• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Which would you visit?

If you had an hour, which would you pick?

• Visit Famous Retail Store?

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Visit CI Retail Store?

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Skip them both, get home hour earlier

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

jorel

I am going to be driving with my family by Allentown, Pa., on Saturday. I noticed that both Famous and CI have large retail outfits both close to each other and not far from the highway.

Has anyone been to either? Am thinking I have one shot - can't make the family endure two side trips. Or, blow by them both??

Thanks,

John

Just my personal opinion, but I would think somebody who has been around the block like yourself wouldn't get much out of either of those. CI has a picture of their shop in Bethlehem and it looks like a rather small store with maybe a lounge attached.
n18166757566_5443.jpg

I couldn't find anything on Famous but since they are one of the largest mail order suppliers like CI, I would imagine their shop would be about the same. If you were new to cigars and hadn't seen a lot of the cigars you read about in person it might be a worthwhile trip. I know the first time I went into the Outlaw I just walked around the humidor for an hour pretty much in awe, but now I look for atmosphere and friendly service more, which the Outlaw also happens to have. I know some CP members have been to Philly Smoke Shop but I haven't seen Hermit around in awhile so I'm not sure if it would be worth it to you visiting there or not. Wherever you go, I hope you enjoy yourself.

I voted for CI, but that is only becasue I've never been to Famous, so I couldn't in good conscience recommend the place. Although I would suspect that both are fairly similar, just a guess though. I have been to the CI retail store twice. It is fairly large for a cigar retailer as far as footprint, but then I'm used to NYC sized cigar retailers. Still they have a lot of cigars and a few HTFs which they keep near the register. The lounge is nice, and the store is large and spacious. Both times I visited I hit the store in the morning on my way back to NY and each time there was a group outside waiting for the store to open. Like Moe said...the selection of smokes won't blow you away, but I think it is worth checking out. I've never been to the Outlaw, so I can't say as to whether it is up to Outlaw standards or not, but in terms of cigar retailers in yours and my neck of the woods...I don't think you would be disappointed in visiting it at least once.

How about Atlantic in Stroudsburg?
Nice guys, nice selection and a cool little town to grab a bite in.
If you like wings there's a Cluck U (maybe Pluck U) with damn decent buffalo chicken.

-Rob

What cigar are you going to find there that you can't on here? Stop by a fireworks outlet instead

Thanks for all the tips so far. I have learned a lot thanks to CP and have been fortunate to smoke many of the best smokes on earth in past 18 months! So, maybe Nasty's advice is best so far.

Still, maybe I will set foot in one. As of now, no clear winner to separate me from my money.

John

been to both, a couple years ago when I went down to Famous' CigarFest (along with a quick stop into the 'in town' store that C.I. had at the time (is it still there?) of the two, I found that C.I. had the larger floor space in their shop while it seemed like Famous was more of a small store tucked into the corner of their warehouse building. no real opinion on which might be "better". sadly, I missed out on hitting Atlantic, as I didn't realize at the time that it was somewhat 'in the area' as well.

enjoy your trip :thumbs:

Hello from the CI Superstore. Yes - travel with my computer.

So I can see why the vote was split - with "getting home an hour earlier" faring so well. As comments indicated, store is nice tribute to cigars but no surprises on stuff I can't find here on CP. Sure - can't argue with overall selection (depth and breadth). But - no bargains. The Opus start at $25, for example (always chuckle when I see Between the Lines for $25, too).

But - for my in-house smoke I chose a Graycliff Double Espresso robusto. For some reason, because they are so heavily advertised by CI I have been lumping them in with other bulk smokes. But - this has changed my opinion of them. the Double Espresso is a medium-bold smoke that has kept my interest.

Heading back home - hoping the Tappan Zee bridge is clear.

John

Hello from the CI Superstore. Yes - travel with my computer.

So I can see why the vote was split - with "getting home an hour earlier" faring so well. As comments indicated, store is nice tribute to cigars but no surprises on stuff I can't find here on CP. Sure - can't argue with overall selection (depth and breadth). But - no bargains. The Opus start at $25, for example (always chuckle when I see Between the Lines for $25, too).

But - for my in-house smoke I chose a Graycliff Double Espresso robusto. For some reason, because they are so heavily advertised by CI I have been lumping them in with other bulk smokes. But - this has changed my opinion of them. the Double Espresso is a medium-bold smoke that has kept my interest.

Heading back home - hoping the Tappan Zee bridge is clear.

John

Glad to hear you got a good smoking experience out of the visit John.