• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

With all the Golf talk, let's talk practice

ilikefishes

Hey everyone, just wanted to kind of see what you all do to practice to make yourselves better.  I am a firm believer in practicing perfectly and then taking that to the course, as the legendary Vince Lombardi once said.  So I plan out a practice routine and stick to that plan religiously.  It is very important that you practice all parts of the game and in the %'s that they actually show themselves in your game.

So let's have it what do you work on when you are practicing?  What types of drills do you use?  Or are you someone that just buys the most expensive and newest equipment and hopes that will work? 

I don't really practice as you describe.  I like to practice on the course.  I'll work on shots I'm having trouble with currently.  Any more than that and it feels too much like work.  I average a new set of irons about every 7 years or so.  Woods and putters are usually replaced more frequently.

I spend about 70% of my practice time working on shots 100 yards or less. Shots around the green, bunker shots, chips, pitches and putts. I don't usually do drills unless I am really struggling and I buy new equipment about every 10 years or so. I change my own grips about every other year. 

I work on my consistency the most. The swing is a huge part of it, making sure I'm not swinging away from my body or towards my body during my back swing. I usually also give up during the swing and end up short. Concentration, concentration. So I need to practice more during the week, be committed.

I normally replace my equipment as needed. I replace my controller about once a year after the grip has been rubbed off from sweaty hands and the joysticks become lethargic from the flavoring on my fingers left behind by Cheetos. On average I replace my Xbox approximately every 3 years.

Nice discussions and input.  I like to see how different people approach the game and especially the video game aspect.  Anyone else have any input?  I know we have more golfers here.

sigar_zealot said:
I spend about 70% of my practice time working on shots 100 yards or less. Shots around the green, bunker shots, chips, pitches and putts. I don't usually do drills unless I am really struggling and I buy new equipment about every 10 years or so. I change my own grips about every other year. 
I second this. A strong short game is key to a happy golf outing. You only hit off the tee box once a hole and even then your driver might not be the best choice...

I personally enjoy the driving range and typically start on the range working from my wedge's to my low irons before hitting the chipping and putting greens. I work on my driving last as I have a habit of "swinging for the fences" and I find that if I tire myself out it's easier for me to relax the pace of  my swing and decrease my swing speed. 

Jake! We still need to go golfing.. enough with this golden tee :p

I finish the range with 50 yard shots...until I'm 'comfortable'.  
Most folks can hit full shots...it's the 1/2 shots that people have trouble with...the 50yd drill helps me with that aspect (and tempo).

Most times I find just chipping a putting to be the most beneficial.

At the range I usually start with my wedges with an alignment tool on the ground hit all my clubs going up and then pretend to play different hole, start with driver and go to wedge or long iron and maybe chip, depend on the quality of the shots.  I finish with my 56 degree wedge, four or five balls.

Chipping and putting -I go out to the back yard- :D -and play a hole till I chip it in or have the line and speed on the putt, then change holes and repeat. 

It is great to see the differences in what people want out of the game when it comes to practice.  That in a way mirrors cigar smoking.  We all want and like what we do and that is fine.  Same goes here.  The more you put into it the more you get out of it.  I know a ton of people who just like to go out there and don't care if they shoot 80 or 180.  So let's keep those practice routines coming.  I know there are more golfers on this board.  So let's hear it.

I'll usually warm up with a 7 or 5 iron and when I start to get into the grove, I'll start to take my time and switch up my clubs in random order.  I'll finish out with wedges at the end but I play so infrequently now that my golf experiences are mainly at the range.  With a cigar.  And then I'm concentrating more on the cigar.  And the beer.  So really I'm there to smoke, drink, and swing sticks.

I have several approaches to practicing.  Part of it takes place in my back yard where I will take a 7 iron and work on tempo, timing, swing plane and the "feel" of my hands and arms at impact, as I hit off a mat into a net.  These are often half swings at 75% or so.  This has been a focus for me around a year since I started taking some "serious" lessons....meaning, on a regular basis.  I also do a lot of chipping and 20-40 yard pitch shots in my back yard.

When I go the range, I start at the chipping/pitching green with my 60 wedge until I feel comfortable.  These are 10-30 yard shots.  I then take my 56 wedge, 7 iron and 4 wood to the hitting area.  I will start with my wedge and work down and hit as many balls as I feel comfortable with that club.  I'll finish with 5-10 wedge shots.  Then I go to the putting range.  I probably putt around 100 strokes.  All of this is on days I practice, which at this point in time occurs once every 2 weeks and is about 75-90 minutes.  I do an abbreviated version, 30 minutes, on day I play.

All of this has helped tremendously.  My biggest weakness is my putting.  It's hard to post a sub-80 score when you leaving yourself 8-10 foot putts for par.  Or, I turn the 10 foot putt for par into an 8 foot putt for bogey  :angry:

Frank

Practice? A guy I know who professes to be a great golfer once said,

The best 9 holes I ever played, I was fryin' on Acid. Peace my friends.

Seriously. Why practice when psychedelics can improve your game! LOL

My practice is usually 45 mins before I tee off.  I have trouble finding time to hit the range during the week.  I typically only get to practice 1-2 times a month.

I always start with my 55* wedge and hit about 15-20 balls.  Then I go to a longer iron and hit 15-20 balls, then a driver for about 10 balls.  I finish up on the putting green for about 10 mins before I tee off.

ilikefishes said:
I resemble that statement. :laugh: :p :D

But how do you practice?

Seems to be a no brainer - I completely avoid psychadelics.  WAY to dangerous to be dropping acid (both for the golf game and otherwise).  Fortunately I won't be equating my best golf game to being under the influence of acid.  Way too Hunter Thompson for my liking...

Me, personally?  Cigars and Scotch is as far as I'll go.  Warms me right up for a great game.  ;)

I enjoy my golf game - I don't obssess with it...  :thumbs:

But how do you practice?

Seems to be a no brainer - I completely avoid psychadelics.  WAY to dangerous to be dropping acid (both for the golf game and otherwise).  Fortunately I won't be equating my best golf game to being under the influence of acid.  Way too Hunter Thompson for my liking...

Me, personally?  Cigars and Scotch is as far as I'll go.  Warms me right up for a great game.  ;)

Hmmm, I you were a player. With a very detailed practice routine to boot.

ilikefishes said:

But how do you practice?

Hmmm, I you were a player. With a very detailed practice routine to boot.

Now where would you ever get that idea, hog... 

errr...  :blush:

I mean Kendall.