• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Well, I finally joined the 21st century . . .

And traded in my clamshell brick for a smartphone---Samsung Galaxy Reverb running Android 4.0, on Virgin Mobile.

There appears to be a fairly steep learning curve involved here, but I'm at least starting to get the hang of the onscreen keyboard.  I guess I'm going to be spending the next few days going through the manual and getting everything set up.

Online activation with Virgin is a pain in the ass, but eventually, my phone mysteriously got activated and started working. I have NO idea how to do much with it, but was able to access Facebook, check my voicemail, and make a phone call.

I look forward to joining the ranks of people who sit around staring at their phones.  :rolleyes:

~Boar

Not A Nice Person said:
And traded in my clamshell brick for a smartphone---Samsung Galaxy Reverb running Android 4.0, on Virgin Mobile.

There appears to be a fairly steep learning curve involved here, but I'm at least starting to get the hang of the onscreen keyboard.  I guess I'm going to be spending the next few days going through the manual and getting everything set up.

Online activation with Virgin is a pain in the ass, but eventually, my phone mysteriously got activated and started working. I have NO idea how to do much with it, but was able to access Facebook, check my voicemail, and make a phone call.

I look forward to joining the ranks of people who sit around staring at their phones.  :rolleyes:

~Boar
Welcome to the 21st Century.  The convenience factor that a smartphone offers over a traditional cellphone cannot be overstated.

Now you can make your bathroom time more productive

Wait till you start posting here on your smartphone all the while remembering correct punctuation and capitalization, PITA!

But worth it.

Now the management of the expectations regarding communications with you has to be addressed. Whether voice, text, or email...most people expect you to answer much more quickly then when you had your old brick phone. Especially in business, people now give the recipients of their email, text, or VM at LEAST 3-5 minutes before they get pissy and impatient. I juggle two of them daily (business & personal dumb phones) and it does present a challenge at times.

I call it, "No place to run, no place to hide."

Although Boar, I have a feeling you'll do just fine in their pursuit of you. For some reason, I just don't see you joining the ranks of those that need an ice pack at the base of their neck at days end from constantly staring downwards.

ironpeddler said:
For some reason, I just don't see you joining the ranks of those that need an ice pack at the base of their neck at days end from constantly staring downwards.

Well, I'll have to get a whole lot better with that teensy little onscreen keyboard before texting ever becomes a regular part of my life, lol. And I've managed to access my Facebook and Pinterest pages a couple times, but only by accident.  :rolleyes:  Every time I try to do it again I have to figure it out all over!  :laugh:

~Boar

I'm spoiled now that I have my smart phone.

You can do almost anything you want from it.

It's pretty much a hand held lap top.

And there are tons of apps for you to use, like: check your bank account from your phone, make pay pal transactions, follow the stock markets, check the weather, go to YouTube and a lot of other fun stuff.

The best app I've installed to date is called UDeposit and is exactly what it sound like.  It takes an email or phone call with the bank or in my case credit union to set it up but is well worth the time.  Now I can deposit a check in about the same amount of time that it takes me to gather my belongings and get in the car.

One thing I'm finding is that the preloaded app widgets tend to be utter crap.  If I go to Facebook via the internet widget, I get my page.  If I use their widget, I get an incomprehensible interface and a download that never finishes downloading.  Likewise Pinterest, except there I actually have to switch to Yahoo search from the default Google, because the link won't open on Google, but will on Yahoo.  

Plus there's a ton of shit I know I'm NEVER going to use.  Any advice/websites/hacks out there on getting this thing customized?

~Boar

One thing I'm finding is that the preloaded app widgets tend to be utter crap.  If I go to Facebook via the internet widget, I get my page.  If I use their widget, I get an incomprehensible interface and a download that never finishes downloading.  Likewise Pinterest, except there I actually have to switch to Yahoo search from the default Google, because the link won't open on Google, but will on Yahoo.  

Plus there's a ton of shit I know I'm NEVER going to use.  Any advice/websites/hacks out there on getting this thing customized?

~Boar
if you want to do a full customization, you want to root it. Many android devices are coming pre-rooted from the factory, so that's a plus. Basically rooting means reinstalling android yourself, so you can access the stuff the manufacturer's version has locked out. Use Google or find a nerd friend who can help you.