• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Wanna try some Bhut Jolokias

nfulton

If anyone would like to try growing the Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) plant I have some seeds left over from last year's batch that I will plant this year. The parent seeds came straight from the chili pepper institute so they are certified to be from the actual Bhut Jolokia strain. They are fussy seeds and seedlings, but once you get them going they go batshit. Anvil, yours are already on their way for next year's planting...I hope they clear customs.

Just PM me and I'll get them mailed your way. I have a small packet full so I'll send as many as I can until I run out. I forgot to collect until the last picking so I don't have as many as I normally would.

OMFG.

Ive seen em on the net and almost purchased some chillies this year but they were way too expensive to buy. Im praying right now to the god of Customs and excise. They are supposed to be the hottest you can get. YUMMY.

Yeah, I wondered about excise tax. I put the value of them as $1. Hopefully, they'll slip on through. Anything I should know about avoiding all of that next time I need to get something headed to NZ?

Yeah, that's what I mean about being incredibly careful with these peppers. Imagine rubbing your eye with some of that on your hand. However, if you use them appropriately, they impart a sweet and earthy flavor like no other pepper I've ever had. Last hot salsa I canned used 1 pepper for 20 quarts and it was perfect, like a great Thai or Indian meal. It'll just put the sweat to your forehead, but not leave you in pain. They will beat you down if you are stupid (like the guy above). Don't use these to play Man vs. Food, do use them to make some great sauce, salsa, and chili. :thumbs:

.....It'll just put the sweat to your forehead, but not leave you in pain....
That's the level I like for curry, basically any spicy food. Lots of flavor and enough heat to say "...we're not kidding here..." but not enough to cause pain....:p

Id love to grow these peppers, I'm fascinated with anything hot and spicy. Love making hot sauces, salsas, chilies, etc... However I don't think they'd fair well in New England. Id have to look into more.

That guy is crazy, and very stupid. His throat must have literally been on fire!

_craig_

These are all gone. I am still kicking myself for not saving more. The seeds keep very well so those who asked for some, don't forget to save them to replant and hand out next year.

.....It'll just put the sweat to your forehead, but not leave you in pain....
That's the level I like for curry, basically any spicy food. Lots of flavor and enough heat to say "...we're not kidding here..." but not enough to cause pain....:p

Most Asian and Indian cultures have food down to a science. The whole hot, sweet, sour, salty, bitter, crunchy (I know that's called something) makes for a damn good meal using almost anything. I have never used Bhut Jolokias when making curries because I don't make that much at a time and with all of the work that goes into them I'd really be pissed if I couldn't enjoy it.

Im amazed at the UTube vid and the comments on UTube LOL.
If they are all that people make em out to be I will be making all sorts of weird and wonderful Pickles with them.
As far as NZ customs goes mate, its really hit or miss. I remember my uncle posting some Canadian Potatoes to himself when he visited for a Squadron Reunion over there and they got past ok.
I think the nicest type of pickle I ever had was Habaneros with Cocktail onions, So these chillies made like that, would be little balls of dynamite ...LOL

Three of my six seeds came up and are about an inch tall at the moment. Looks like its gonna be a hot summer :thumbs:

Just watch the hot direct sunlight. They take a day or two of being outdoors and then back in to acclimate them unless you sowed them outside. I burnt up about a dozen plants that had about 6-8 leaves on them last week when it was 97 degrees. Luckily I've got some more.

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/maddog357ghp.html
This sauce is yummy, when no peppers are available it makes a great addition to food.

http://www.alamocitypepperproducts.com/Seasonings/ghostchile.html

Looks like you can buy the peppers here, maybe they're dehydrated? I don't know...but I sure am tempted to buy some. Maybe when the little lady is being a "b****" I can tell her it's just a regular chili pepper. :laugh:

med_gallery_2712_32_1034584.jpg

4 months and three plantings later the fruits of my labor have started to grow. I have about 50-60 peppers on right now and lots of flowers getting ready. The first two plantings fried in the sun and were attacked and eaten by God knows what.

How did everyone else do? They are bastards to grow, eh?!

nfulton - I would be interested in some of these seeds if you wouldn't mind sending a few from that batch when they are ready ?? If not, no worries. I am a fellow green thumb and have a decent sized pepper garden. I am looking for a little heat in my pickling for next years go around. These peppers would be perfect for that... keep me posted. Thanks

Definately. I have a list started and will have ample seeds to go around.