• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What do you do with a new box of cigars?

Cigar FF

I've been more of a lurker lately then a poster trying to learn more about cigars, storage and everything related. I'm still quite wet behind the ears but enjoy becoming more educated about cigars. I've learned it's quite a conversational piece.

What is your routine when you receive a new box of cigars, whether it be from an online retailer, B&M or CP retailer? I would guess the answer may vary depending on the source of your cigars but do you immediately introduce the cigars to your humidor? Do you smoke one right away? Do you have a temporary humidor to let the new box of cigars moisten up before putting them in your main humidor? What is your routine? 

I have stayed with a Lock & Lock container for my primary storage as I find it keeps the RH very steady and re-humidifies rather quickly after being opened. It easily holds 75 cigars and I have a 3/4 of a pound to a pound of 70% Heartfelt beads in there. It holds anywhere between 67% & 70%. I have been sampling different singles in the last year and have not purchased a box of cigars until this past week. I do leave the cello on my cigars if they have them.

I'm pooling for ideas to see how others handle their new additions. I still am not very good at gauging the moisture by gently squeezing a cigar so I don't know if my new boxes of cigars are too dry or too moist. I want to make sure I handle over $100 worth of cigars properly and not tank 'em somehow. 

In the past, I've just briefly looked at them and threw them in the humidor for a few days before smoking them, especially in the summer months. In my mind, it would allow them to get better acclimated to my desired RH. My only concern with inspections is my lack of knowledge and what really to look for. I figured everybody had a routine so why not ask. 

Open, admire, inspect, put in humidor, wait a couple of minutes, open humidor, select one and smoke it.

When I bought cigars by the box and I had my cooler set up, I would open the box, to make sure the cigars were in good shape, smoke one OTT(off the truck)and put the box in the cooler for sometime.  I liked to keep the cigars in the box they came in. Just a thing I had at the time. With the lock and lock, unless you pick up one big enough, you don't have the option.

Now here we go with Cello on or off. I liked to take the cello off. Personal choice there, but I didn't want the oils from the cigars going into the cello. I would rather it leach to the wrapper. I still do this with my singles in the humidor.

Undegreed said:
Open, admire, inspect, put in humidor, wait a couple of minutes, open humidor, select one and smoke it.

This!

Thanks for the feedback. I have not experimented with the cello off with the exception of a few singled I've received that didn't have it. I did however, have a flavored cigar (unbeknownst to me at the time) that was not in the cello and the flavor was noticed in a few other cigars. Thankfully, it was only a few cigars but this has prevented me from unwrapping cigars. I'm sure it's a different situation but still. 

I do have a cooler that I bought for boxes but haven't had time to clean it out and purchase shelving for it. Now that I've found a few cigars that I like, I plan on buying more boxes and have the cooler serve it's purpose. 

Grab the package, open and hide from the gf (let says lots of boxes arrived in the last few days), inspect the content and drop it in the cooler for a week.

I will typically do the same as the others have said.  Open box, inspect cigars for damage, smoke one right away, and let the rest sleep in the humi.

Where is Skyking.   Didn't he always give away the first cigar from a box as a good luck offering.

CBoukal said:
Where is Skyking.   Didn't he always give away the first cigar from a box as a good luck offering.

Yes its something Gary (ironpeddler) told him about, which he picked up from is uncle. I'm sure one of them will weigh in! 

Open, inspect, smell a few times, close, put in wineador for a while.

Open, inspect, date if need be, and put them away for 3 weeks, if I can make it that long, before smoking one.

Open, smoke one (I can never resist) let the others rest a bit---a week for boxes, three days for singles seems to be enough for them to settle in and acclimate to my taste.

~Boar

Open, inspect, close, give to friend to hold on to in his coolidor or locker cuz I'm out of space

Smoke the day they arrive or the next and try to keep my hands off of hem for a week. If they are purchased at a B&M I may not even open and stick in the humidor fora year or so. Depends on if I think they will settle down and improve and if I can stay out of them. Seems like once the box is opened they go fast, at least till I get halfway thru, then I seem to regain control and let them age.

Smoke one as soon as I can, get disappointed, store them in the humi for several weeks, repeat original process and am happy!

Ogle the pics of them that y'all post because my wife would shoot me if she saw me buying boxes :(

Slick300 said:
Ogle the pics of them that y'all post because my wife would shoot me if she saw me buying boxes :(

This is why I have my friends address memorized.