• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Workman's Comp-Ugh!

britishfields

@jfields wife :-)
If its not bad enough that your injured and can't work your full duties, your then penalized and lose all of your paid annual leave/vacation pay to make up any difference in your pay check while your out. When you return to work your unable to have a holiday because....you have no vacation time! Does this make sense to any one else? Am I therefore being punished for having a work injury? Not to mention I haven't received a full paycheck since January and have yet to receive reimbursement! Hmm! Not feeling loved by my employer today  :(

Wow...........that sure doesn't sound right.  Who is your Company's insurer?

They're self insured! Go figure, and my case manager is an employee just like me!

Thank you! Me too! Gotta look at the bright side, I get to spend more time with my hubbie, jfields! What more could I ask for :0)

I thought your case manager had to be from a non-biased company, not part of the company you work for? How is she supposed to be impartial and advocate for the patient if she is to also keep her job in mind and the companies interests in mind...

Thats what I thought, but what am I supposed to do? As of right now, I have been told to stay home until they can find work for me that accommodates the Doctors limitations and of course thats without pay, as workman's comp doesn't reimburse you in real time. The current note is for 7 more weeks. 

I suppose I shall just sit back and do as Im told like a good girl. I like my job and don't want to lose it, so therefore I can't really make any more waves than I already have.

You should be able to get a copy of the coverages etc. from your company.  And since you are stuck at home for 7 weeks, that will give you the opportunity to study it and hopefully get some answers.  I know how you feel about rocking the boat.  Sure is an ugly dilemma.  Good luck!

With no short or long term disability...that sucks.
If it's a workers comp issue...you should see the states workmans compensation board for details on how to handle this.

Sorry to say it...you may need to get an attorney, unless the board will assist.

http://www.vwc.state.va.us/portal/vwc-website

They may be self insured for short term disability (as mine is)....but they have to pay into workers compensation.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+65.2-600

There is also OSHA paperwork that may need to be filed (depending on the company size and type of business)

Edit - if they told you to stay home while they find work...get that in writing! You may be able to collect unemployment.

Wow! Thank you broblues and grateful1 terrific information! I will definitely check on that. I am expecting a phone call this afternoon to see what the verdict is on whether they have found a suitable position for me.... we shall see what comes of it! Interesting thought about unemployment! I actually considered the prospect of looking for part time work that was within the restrictions, however, I guarantee you thats not allowed! Thank you for your advice boys  :D

Indeed, good advice given. Please, if you think this is going to be something that will decrease your quality of life, long term, or something that you will need continued medical help for years to come, get a good lawyer, and go after them for those LONG TERM expenditures.

Check to see if you can bill insurance for your miles commuting back and forth to appointments.

I hope that you heal fast, and totally.

Thanks! I have a log for mileage. I am a bit concerned about the injury as its a torn ligament/tendon in my wrist...not good for dealing with lifting patients in a hospital! Im hoping it will heal. We are already behind the 8 ball as it should have healed by now, but...the limitations weren't being adhered to by the company that were set forth by the physician. We shall see what happens next. Im supposed to find out tomorrow what the next step is as far as work accommodations go!

Yeah, they'll try to wear you down, and make you throw in the towel. Show them your mettle!

Don't count on them to have your best interests at heart. I hate to say it as well, but, lawyer up. Workers comp stuff is ugly to deal with.

Good advice coming in here.
It is corporate behavior like this that has led to collective bargaining for hundreds of years. Perseverance furthers!

Okay! Sooo... I spoke with the Workers comp comm this morning, to no avail! They put me in touch with the Dept of Labour, who doesn't touch...Labour! Go Figure  :angry:  So I was then referred to my attorney $$$ That's alright, I'm a big girl, I've got this! I contacted the "3rd party" company who is handling my claim and explained the situation and told them I was "lining up my ducks" as things weren't progressing as they should. Apparently he is working on my concerns and will contact me this afternoon..Hmmm! Wot doz that mean? Dunno? (sorry in comes the British slang..LOL) Is it too early for a beverage??? 

Can you file for unemployment....if they are not paying you...and they have no work...then you are laid off!?

Good luck with this BS!