• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your thoughts on this vehicle?

Bu11dog

Thinking of purchasing a 2003 Land Rover Discovery SE with 139,xxx miles

Took it for a test drive, seems to all be in order, taking it to mechanic tomorrow to see what they say.
Dealer wants $7995.

I have heard all of the comments from "run far, run fast" to "buy it, they are awesome"

I do have a very trusted, awesome mechanic who works on Porsche, MB, Land Rover's, Ferrari's, etc.  He charges a fraction of the dealers and does a way more thorough job, so I know at least for that end I have someone who won't blow smoke up my a$$.

My needs are to transport my to kids, 10 & 13 a Rottweiler and pull a 19' camper trailer that weighs in at around 4000lbs +/-

Thoughts?

I have many friends that have HAD Range/Land Rovers in general. They spend a lot of time in the shop. I wouldn't recommend a higher end vehicle out of warranty. When work is needed - it is pricey!

I usually get rid of my vehicles before the warranty is up.  

ETA: Just realized that this is posted in the wrong section. Should be down in the Lobby Non-Cigar Related.

My friend/coworker bought a used land rover at a great price, but sucker was in the shop too often, Ended up trading it in. I'd pass. Research that class of vehicle, remember, if it sounds too good... Best of luck.

C

The Land Rover Discovery is notorious for being problematic - expect a close relationship with your friendly mechanic. Major engine issues common at the 120K+ mark.  I wouldn't touch unless it was the original owner,with documented maintenance history.

That's an awful lot of miles for a used vehicle, especially one with the Discovery's crap reputation for build quality.

Edited to add: in general, NEVER buy a used 4 X 4 . . . they get flogged by their original owners all too often.

~Boar

I would be concerned because of age. 

11 years old. Relays, modules, parts start to go from age regardless of mileage.

I'm thinking it's a little wimpy for towing that trailer, also. If your pulling distance is very far I would want something with more oomph.

If you continue down the path towards purchase arrange to pull the trailer up and down a few hills and see how it does.

The shape of the trailer will mean a lot.

I have a 4.3 Pathfinder, does a great job pulling my 4,000 lb boat/trailer to the lake and back for an Hour and 15 min pull.

Had a 16 foot cube trailer, much lower curb weight - used mostly empty - wanted it for standup/rollaboard loading.

No way I would pull that cube trailer over 30/35 miles, wind resistance made the pathfinder really work. 

Basically, the transmission on a 4.3 engine is not going to be beefy enough for much pulling of a box type trailer often over long distances.

If you pull the trailer twice a year for two hours, that's one thing. Weekends during the summer is something else.

Flat lands, hills and mountains are a whole lot different.

I would want something beefier for towing, if you tow much or have much elevation change.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying I wouldn't want to use it very much as a tow car of a 19 ft 4,000 lb trailer.

My brother has a Land Rover, about the same year.  It's not his primary vehicle and I think he only paid $3K-4K for it.  

He spends a fair amount of time in his garage keeping everything working.  Finding parts isn't exactly convenient either.  Many times they have to be ordered in from overseas and the vehicle has to sit while he waits for the parts to be delivered.

I would think you could get something more reliable for $8000 unless you are set on getting the Disco

Thanks everyone. Back on the hunt we go. I was looking at suburbans in 4x4 might he'd back that route.

Good call!  
I had a friend who has owned them thru the years...this model/era is even crappier than most!

Suburban....mmmmm! :D

(Picked up an '02 2500 for a very good price - newer models are $$$!)

Bu11dog said:
Thanks everyone. Back on the hunt we go. I was looking at suburbans in 4x4 might he'd back that route.

A buddy just picked up a NICE F150 4-door four wheel drive truck with 80K-ish miles in that price range.  Given your needs, something like that would be my first choice.

Bu11dog said:
Great way to go, thought about coming back and posting to that effect.

Have owned several suburbans, they make great tow cars and will be good for pulling that 19ft.

Further, the longer wheelbase will track a lot better than something like that Land rover.

Can't beat wheelbase and cubic inches for towing.

Also, for the price range that you were looking at the Land Rover, it will really be hard to get a suitable tow vehicle in that range other than a suburban

BlindedByScience said:
A buddy just picked up a NICE F150 4-door four wheel drive truck with 80K-ish miles in that price range.  Given your needs, something like that would be my first choice.
F-150 good stuff there if it has been cared for and seems in good shape. FORD!!! 'MERICA!!! Good cars and trucks.

Just don't skimp on towing capacity.  Towing a 4,000lb camper, while not heavy compared to others, can be challenging if not set up correctly from the start.

If you want to pretend you're a genius chemist with a dark side, I know of a Breaking Bad Aztek in you area! :laugh:

I'll take the Aztek, never know when I'll need a hit.

Been a busy week, looking at 3 different suburbans.  All to no avail.  Contacted a couple dealers, nothing.  Two tried to sell me a Lexus GX470.  After a quick internet search that was a no go.
Tonight I'm supposed to go look at the F150 I spoke about, he want $9900 with 132,xxx miles, looks nice in the pictures.  Sunday I'm supposed to go look at another Z71 Suburban that's a 2003 with 175,000, it's white with creme leather, looks awesome.  We'll see how it drives.  
Then I'm looking at a 2000 Excursion, I already love it just from what it is.  I forget the miles but it's low 100's and leather interior that looks like they didn't even use it.  He want $5900

It's feast or famine and right now I'm full!

jfields said:
What put you off on the Lexus?
I absolutely loved the Lexus!!!  It was $12,000 at a dealer.  The 4.7 V8 moved the truck down the road great.  The towing capacity seemed a little slim at about 6000lbs though.  Should I re-consider?  The wife and kids would freakin' love it and I do love the higher end vehicles and this one had stuff I didn't even know they put on trucks back then.

ALWAYS use KBB.Com for fair vehicle value, or trade value ...and for comparison pricing use autotrader.com and cars.com. Just my .02 never get hosed on a trade it on used vehicle purchase price. A dealer makes money on used sales and hiking up the price. You usually have about 500-2000 worth of negotiating room. THEY ALWAYS call you back. Never take the 1st offer/price deal no matter how good. They always ask what is it gonna take? Take advantage that they need the sale more than you need the vehicle. Good luck.

Lexus & Toyota's are known for reliability and hold their resale values. What year and how many miles on the GX470?

Light this! said:
Lexus & Toyota's are known for reliability and hold their resale values. What year and how many miles on the GX470?
What Kris said!

The Toyota Sequoia is basically the same no frills vehicle and might be easier on your budget than the Lexus. Yes, they don't have the suspension of an F-250, but you can not beat the reliability and resale value. My 2005 Tundra Limited Quad Cab has 150k...... I've replaced the front pads twice, and an O2 sensor on it.

My wife absolutely loves her 2012 Lexus LS350. Sporty luxury without having to pay a premium for maintenance.