• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban to smoke right away

pback

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this topic has been addressed in the past; if so my search skills need improving.

I know pretty much all cigars get better with age, and I've read that this or that cigar is best after 4 or 5 or 10 years in the humidor. Can anyone suggest a few that, if perhaps not ideal, are good right away?

Thanks for any help.

RASS or Partagas Shorts are usually good.
X2

Boli Royal Coronas with a year, RASCC, and San Cristobal El Principi

Ultimately, Rob had the correct answer. But in the meantime, have fun! :thumbs:

I always like Monte #2s....my go to stick

Like Monte 4's, PLPCs, RyJ Romeo #2 (A/T), and P Shorts as well. All smoke good early for me at least. I define early as 08-2010 sticks though...would just age if you can do it...but to answer your question...those are my favorites.

D4 within 6 mo
And outside of 6 mo? I'm curious, I had picked up a box a while back and they seemed to be smoking pretty good right off, but after a while they were...well, not smoking as good, for lack of a better description. I haven't had any CC long enough to really see what a well aged one is like, so I'm still feeling my way along in that regard.

The aged ones.

Listen to Rob, he knows best.

I personally don't like most CC's fresh. or < 2 years of age. If you insist on smoking them fresh, grab the smaller gars like Party shorts, Monte no. 5s, Diplo no. 5., SC El P's or really nothing larger than a pitit corona imho. I personally would just pay a premium for aged smokes that you really can enjoy now. (they are that much better)

Jason

I have a dumb question along the same lines - when you talk about aged cigars are you talking about the age since production - or do you only factor in the time that the cigars are physically in your hands. For example would you consider a newly purchased box stamped August 2010 to have 10 mos of age or not to be aged at all?

I have a dumb question along the same lines - when you talk about aged cigars are you talking about the age since production - or do you only factor in the time that the cigars are physically in your hands. For example would you consider a newly purchased box stamped August 2010 to have 10 mos of age or not to be aged at all?

I go by box code :thumbs: using your example of 10 months, the box would still be considered fresh (not even 1 year old yet). Heck I consider anything 2 years and newer fresh, but that's just my own opinion.

Jason

Age since production. Everyone has valid points in this thread. I've tasted great PSD4's received shortly after production. But it's been a few years since I've experienced this. This is generally due with the maturation of the leaf and the effect of ammonia during the process.

Fact is the binders, fillers and wrappers associated with Cuban cigars aren't aged as long as finer Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars. This means that Cuban cigars might taste good off the table or something close thereto, but Cuban cigars are not nearly as "ready to smoke" as their near land contemporaries. Whether this limits the "ageability" of Nicaraguan or Dominican cigars is a point of constant debate. It appears the Fuente's have figured out the right mix with certain of their cigars (Opus to my limited experience with their brands). But there are many better suited folks here to discuss Fuente , Padron, etc.

That sounds like a lot of good suggestions. I better get to work...

Thanks for all the help.

Either within a month of being rolled or 2 years later is my rule for anything larger than a petite corona.

Most fresh Cohiba siglo I and siglo II I've had tasted good fresh... YMMV

D4 within 6 mo
And outside of 6 mo? I'm curious, I had picked up a box a while back and they seemed to be smoking pretty good right off, but after a while they were...well, not smoking as good, for lack of a better description. I haven't had any CC long enough to really see what a well aged one is like, so I'm still feeling my way along in that regard.

The ones that are "not smoking as good" are probably in a sick period. Put them away for a year, forget about them, and go back.

Here is a rule of thumb I always went by, thinner, smaller and wrapper to filler ratio's. If the cigar is thinner and has a larger wrapper to filler ratio the cigar will not need as much time to taste good. Cigars that have a large percentage of filler need a lot of time for the tobacco to marry. Petite corona's, corona's, lanceros, petite lancero's and lonsdales need much less time than robusto's, corona gorda's and churchill's to taste good.. I have always been a fan of thinner cigars because of the wrapper to filler ratio and the fact they do not need as much age.

i think they all smoke well as long as they are properly humidified.

of course, aged ones do express different characteristics than young ones, but i think most of the complaints come from smoking one while its too dry.

i think they all smoke well as long as they are properly humidified.

of course, aged ones do express different characteristics than young ones, but i think most of the complaints come from smoking one while its too dry.

I have actually found that CCs smoke better on the dry side than NCs. I find that the flavors are more prounounced and less muted. The aroma is oh so much better too.

One of the few freshies I like are Partagas Series P#2's.

I agree with you when it comes to satisfy your taste buds its nothing better than some puffs of Cuban cigar. But is it advisable to go for some online options that provide Cuban cigars on discount rates.
Discount cigars