• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Yet another change in the Warranty Seal

Ginseng

Banned
For some time now, I've been monitoring and documenting the changes that have occurred in the Cuban Warranty Seal. Here's one thread comparing an authentic specimen with a counterfeit. And here was my most recent look at the UV coat of arms in relation to a change in the paper stock.

And now, I believe we're seeing the first major printing related overhaul to the seal since it came out circa 2000. The microprinting is one feature that I scrutinize when attempting to determine the authenticity of a suspect box. There are many different approaches taken by counterfeiters when duplicating the seal and often, if the rest of the seal is well done, the microprinting is the only feature that is diagnostic. The static cigar information website Cigarnexus has a nice primer on the latest generation warranty seal.

One truth about printing plates is that they wear out. Specimens from 2000 and 2001 show micropinting that is crisp and clear. Over the years, however, the plates have suffered heavy wear. The plates used to apply the microprinting seem to have suffered the most. Recent specimens show areas where the microprinting is almost completely obliterated. At best, the quality is visibly degraded (under a 10X magnifier). Curiously, I have boxes of fakes where the microprinting is actually far better than on authentic specimens.

And that brings us to what appears to be a response to the severe decline in quality of the microprinting. In the following image, you'll see high resolution captures of portions of the microprinting on the 2000-later era seal and the new revision. The scan was taken at 1,200 dpi and rescaled for the web with only slight sharpening and level correction applied.

Immediately obvious is the new microprinting. The only change appears to be in the size of the font which is now about 3.5x that of the old print and of course it's much clearer. I've compared key landmarks across the entire seal and in all other respects, the two generations of seals are identical. The date code of the box is AGO for August, the latest month of production I've personally inspected. In July and months prior, the old microprinting was in force although there is likely some slop in the actual period of transition.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...alComparo01.jpg)

Wilkey

Hey Wilkey.

I'll be in Cuba in 3 weeks and if you would like high res photos (a friend has a 10 meg SLR) or a scan of the warranty seals on what I bring back, with corresponding box date codes, LMK and I'll hook you up.

If you have any special requests (for some reason) of particular brands or vitolas, PM me within the next 2 weeks and I'll see what I can do while I'm down there. My camera is only 5 meg, but I'll try

I would highly doubt if and shop would allow me to take shots of something I'm not buying, but I'm sure I'll see 1 or 2 boxes sold besides what I buy!!!! :D

Jim

Jim,

That would be brilliant! I couldn't do the work I do without the assistance of very helpful fellow cigar smokers like yourself.

I'll send a PM your way in the next few days.

Wilkey

Jim,

That would be brilliant! I couldn't do the work I do without the assistance of very helpful fellow cigar smokers like yourself.

I'll send a PM your way in the next few days.

Wilkey

Thanks for the update Wilkey! It's always good to know we have an excellent individual on the boards that we can count on for legit and quality information regarding Cubans.

When do you think it was changed specifically? Months or serial numbers?

Also notice that the bottom print is no longer the string of repeating words, checkout CUBAIAREP

I have two boxes both TEB Jul 08 (different marcas) with the new style. Also MAS FEB 08 with the new. Other 08 boxes with the old.