• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Warning to the Board about an "Old" New Vendor

LarryH

Stogiesaurus
I received an unsolicited email today from habanex.com about their new website.  I PM'd Rod and the box split group I'm in and was informed that it's a revamped '1001' who made off with a lot of money during the 2010 fiasco.  They've done it once so the chances they'll do it again are "better than average".

Jay, Never mind... I figured it out. :rolleyes:

You really have that story all wrong. Also, an email is not unsolicited if you're on their emailing list.

robbiex0r said:
You really have that story all wrong. Also, an email is not unsolicited if you're on their emailing list.

You may be right.  I probably signed up for the mailing list on their previous website that has been gone for about two years.  That has been rectified.

As for the rest of it, I have no personal knowledge about other BOTLs/SOTLs loss of funds so I guess it's here-say.

robbiex0r said:
He's just trying to share a "Buyers Beware" post for the members here, and provided a reference as to why they should be scrutinized by the potential buyer. Your post is either a troll post to stir stuff up or it's a legitimate statement. I can never actually tell anymore with you. That being said, if you can show why LarryH's statement is unfounded and the story he has is all wrong, I'd be open to hearing it. Otherwise, I don't get your point besides pot-stirring.

The email also listed EsplendXXXs cigars, which I never picked stuff up from but did one time years ago sign up for emails from.

souldog said:
He's just trying to share a "Buyers Beware" post for the members here, and provided a reference as to why they should be scrutinized by the potential buyer. Your post is either a troll post to stir stuff up or it's a legitimate statement. I can never actually tell anymore with you. That being said, if you can show why LarryH's statement is unfounded and the story he has is all wrong, I'd be open to hearing it. Otherwise, I don't get your point besides pot-stirring.

Well... his "Buyer Beware" statement wasn't exactly the entire story. And vaguely referring to the "2010 fiasco" doesn't really provide any insight.

However, I want to first address the "I can never tell anymore with you." Full disclosure for the newer members here - I am friends with Robbie. That being said, what exactly can't you tell? Since you've been "back," Robbie has made 9 posts. One was to wish a poster a happy birthday. One was to relay a story of a time he met a board member who recently passed away. One was a post concerning open discussion of an illegal activity on the board. Five were addressing the laughable idea that another group of cigar smokers "stole" an idea for something they were doing months before the poster here started his version of the stolen idea. Included in those five was Robbie addressing the accusation that he was trolling by pointing out that the poster here accusing him of being a troll was incorrect. The ninth was his post in this thread.

To be perfectly honest, I'm tired of the horseshit posts calling Robbie a troll just because someone disagrees with what he posted. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was 100% correct in his posts the last time. And, imo, he's also correct here.

I'm not saying the vendor mentioned should be trusted. What I am saying is that a blanket statement that presents roughly zero facts serves no one here any good.

The story, the best I know it is this: The vendor's former business name was a known vendor who had a shipping guarantee. The "2010 fiasco" was a time when there was a system-wide clamp down on packages coming from overseas, and packages that normally weren't subjected to search all of a sudden were searched. This led to a huge spike in the number of seizures, and thus, and huge spike in the number of claims for either refunds or replacements.

Shortly after this, the vendor using the old name seemingly closed their doors. Their website shut down. Personally, I was not involved in any of the transactions in question, so I do not know if, in fact, anyone lost money. The story goes that people whose orders were seized in this change of policy were not taken care of the way the company's original shipping guarantee said they would be.

I would imagine (again, this is just my opinion) that now that there is a new company name, they sent out an email blast to everyone who was on their email list under their old name to announce that they're back in business.

Let's try to keep this thread on point for what Larry intended, instead of lolblamerobbie.

robbiex0r said:
My experience also contrasts with the OP. That being said, caution seems wise.

Tom, I appreciate the informative post. That did more for me than Robbie's two sentences. As for calling him a troll, I blame Robbie. :thumbs:

LarryH said:
I received an unsolicited email today from habanex.com about their new website.

So that's who they are, thanks for the heads up.

I was wondering who the heck they were and how they got my email address....figured it was just spam.

For the newbs out there who may not know what is being discussed, let me explain the two different dynamics going on within Larry's thread here....and I'll explain as a dark Fairy Tale.

Dream1_zps3e86e371.jpg

Dream2_zpse54c1c72.jpg

Dream3_zpsaabf6556.jpg

I hope this clears things up.

Gary, whatever you took this morning, can you bring a bag, tab, dropper, or whatever unit it is dispensed in for me at QSH? Thanks.

LarryH said:
I received an unsolicited email today from habanex.com about their new website.  I PM'd Rod and the box split group I'm in and was informed that it's a revamped '1001' who made off with a lot of money during the 2010 fiasco.  They've done it once so the chances they'll do it again are "better than average".

Jay, Never mind... I figured it out. :rolleyes:

If you were on their former site, then the list is theirs. This site is a re-incarnation of the former - with a new name.

One way to determine this....mouse over and 'unsubscribe' link in the email...it references the former websites list page!

tomthirtysix said:
Gary, whatever you took this morning, can you bring a bag, tab, dropper, or whatever unit it is dispensed in for me at QSH? Thanks.

Seriously!  Wow LMAO

I had to read your post twice Gary.  I really didn't grasp it in it's entirety the first time through, so I dropped some acid and reread it.  Oh, Yah...makes sense now! :whistling:

i usually dont check the cuban sub-section of the forum but i am so glad i did this time. Gary that was hilarious

I still blame robbie, did I win?

Gary I'll have some of that, TIA!