• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's the best way to pay?

sterlingnotes

I haven't purchased any cigars from a source outside of the US in about a year, but last time I did, it was a big headache.
The retailer called me an told me that my card got denied.
I had plenty of funds in my account to cover the purchase. 
When I called my bank, they told me that they needed to know the exact amout of the purchase and the retailers name and I had to get it pre-approved for any purchase outside of the US.  It took 3 or 4 calls to finally get it to happen.
I'd like to make another purchase, but is there a better way?
Should I get a gift card and use that instead?
How do you guys pay for your cigars when making a purchase outside of the US?

I only made one cigar order outside the US and didn't have any issues with it or my CC.  I may have gotten a text from my bank to confirm the order.  If the site is a legit place i wouldn't have any problem using my CC but since you can never be too careful a prepaid is not always a bad idea.  Just make sure the retailer does take them or a gift card from a CC company.  I have seen one or two from the US that didn't.  

I've used my CC with no issue. PM me if you want any further details.

Chase puts a hold on my transaction until I verify that they are legit. Once I do, everything goes through without a hitch. I have heard folks over on the Pipe Forums complain that VISA is starting to hassle folks purchasing overseas (there's a lot of British tobacco that isn't imported). Someone reported that he was told if he authorized the transaction, he would be held responsible for any fraud on his card during the next 30 days. Seems a bit far fetched to me, probably just internet babble, but you never know.

CC is the only way I've ever gone. Know who and where your buying from, there's plenty of good vendors out there. PM me if you want more info.

sterlingnotes said:
I haven't purchased any cigars from a source outside of the US in about a year, but last time I did, it was a big headache.
The retailer called me an told me that my card got denied.
I had plenty of funds in my account to cover the purchase. 
When I called my bank, they told me that they needed to know the exact amout of the purchase and the retailers name and I had to get it pre-approved for any purchase outside of the US.  It took 3 or 4 calls to finally get it to happen.
I'd like to make another purchase, but is there a better way?
Should I get a gift card and use that instead?
How do you guys pay for your cigars when making a purchase outside of the US?

Contact your bank or CC prior and have them open the account to over seas purchases.

My credit union card was locked like that. They would not even allow the purchases....period. 

I pressed for the card to be removed from that list...now it works just fine.

grateful1 said:

Contact your bank or CC prior and have them open the account to over seas purchases.

My credit union card was locked like that. They would not even allow the purchases....period. 

I pressed for the card to be removed from that list...now it works just fine.

My card is through a Credit Union also. 
Thanks for the input.