• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

WARNING! Win 10 Forced Upgrade

LarryH

Stogiesaurus
Careful Brothers and Sisters. Microsoft is trying to force the Win 10 upgrade on any Win 7/8 system with Automatic Updates turned on. I caught mine at 6% and forced a shutdown. I found a little app download called Never10 that seems to have done the trick. I have no affiliation and of course use at your own discretion.

There's a KB that you can disable that will kill the popup installer.

Had to do that on my work laptop.

Yeah, I've done that several times. I'm hoping that Never10 will be a permanent solution. Time will tell. Another thorn in my side is that they downloaded the 5GB of files ahead of time. So far they've been on 2 of my machines.

Accidentally upgraded (retro graded) wishing this was seen before the deed was done.

"Change, even for the better, is inconvenient."
Samuel Johnson.

You can make setting changes to not have it TRACK things.
You can also stop it from installing.
You can also go with an Open Source OS and patch it yourself.

It's free - it must be good!

*actually - they are pushing folks toward it because it's a new platform that will work better across the board (so they say).
http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I like Windows 10. I like it better than any previous Windows OS. My mom hates changing operating systems and she even said she likes it, much smoother and faster she says. To each their own I guess.

Gary,

I have thought about switching to Linux on the laptop that I rarely use for anything but streaming now. Just to try it out.

Brian, I had already tried to upgrade the OS on said laptop at Microsoft's instance that it was compatible. It wasn't and will never be. Too old. The same one they just tried to automatically install it on.

I've heard of some compatability issues from a few folks like you who had older hardware. You run that risk with any new OS. If you want a Linux build I like Ubuntu. Pretty good for FREE. Who doesn't like free?

I've heard of some compatability issues from a few folks like you who had older hardware. You run that risk with any new OS. If you want a Linux build I like Ubuntu. Pretty good for FREE. Who doesn't like free?

Ubuntu is a nice version.