped". What happened bud? BTW, great review!

your goomba from Brooklyn

Hey MR.Mac, your finger tips look a little "chapped". What happened bud? BTW, great review!

your goomba from Brooklyn

WTF! You join a year ago... and this is your first post. Oh my... :whistling:

By the way... why don't you go over to the "introduce yourself" thread and introduce yourself to the community... goomba.

Oh... and just like you told me before giving me my very first cigar.... its worse than crack.

Good to see ya here Brooklyn!

mac

That was a great review and the accompaning pictures give a good presentation of what the cigar looks like. Thanks for both. Without prejudicing any outstanding reviews yet to come on this cigar, I have to say that I think it is a real sleeper for the price. Thanks again for a hell of review!! :thumbs:

I have had a couple of these. They are pretty good cigars. The term "nutty" really comes to mind. Very nutty with a little bit of spice. I haven't had one in a while, but I might have to light up another for good ol' times sake.

Eddie

A) This is an attractive cigar with an oily chocolate brown wrapper. Veins were minimal in mine. There were some seams in the wrapper that were quite visible though.

B) Pre-light, this cigar seems like it may be an absolutely amazing smoke for those on a budget. The nose on this cigar is a tough act to follow for any cigar. It smells like good tobacco with some sweetness and spice, but in a rather loud way. I was looking forward to lighting this one up from the time I received the cigars in the mail.

When I lit them up I was greeted with an earthy profile that had a little leather and spice thrown in. The first cigar didn't have anything else going for it, but the next two had a good dose of leather and some hints of chocolate as well. This profile continued over the first inch with the extra leather and chocolate fading rather quickly.

After that, the cigar tends to go to it's core mild to medium body tobacco flavor with hints of spice that linger on the back of the tongue. My real problem with it is that this flavor is what the rest of the stick has to offer. For a large cigar, I prefer for the flavor to keep changing and making things interesting so that I don't get bored. I ended up getting bored with this cigar rather quickly. About two and a half inches in, I really start to tire of the flavor since it isn't doing anything. The first of these that I had became devoid of almost all flavor around 3" in, but this didn't happen with the next two.

C) The construction of all of these was really solid. The second one's seams were a small issue, as the smoke was coming out of them when I drew on it, but I got plenty of smoke from it even with that happening. I had to do some touchups, but that is normal for most cigars IMO, and I don't care about that as long as it tastes good.

A + B + 1.5C =

7 + 7 + 1.5(7) = 7

I definately see these as being a RP derived cigar. The flavor profile is similar in many respects. There are few faults to be found with this cigar considering it's price point. To those looking for a solid, affordable cigar in the Patel style, this is a great choice as long as you don't mind a cigar that doesn't have much personality or a flavor profile that doesn't keep you guessing. In this price range, I doubt there are many sticks that have much of those qualities to offer, so I would definately consider these cigars if their price point is the budget you are looking to stay in.

D

Great review bro... :thumbs:
I still need to find some time to do my review on this one!!!

Thanks for the review. If I was not so lazy, I should have sent you some REOs to compare to the Vibes. For my preference, I think the REOs more of a complex flavor profile. Again, both are reputed to be by Rocky. Great reviews!! Keep them coming.

I smoked one of the Vibes awhile back, but was too lazy at the time (just wanted to sit back, relax, and enjoy doing nothing) to write a review, but it was a very good cigar at this price. I hope to do a bunch of these reviews here shortly..so I'll be sure to actually write a review this time :) Thanks SJM...and again, I'm so sorry about being a hugeeee slacker :(!

I smoked one of the Vibes awhile back, but was too lazy at the time (just wanted to sit back, relax, and enjoy doing nothing) to write a review, but it was a very good cigar at this price. I hope to do a bunch of these reviews here shortly..so I'll be sure to actually write a review this time :) Thanks SJM...and again, I'm so sorry about being a hugeeee slacker :(!

Dont' worry about it. Life happens! :cool: