• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Acid Cigars, Good or Bad?

CavemanDaPirate

I know its not as simple of a question as that, but whats your take on acid cigars? or any other types of flavored cigars?

I was smoking them when I first started getting into cigars. I have since gotten away from them all together, as I prefer a cigar that isn't "flavored".

I can't stand the flavor of Acid, or some of the other "flavored" cigars out there now.

There is an often repeated mantra here; Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Our collective opinion of them shouldn't affect your opinion on them though. Having said that, when someone around me lights up an Acid or flavored cigar it really puts a damper on my enjoyment of the cigar I'm having.

Not a fan of flavored smokes as there is enough variety in the flavors you can get from regular premium tobacco. Smoke what you like, though.

I've had a number of the Acid's, and as of right now there are only two that I actually like, the Opulence 3 and the Natural by Drew Estate. Some of them are just "too" flavored, for example, the Acid Liquid, which reminded me of popuri in smell and taste, not good.

I found the Kuba Kuba I tried to be vomit inducing. But, if you like them... smoke them!

I found the Kuba Kuba I tried to be vomit inducing. But, if you like them... smoke them!

Bwahaha. My first cigar was an Acid Kuba Kuba. Personally I started out with the Acid cigars and a number of infused cigars. Since then my tastes have grown and they no longer appeal to me.

Are all Acids flavored? I've never tried one but I assumed there had to be some merit to them, coming from Jonathon Drew and all.

I smoked 'em when I didn't know any better. Now that I know better, I wouldn't touch one.

The best way I can put this - there's a reason why Acid's are infused with things other than tobacco. I honestly don't think the cigar would be mediocre at best if they did not do that.

If you're going to smoke them, I make two suggestions:

1. Don't store them in your humidor - they will definitely ruin anything else that's in there, and will certainly leave a lasting reminder they were there.
  2. Don't smoke them around other cigar smokers that are serious about cigar smoking - you will be the focus of attention in a room full of smokers. In my shop, they will physically carry you out of the door.

Are all Acids flavored? I've never tried one but I assumed there had to be some merit to them, coming from Jonathon Drew and all.

I don't believe any "Acid" is not "flavored" (infused), though the "Gold" line seems to be least infused. I've not tried the new Acid One - so not sure if that's infused or not...

I, sadly, used inverse reasoning with this. For a long time I wrote of anything from Jonathan Drew and Drew Estate because of the Acid line. Online I'd just click past it, or in catalogs (CI, naturally), I'd just flip the page and not even give it a second look. I figured that if a maker could produce something as vile as Acids, that they weren't going to have anything to offer that I'd find appealing. I have not had anything further from Jonathan Drew or Drew Estate, but apparently I am wrong in this matter and there are a few fine cigars coming from that way.

Yeah I think its all just a matter of preference, of the few acids I like, the Kuba Kuba is certainly one of them. But some are rather strong on the flavor, I agree.

Yeah I think its all just a matter of preference, of the few acids I like, the Kuba Kuba is certainly one of them. But some are rather strong on the flavor, I agree.

The Kuba Kuba reminds me of my old garage band practice back in high school. I'll leave it at that... Not what I really want in my cigar experience. Perhaps it was just bad memories. :whistling:

I used to smoke Acids, that's how I started. I've since been shown other cigars that I feel are way way better!

As far as offerings from Drew, look into his Liga Privada line.

Never smoked an Acid, I don't think I ever will. I'm just not into the aroma they put out when burning...

...so, as has been said, "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" is the bottom line. Period. If you like them, enjoy.

Having said, that, this is probably analogous to asking a bunch of wine enthusiasts what they think of wine coolers. They want to taste the fermented grape and admire it's complexity, not taste the soda pop it was mixed with. Same for cigars; I want to taste the differences between the wrappers, enjoy the subtle differences in the various cigars I smoke, not be pummeled with tuti-fruti overwhelming perfume. I want to taste the tobacco, not the watermelon flavoring that's been pumped into the cigar.

Now, the guys at Drew Estate know damn well how to make a fantastic cigar; any of the Liga Privada line will convince you of that. Not a question of quality, rather a question of augmenting the natural flavors of the leaf. I don't care for it....at all. However, I've asked a couple of friends of mine that own or work at B&M's and to my amazement, they sell piles of Acid's. At the end of the day, Acid's probably entice folks into smoking quality cigars. That's pretty cool, actually.

One man's opinion....B.B.S.

Acids introduce lots of new people to cigar-smoking, and for that I'm grateful. But yeah, they're gross. A few years back I smoked a Kuba Kuba and it tasted like patchouli. I told my wife that it was like smoking a hippy. The wife enjoys flavored cigars, but tends towards the CAO Flavours or Drew Estate and Rocky Patel's Java line. If you like flavored cigars, try CI's Drew Estate Copper Label as my wife loves those too.
Drew Estate puts out a number of worthwhile brands though. For mixed-filler, La Vieja Habana's aren't bad, and the Chateau Real I found to be extremely mild, but pleasant enough. LP#9's are one of the better tasting maduros to a guy that doesn't really like maduros. I still haven't smoked the T52, but I want to. I guess he now has the MF13 and L40 out now as well.

Acids introduce lots of new people to cigar-smoking, and for that I'm grateful. But yeah, they're gross. A few years back I smoked a Kuba Kuba and it tasted like patchouli. I told my wife that it was like smoking a hippy. The wife enjoys flavored cigars, but tends towards the CAO Flavours or Drew Estate and Rocky Patel's Java line. If you like flavored cigars, try CI's Drew Estate Copper Label as my wife loves those too.
Drew Estate puts out a number of worthwhile brands though. For mixed-filler, La Vieja Habana's aren't bad, and the Chateau Real I found to be extremely mild, but pleasant enough. LP#9's are one of the better tasting maduros to a guy that doesn't really like maduros. I still haven't smoked the T52, but I want to. I guess he now has the MF13 and L40 out now as well.

I agree with this, being new to cigars, the flavored cigars got me interested because my thought process was "how many flavors can there be to tobacco by itself?" Now that I've experienced multiple traditional cigars, I am gradually being drawn away from the flavored stuff to the traditional stuff, just smoked a Alec Bradley Tempo a minute ago for example, could taste the spice among other flavors, I can now understand why people pull away from the flavored stuff into the traditional cigars, there really are THAT many flavors out there to find, try, and love. :thumbs: