• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What food will you finally try in 2022?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I have two things I want to try/perfect.

One is a Chilean Sea Bass that @jfields has made for me a couple times which is indescribably delicious. I think he does it with risotto, capers, and dill?

Another is a dish I had in Savannah Ga. called "Nested Salmon". I had this one night and tried numerous times to recreate it. I got it right a couple times and made a mess a few times. It's basically a seared salmon filet wrapped in a pasta (angel hair) nest which has been cooked al-dente and then seared on a nuclear hot grill.

Sear the salmon and set it aside, keeping it warm. Take the al-dente pasta and spread it on a red hot griddle with 50/50 butter and oil. Toss the pasta for a few seconds and then spread it out and let it char. Slap the salmon in the middle, wrap it up, take it off the griddle. Drizzle with Bearnaise or Seafood Newburg sauce. The pasta should be crunchy.

If I come across whole filet at a reasonable price , might try Wellington again.

Might give french onion soup a go.

And if I can find horseradish root , I'm going to give a go at making horseradish.

Also on the hunt for a ghost pepper jam , recipe

With the acquisition of a KJ, I want to try to smoke food. I did ribs the other day and it was awesome. I want to try wings, brisket, lamb and other pork cuts.
I agree with Justin, pulled pork is inexpensive and simple. I heavily wrap it in foil when it's a few degrees short of temp and then wrap that in old bath towels and put it in a cooler for a couple hours while I prep the rest ........ and drink beer.

The cooler trick may not work so well in single digit temps.:)

I agree with Justin, pulled pork is inexpensive and simple. I heavily wrap it in foil when it's a few degrees short of temp and then wrap that in old bath towels and put it in a cooler for a couple hours while I prep the rest ........ and drink beer.

The cooler trick may not work so well in single digit temps.:)
Cooler trick is the best. I use it for pretty much everything I smoke.

Same. I use pink paper, but I’ve held turkeys, ribs, brisket and pork butt in a cooler with towels for hours and it’s always warm when I’m ready to cut it up.
Yeah, anecdotally it seems like the connective tissue continues to break down as it sits too. Best briskets I've made have sat in a cooler for many hours. Most things come out hot enough they still burn my hands cutting/pulling it, even as many as 6 hours later.

Only time it's gone wrong was putting a prime rib in the that finished early, and it continued coming, duh!

Yeah, anecdotally it seems like the connective tissue continues to break down as it sits too. Best briskets I've made have sat in a cooler for many hours. Most things come out hot enough they still burn my hands cutting/pulling it, even as many as 6 hours later.

Only time it's gone wrong was putting a prime rib in the that finished early, and it continued coming, duh!

Yep, it still always amazes me how hot things are, coming out of the cooler. Like you said, still way too hot to handle, but I still push through and sacrifice the roof of my mouth, to sample.

I want to try my hand a Julia Child’s classic beef bourguignon recipe. I’m not a huge red wine lover, but I do love the flavors cooking with it imparts on food.

I want to try my hand a Julia Child’s classic beef bourguignon recipe. I’m not a huge red wine lover, but I do love the flavors cooking with it imparts on food.

Not a red wine lover? That's too bad because Julia always said......every good recipe starts with a glass of wine for the cook!

I made it for the first time a month or so ago, but not that recipe. No different really than cooking a typical beef stew. It's awesome stuff. My buddy made it and added a cinnamon stick or two, which is very non-traditional but damn was it tastey!

Pickled beets.
Gross

I'm making that, sounds delicious.

Pickled beets.
One of my favorites. Growing up my mother had a jar in the refrigerator all the time and she just kept adding to it. Dad loved them and it was great snack food for three growing boys!

Same recipe with the eggs or without.

Eggs - Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs

Ingredients

12 hardboiled eggs

2 (15 ounce) cans beets, liquid reserved

1 cup onion, thinly sliced, boil with liquid

1 cup white sugar

1 1/2 cup white vinegar

optional

1 thinly sliced onion into the hot liquid

Directions

Hard boil the eggs

Place spices, beets, onion, and peeled eggs in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.

In a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Pour hot liquid over beets and eggs. Cover, and refrigerate 48 hours before using.

Next time you visit, I am going to "try to" teach you how to enjoy red wine. It's a must with certain dishes and, as Julia says, while cooking.

View attachment 51281This guy had an awesome show. Like Julia, he thought wine was just as good or better, IN the chef than in the food! Loved ol’ Justin. RIP!

Floyd T
Justin Wilson was the first "Good Ol Boy" to ever have a show on prime time. He knew how to cook food that stuck to your ribs!