• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Vinotemp / cigar question

MaxNoodle

I am that which is.
Ok so to all of you who may know what the problem may be. I keep my vinotemp at pretty much a 65% - 67% but I keep it cool inside (which I believe may be the problem / solution)...anyway, my sticks are smoking as if they are dry, the wrapper is splitting, not to where it is unsmokable, but just annoying. I'm thinking if I increase the temp this may help...? No? I'm at a loss...

I have 2 lbs of beads 1 lb of 65% and 1 lb of 70%...a radiator humidifer with 70% pg and a 70% gel cannister. Keeps the RH right where I want it as stated above.

Now - I have to mention that this happened to me last night on a cigar that has been in a dry box for a couple days as well, which it may have been just out too long.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Ok so to all of you who may know what the problem may be. I keep my vinotemp at pretty much a 65% - 67% but I keep it cool inside (which I believe may be the problem / solution)...anyway, my sticks are smoking as if they are dry, the wrapper is splitting, not to where it is unsmokable, but just annoying. I'm thinking if I increase the temp this may help...? No? I'm at a loss...

I have 2 lbs of beads 1 lb of 65% and 1 lb of 70%...a radiator humidifer with 70% pg and a 70% gel cannister. Keeps the RH right where I want it as stated above.

Now - I have to mention that this happened to me last night on a cigar that has been in a dry box for a couple days as well, which it may have been just out too long.

Wow, do you have more humidity elements than cigars in that vinotemp? I think the beads would of done its job. IMO.

To help you, how cold are you thinking? plus I do not think the cold really is going to make much of a difference only if you increase it its more prone to beetles.

David

edit because (CP went all funky): to say I am not sure you really have the RH% right where you want it or else you would not have much problem with dryness. Also why Did you need to have a dry box for a couple days? just asking questions to try to tackle this problem.

David

I put the radiator and gel in there due to the cold drying out the beads quickly...no need for the size 6 text screaming at me.

Wow, do you have more humidity elements than cigars in that vinotemp? I think the beads would of done its job. IMO.

To help you, how cold are you thinking? plus I do not think the cold really is going to make much of a difference only if you increase it its more prone to beetles.

David

Max, a search on 'splitting', 'cracking', etc. may help you answer this question.

Note, a lot of northerners find it difficult to smoke outside when it's cold....mainly due it it being dry - and - the wrappers splitting.

You say the RH is ok...but I may not be. Check the calibration and add a new hygrometer.(or test the old ones).

I put the radiator and gel in there due to the cold drying out the beads quickly...no need for the size 6 text screaming at me.

David

CP was down and not letting me do what I wanted, so my bad if you felt I was Screaming at you.

CP was down and not letting me do what I wanted, so my bad if you felt I was Screaming at you.

Since they were not your comments, I thought you were just highlighting (emphasizing) his points for reference. Not yelling.

Hey there,

As was said, smoking outside when it's cold will split them but also, if you keep the temp in your vinotemp low that will split them as well if you smoke then straight away. I had my humidor down in the cold cellar until I put it in a zip lock back and then got a cooler as the cold cellar at first was the only place the humidor would keep humidity (it's a crappy one). The temp down there was about 55 f and when I smoked them right away they split. I learned that I needed to let them sit at room temp for 10 minutes or so and then they were fine.

Mike

Yeah - I was smoking inside...so the cold weather was not an issue. I'm thinking it was one of 2 things. My vinotemp is at 54 degrees, mihgt be too cold, and it was dry boxed too long.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your suggestions...

~ t

And to me - size 6 BOLD lettering is not pointing something out. But thats just something I would not do. Highlight in a different color and underline would suffice. Again - thats me.

Yeah - I was smoking inside...so the cold weather was not an issue. I'm thinking it was one of 2 things. My vinotemp is at 54 degrees, mihgt be too cold, and it was dry boxed too long.

~ t

And to me - size 6 BOLD lettering is not pointing something out. But thats just something I would not do. Highlight in a different color and underline would suffice. Again - thats me.

Correct that is you, but you been on here long enough to know that many people blow up and bold the statements in quotes. As I stated before, when I was writing your respond, the site went all haywire and I could not preview my post or do anything because it was just stuck. I told you my bad, and that I did not mean to do that. So there is not need to shove this in a negative way. If you think I was screaming then so be it, I could careless, but I told you the truth and said "my bad" but it dont seem like you accepted it, that way.

David

~ t

Ahhh, but you miss the point, the cigar is too cold.

But now you say it's dryboxed? Which is it?

To give you the most correct response, please provide the most accurate information.

What is the proccess for you taking a cigar out of your 'cool' vinotemp, to the point of smoking it?

No need to get defensive David...I asked help with for simple issue I was having.

~ t

Correct that is you, but you been on here long enough to know that many people blow up and bold the statements in quotes. As I stated before, when I was writing your respond, the site went all haywire and I could not preview my post or do anything because it was just stuck. I told you my bad, and that I did not mean to do that. So there is not need to shove this in a negative way. If you think I was screaming then so be it, I could careless, but I told you the truth and said "my bad" but it dont seem like you accepted it, that way.

David

David

edit because (CP went all funky): to say I am not sure you really have the RH% right where you want it or else you would not have much problem with dryness. Also why Did you need to have a dry box for a couple days? just asking questions to try to tackle this problem.

David

To my last defense on this issue, I did try to help you.

One pound of 65% beads. Temp. set at 66 degrees. I haven't had to add any water to my beads in 8 months. Below 60 degrees is too low IMO.

HAHA - nice big letters...

Ok - I store them in my vinotemp at 65-67% Rh @ 54 degrees. I took it out and dry boxed it for a couple of days before smoking it at which time it split. Good?

Thanks.

~ t

~ t

Ahhh, but you miss the point, the cigar is too cold.

But now you say it's dryboxed? Which is it?

To give you the most correct response, please provide the most accurate information.

What is the proccess for you taking a cigar out of your 'cool' vinotemp, to the point of smoking it?

There is your problem, 54 degrees then you take them out into your house temp and bang split wrappers. Why do you need to keep your cigars below 60 degrees?

HAHA - nice big letters...

Ok - I store them in my vinotemp at 65-67% Rh @ 54 degrees. I took it out and dry boxed it for a couple of days before smoking it at which time it split. Good?

Thanks.

~ t

I don't think that's long enough to come back.

At that cold temp(they are dry) and then to drybox them...even more dry.

Something's not right here...bump the temp up to say 64 degrees for a week or more...then just smoke one.
(Or dry box for 12-24 hours only.)

Max, I feel like you are throwing out attitude for no reason here, we're just trying to help, sir!

To help answer:

Dry boxing for a few days could be the culprit, depending on humidity in your house/box. I know that in the winter, my house fluctuates terribly (also depends if I have the dryer on in the basement). During the winter, my wrappers split regardless of if I smoke indoors or outdoors, it's just to damn dry...

I've never heard of a vino at 54 degrees. If you are dry boxing, I am curious as to why you have it so low? I feel like anything below 62ish could just be a negative factor, but I can't speak on that 100%.

I think the wrappers splitting would certainly point to a humidity issue, which could be caused by a number of factors, like drying to long, or temperature changes.

I concur 54° is too cold. I set mine at 65° with one pound of 65% beads and it holds nice. I do have Mtmouse shelves in it to help too.

Max, I feel like you are throwing out attitude for no reason here, we're just trying to help, sir!

Agree with that.. everyone is just trying to help and you're getting pretty defensive. Anyway, my Vinotemp is set at 64 degrees. I will get the occaisonal cracked wrapper, but only every once in a long while. So few and far between that I'm pretty sure it's due to factors outside of my temp setting. I also run 1.5 lbs. of 65% beads. So I think the short answer is to raise your temp about 10 degrees on the Vinotemp and try that.