• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New Pass Concept (Accepting participates now)

Sweetrice80

Deaf Mofo
Okay, I am now accepting participates, instead of creating a new thread, I figure I would use this one but make my original post smaller so it doesn't look like a harry potter novel. Rules are below:

1.) I will accept as many participates as until Sunday Night on 9/25/11. Half of the participates must be in good standing for more than 2+ years, the other half must be in good standings for 4 to 23 months. I am not big on post counts, but if you have only one post in the last 12 months or something similar to that I will decline your invite.

2.) once you figure out if you are eligible, send me a PM titled "DRAFT PASS" stating you want in.

3.) Once accepted, please message me your 5 sticks between $8-$15 MSRP for each cigar. Please try your best to stay within that range. Also in that same message, send me your mailing address.

3.) I will then update this with all of the participates CP handle, their sticks and draft order.

4.) Once all of the above is completed I will send out an PM to all participates notifying you that the draft has started. Please try your best not to hold up the draft, if you are going to be away from the computer for a long time, or out of town either let me know or do not participate this time. (For the stake of this being new we will do one round with 1 5er per participate. Possibly if this goes successfully we can have 2 or 3 rounds with each participate putting together a 3er.)

5.) Once the 1 round draft is completed, I will gather the results and send everyone a PM on the address to send your 5er to. Once that happens, I am giving everyone 5 business days, to post the DC # on the thread so that everyone is aware of who is sending their package and who is not. ( I will announce this again when the time comes)

There may be some flaws to this, but I assure everyone that the worst case would be that one person gets their own package (Saves packing cost :laugh: ). If problems arise, we will talk about it then go from there. I hope that we can continue this for many times to come.

Posting this at the top (from post 22), a decision that needs to be decided in this tread.
(Hey everyone thanks for your PM's I will be getting to them soon. It has been brought to my attention by several people on possibly doing two rounds. 1st round being a 5er and 2nd round being a 3er. Snake order A-B-C-D-E-E-D-C-B-A. I am okay with this. Another suggestion I thought about doing was, have everyone send me an PM (when ready) their 8 sticks and I will package them together. This way there the 3er packages are good enough to make up for the last person picking in the first round, it assures him that they will be getting a decent 3er. What I don't want happening is people submitting their sticks where their 5er is full of all of the "good stuff" while the 3er they submit is lacking the "good stuff"Is this clear? let me know what you think.David )

Hello all,
I had this idea for the past few days on a new Pass Concept. It will need some modifications, and hopefully people can chime in on their opinions and views. If it ends up being a bad idea then I have no problem scraping this. But I thought this would be a fun way to get people to know each other better as well to smoke some cigars they may have never tried. Because we all know their are so many cigars out there and the odds are many of us do not have the luxury to smoke all of them. Below is my idea, remember this is just an creative idea, I am willing to make changes.
This idea came to mind while doing a football fantasy draft. First we would establish some participates, for the time being I think we should start with 10 people. 5 members being long time members (2-3+ years) and 5 being members who are new but are active enough (6-23 months 50 + post). Each participate sends me ( or the facilitator) through PM, their address and 5 sticks ($8-$15 MSRP). Because of shipping cost there is no easy way to pick and match individual cigars. Because if participate A wants a cigar from B, C, D, E and F that would mean that each participate would have to send 5 different boxes with one cigar to 5 different people. That is not wise. So I thought that we would draft for participates 5 cigars that they submitted. Example, participate A wants participate B cigars, and participate C wants Participate A cigars. This means B will send his 5 cigars to A, while C will send his/her cigars to A. This way each participate is only sending out one box of five cigars to one participate.
The way the draft will work is, by randomization. I will use a online random generator to see who gets picks first, second, third and so on. Some of you may think well that doesn't seem fair to the person who picks last. I envision this that those players who are newer will not have had the kind of cigars as long time members have tried. so I thought that the draft should go back and forth between newer members and long time members. example: A, B, C, D and E are long time members while F,G,H,I and J are newer members an possible draft order would be like this: A,G,C,H,D,F,B,J,E,I. So even though 'I' is last and has his package by default, since its a newer member odds are he/she may have not tried at least 1 or 2 cigars in the last package.
To ensure the integrity of this, I will ask all those to PM me their cigars first for my approval (Facilitator) (will ask for feedback on items I am unsure with). As well as making sure each package is being send and delivered to each participate.
I hope that this will be a fun way for people to interact with each other, get to know some of the newer members, and build a friendship among everyone that will be lasting and fun. As well as those to try out some cigars they may or may not have access to.
Once/If this gets started, I will edit the rules to make them much more clear and straight forward, but right now I am in the creative mode.

Let me know what you guys think.

David

So the idea is that the cigars are known and you go in order and "draft" the cigar you want? Then once all of the cigars are divided up, the facilitator would send out the packages? Or am I misunderstanding?

This almost sounds like a "bulk" blind 5er type of thing. but I could just reading it wrong.

I do like the idea though.

So the idea is that the cigars are known and you go in order and "draft" the cigar you want? Then once all of the cigars are divided up, the facilitator would send out the packages? Or am I misunderstanding?

Person A would send a "blind" 5er (but the facilitator would know the sticks) to the person that was drafted for them. Rinse, wash, repeat for the rest of the pass.

We could do a blind 5er, but I was thinking more along the lines that, once I (the Facilitator) approves of all the sticks to be. I will then post those sticks as packages, so the participate that is drafting will know what the sticks are and can draft the 5er they want.

To be clear, the facilitator will never have the sticks on hand, once the draft is completed, each participate will send their 5er to those who selected their package.

The concept is much like this one http://www.cigarpass...22&fromsearch=1
But the difference less burden on the host. The host will never physically receive the cigars, which will reduce the shipping, sorting, deadlines, over all headache the host may deal with. It will allow everything to go faster so that more people can join once the first draft is completed. Drafting a 5er vs individual cigars allows the participates to send their cigars directly to the person who drafted their cigars. Rather than drafting individual cigars in which the participates must send their cigars to the host, the host will conduct a draft, then once everyone makes their picks, the host then packages together each participates selections, and boxes them up and ships them again. Saves money and time if we draft 5ers.

David

Okay, so a one round 5er draft. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work if you can find interested parties.

Then this becomes a 1 to 1 deal.

The Cigar Draft is 1 to many.

This is more along the lines of what I was trying to say, I just didn't word correctly.

It seems like the idea of the draft pass (that Phil did) is to allow you to pass with up to 5 other people (you put up five sticks and get to pick 5 other sticks), where with this pass you will only interface with one other member (you send your "draft pick" a 5er, then you get a fiver from the person that drafted you). Thus the reason I was saying it was like a "bulk" blind fiver.

I like the idea and would participate if allowed.

Edit for clarification

Participant puts up 5x5 sticks (different packages)...crap...that would be a LOT of sticks to look at with say 10 folks.

Then you would draft a 5r...and everyone gets 5 picks.

Great idea for a us newbs. Gets us out looking for interesting or regional stuff, and the rules are simple and clear.

A more complicated(and expensive) version could have "rounds", in descending price ranges(1st round 5ers would be premiums, etc).

I like the idea but I don't see how to eliminate this possibility...

Participant --------- Draft
A -------------------- C
B -------------------- D
C ------------------- B
D ------------------- F
E ------------------- G
F ------------------- H
G ------------------- E
H -------------------- A
I --------------------- I

The first 9 can be rearranged in may ways still leaving the last participant with his own package. Extending the number of participants may minimize the possibility but it still exists. I do like the simplicity of the idea and would be happy to participate if you can figure out a way around this potential outcome.

Edit: I guess I needed to insert the table as an image but you get the idea. ???

A C
B D
C E
D F
E G
F H
G I
H A
I B

The problem you see was also in the Cigar Draft IIRC...and you just live with it.

Hey, if no one wants your stick, you get to play with yourself !

A C
B D
C E
D F
E G
F H
G I
H A
I B

The problem you see was also in the Cigar Draft IIRC...and you just live with it.

I see your point. If you put in all crappy sticks no one will want to draft your puts but if you aren't the last person to draft then who ever is gets your CI specials. :D

ETA: But I would expect the facilitator to make sure that most packages are about equal. So maybe have a range of stick values between $8 and $15.

A C
B D
C E
D F
E G
F H
G I
H A
I B

I see your point. If you put in all crappy sticks no one will want to draft your puts but if you aren't the last person to draft then who ever is gets your CI specials. :D

ETA: But I would expect the facilitator to make sure that most packages are about equal. So maybe have a range of stick values between $8 and $15.
Cigar draft ordered 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1.(I'm not touching the 'packages' one...no sir!)

A C
B D
C E
D F
E G
F H
G I
H A
I B

Thats what I was thinking, hopefully this wont happen but it can happen. I made the rules clearer and accepting participates now, per the first post edit.

David

With only one package, draft order is all-important. The first drafter will love this, the last will not. Do two packages with a serpentine order (ABCDEEDCBA), and everyone should be relatively happy.