• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CA Top 25 Cigars of the Year

I've always felt that if those "official" testers had to pay for the cigars they rate, and the manufacturers didn't schmooze them, the choices would be far more accurate.

This is what I was thinking! How are they getting the first 700 cigars to taste. Are they receiving 700 boxes of cigars and each one has a love letter attached to it. Maybe Padron doesn't send them their smokes and this then keeps them off the list. Seems alittle strange to me that there are so many great smokes out there that have been around for years that never make the list.

Paul

Says right there in the blue paragraph: "Our tasting coordinator went to cigar shops and bought the cigars once again."

The blue paragraph may be accurate, but I believe the advertisers for CA and CI have a lot of leverage with the periodicals.

I've always felt that if those "official" testers had to pay for the cigars they rate, and the manufacturers didn't schmooze them, the choices would be far more accurate.

This is what I was thinking! How are they getting the first 700 cigars to taste. Are they receiving 700 boxes of cigars and each one has a love letter attached to it. Maybe Padron doesn't send them their smokes and this then keeps them off the list. Seems alittle strange to me that there are so many great smokes out there that have been around for years that never make the list.

Paul

Says right there in the blue paragraph: "Our tasting coordinator went to cigar shops and bought the cigars once again."

The blue paragraph may be accurate, but I believe the advertisers for CA and CI have a lot of leverage with the periodicals.

Believe and have evidence of are 2 different things. Just saying.

I'm actually wondering something about long-time production lines. I think it's pretty well know that Padron's are very consistent from box to box and year to year but even if they have the same plot of land and the same seeds, variations by year are still going to come out. Or if they decided to just make a huge stockpile of leaves for a single line, they would still continue to ferment in storage each year. So how do they maintain that kind of consistency and is it genuinely consistent or is there just slight taste drift that we don't notice from year to year and comparing older sticks is impossible because they age too?

The Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill won First Place....anyone smoke one of these?

The Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill won First Place....anyone smoke one of these?

I think it's his best smoke. I also think they're a bit overpriced, but then again, most cigars are overpriced. Sales on these slowed down quite a bit several months ago....until today.

I"ve got em.
Will you be doing 5ers and boxes?

Just call him Gary it's not like you don't know the number! :laugh:

LOL! Got both. How bout that call last night, Jayro?

That was actually pretty funny. I could swear Lindsay thought you were smoking something funny in your cigars. :p
...he was ;)

You're in FL, Gary? :0

I"ve got em.

That was actually pretty funny. I could swear Lindsay thought you were smoking something funny in your cigars. :p
...he was ;)

In Spirit only!

I"ve got em.

...he was ;)

I wish he was in FL...

I"ve got em.

...he was ;)

I wish he was in FL...

Ah, you guys are so cute! :D

I"ve got em.

...he was ;)

I wish he was in FL...

Ah, you guys are so cute! :D
can you say Bromance! " in Boris voice" lol

700 cigars multiplied by the number of testers, yeah.

I don't put a lot of stock into their top 25, but if so many are so outraged by it, to the point of looking for the conspiracy theory, why even care? I remember when I first started getting serious about cigars, one of the things I did was take one of their Top 25 lists and try out as many of the smokes on it I could. Isy says it's getting people in his store to move product that hasn't moved. Do you think the Padrons are taking a hit because the Exclusivo is only #5? I don't.

They may have to close their doors.

Anybody else notice that two of the last three weekly poll questions on CA's website were asking about do you get influenced to buy by our top 25 list? I mean come on, no offense, I think AB makes some great sticks, but #1? The articles throughout the year can be interesting at times, however the 25 list really holds no weight IMHO, Have I ever purchased some of the sticks? Yes, but I didn't go out and try to find them at all costs, right now, because if I didn't have them I would stop breathing. No.

C