• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Yikes! Beetles?

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
So I've been rotating cigars out of the humidor(s) into a ziploc with a Boveda 62 on a rolling basis, to leave for a couple of days before smoking. Today's plan was a LFD Double Ligero Chiselita. Pulled it out and found this -

20210322_180911 -3.jpg

I didn't notice this when I put it in the "dry bag", but I suppose it could have been there. Could it be anything else? I took the rest of them and isolated them from everything else (in a ziploc with a 69) and put this one in its own ziploc. Figured I'd watch it for a few days. None of the others have any obvious issues. Wondering if I should put the rest in the freezer?

Thanks for responding, Bill. Trying to decide if I should leave the rest of these aside and watch them, or freeze them. None of my humidors have gotten above 70F that I'm aware of, all around 67-69RH (I watch them carefully via Govee units). These were in one with a bunch of moderately pricey (for me) cigars... a little worried about the others...

Thanks for responding, Bill. Trying to decide if I should leave the rest of these aside and watch them, or freeze them. None of my humidors have gotten above 70F that I'm aware of, all around 67-69RH (I watch them carefully via Govee units). These were in one with a bunch of moderately pricey (for me) cigars... a little worried about the others...

You could try freezing the rest, but anecdotal research, etc. might tell you that regular residential freezers don't get cold enough to actually kill the larvae or the eggs. Can't hurt to try though, just make sure you step the temperature down (fridge first then freezer) and back up. Worst that happens is you have some cold cigars.

Definitely isolate them for sure.

Thanks, guys. So, if they're already hatched, freezing won't kill them?

Well I hope they enjoy the god damn cigar, I sure would have. :(

I think I'll just keep the rest isolated for now and watch them, and keep a close eye on everything else in that humi. Dangit. I'm tempted to smoke the thing, just to make their obnoxious little lives miserable...

Thanks, guys. So, if they're already hatched, freezing won't kill them?

Well I hope they enjoy the god damn cigar, I sure would have. :(

I think I'll just keep the rest isolated for now and watch them, and keep a close eye on everything else in that humi. Dangit. I'm tempted to smoke the thing, just to make their obnoxious little lives miserable...
Freezing will kill them... just not their eggs or larvae ... But, you won't notice that tiny stuff when you smoke them...

I literally just went through six humidors (one TEC unit and 5 desktops) and checked every cigar. No other holes! So far. I'm gonna check again in a couple of days. And watch the tainted LFD and wait for some of the little bastards to come out, then take them outside in the sun with a magnifying glass. Like we used to do red ants down south when I was six. They'll learn not to mess with me! Ah, getting old, it's like getting young again!

I was thinking Norwegian Wood, with a hint of Strawberry Fields, and a little Sgt. Pepper on the retro.