• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drew Estate / RP Java Toro Maduro

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Drew Estate / Rocky Patel Java Toro Maduro

Filler: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Maduro
Length: 6"
Ring: 50 - square pressed

"While aging, these cigars have been slowly infused with the delicious flavor of gourmet mocha, morphing a traditional Nicaraguan cigar into a incredibly rich cigar filled with hints of mocha that smokes smooth from start to finish, leaving an extremely pleasant aroma in its wake..." - CI

I had one of these gifted to me by a friend (who is a fan of Rocky Patel cigars in the toro vitola), and I have to admit I was actually looking forward to trying it. I know JD roams the boards, so I'll be as proper as possible... I'm just not a fan of Acid cigars, and my Kuba Kuba experience made me too-hastily write off anything from Drew Estate. I now know of the Liga Privada line, and seeing the Java in my CI bathroom material had me curious.

I believe the cigar has been in my buddy's humidor for about a year, and I had it in mine for roughly one month. I had it dry boxing for the last two days, or so, before lighting it up today. Weather outside was mid-40's, gray, breezy and just shy of miserable. I had a Diet A&W Root Beer.

I'm not a fan of box-pressed cigars, though I will admit that the wrapper was dark and beautiful, and the perfect square press had edges you could sharpen a pencil on. I'm not experienced enough to throw around quantitative ratings, but I will just say that the appearance was very inviting, and the DE folks know how to put a cigar together. After the initial aesthetic inspection, I noticed that the stick was spongy. It was evenly spongy from head to foot, but spongy none-the-less. Definitely the softest cigar I've ever felt up. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, but nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

When I got the cigar, I thought it smelled like church incense. Pre-light sniff was altogether different, however. It smelled of chocolate; rich, deep, dark chocolate. Not entirely unpleasant in the least. No coffee scents that I could pick up. After a messy clip of the cap with my aging and dulled guillotine cutter (I can't wait for my Xi to get here), I stepped outside and lit it up. The square end took easy, and a small wedge that didn't light initially quickly caught up. As I suspected it would be, the draw was very light and airy. This produced a good deal of smoke, and though it wasn't a razor crisp burn line, the cigar burned consistently with no major imperfections or other issues. As I also suspected, due to the spongy feel, the ash was held together loosely and flaked like crazy. It held on to the cigar for close to 2" (might have made it more, but I ashed it, myself, to keep from dropping all over me), though I would hesitate to call it "tight". As with the aesthetics, I was impressed with the burn and ease of smoke. Thumbs up here, too.

Now, for what everyone paid their admission for: the taste and flavor. I really didn't know what I was going to be getting into here, and I was fine with that. I expected some "unnatural" flavor, though I stopped short of expecting an artificial impression the way the Kuba Kuba struck me. First thing I can say, is Thank God this thing didn't taste like patchouli, too! From the first lit draws, it had a distinct taste of cocoa powder. That wasn't a bad thing, mind you. It was distinct, but not overpowering. There was still a strong tobacco taste behind it. If I had to describe it, I would say, "Cocoa up front, with a Rocky Patel Decade finish". Hey, it's my review and that's what I got out of it. I did not know what I was going to get, strength-wise, though I must say that I was a little surprised at the kick I got blowing the smoke through my nose. That aside, I guess I would have to drop it on the lower end of the "medium" shelf. No nicotine reactions whatsoever, and I even accidentally inhaled a little of it here and there.

This was a 6" cigar. I smoked probably 3.5" - 4" of it. Roughly 2/3s. The cocoa was not bad, but by that point it was just getting to be a little too much; a little overpowering. I felt like I just put a spoonful of Hershey's powdered cocoa in my mouth. Just a little too much of that flavor for too long. It was not a bad cigar, though I not once caught a hint of coffee. I was pleasantly surprised. I think that the 5" or 5.5" vitola would be a bit better suited for this cigar (for me, anyway). I don't think it's a cigar I'd smoke often, though I wouldn't be surprised if I pick up a few in the future just to have on hand if the mood strikes me. Overall, a good experience, and I got to try something new.

Nice review. While I'm not a fan of these, I know quite a few guys that are.

Great Review. I will from this point forward chuckle when I "feel up" a cigar.

My only question. Would you smoke it again? Keep one boxed for when you feel like something different?

I can see it happening. I'm not rushing to a B&M or online store right now, but if I'm putting in an order and I can get a fiver at a decent price, I probably would just to keep them on hand incase the mood strikes.

Nice review thanks, I saw in my JR Cigar ad I got last night they also have a "Java Mint". Have you happened across one of those?

Sounds like a dessert cigar after a hearty meal, may have to get a fiver to sit on for a while.

Having smoked a number of Javas in the past I have to agree that I don't really taste the coffee in this stick (for that get a Cafe Con Leche) but actually enjoyed the cigar quite a bit. Another you might like is the Tatiana Mocha. Its not something to smoke on a regular basis, but is great for a change once in awhile. Goes great with a bottle of Laguinita's Chocolate Stout. MMMmmmm...

I purchased a sampler pack about six months ago, I might have one or two strays laying around. They are good smoke if you don't mind the infused (flavoring).

Having smoked a number of Javas in the past I have to agree that I don't really taste the coffee in this stick (for that get a Cafe Con Leche) but actually enjoyed the cigar quite a bit. Another you might like is the Tatiana Mocha. Its not something to smoke on a regular basis, but is great for a change once in awhile. Goes great with a bottle of Laguinita's Chocolate Stout. MMMmmmm...

Another one you might try is the Tabak Especial from Drew Estates. The Dulce is light and smooth, while the Negro and the Red Eye are much more robust.

Maverick, you took the words right of my mouth. I have a box of the Takab Especial Negra, they are a hell-of-a smoke.

I actually enjoyed the Negras the least. I thought that for a richer, fuller smoke, the Red Eye was the better option. The Negras were still pretty good though.

Maverick, thanks for your insight, will have to try them.

CB, I have some Java Mint if you want them. To me, strong flavor profile on the coffee side, did not care for it. Sent two to a fellow brother and he ditched it after five puffs. PM me if you want to try them.

CB, I have some Java Mint if you want them. To me, strong flavor profile on the coffee side, did not care for it. Sent two to a fellow brother and he ditched it after five puffs. PM me if you want to try them.

I appreciate the offer very much, my local B&M actually had both the regular Java and the Mint in stock so I bought 2 of each and the wife and I will burn them together one night this spring.

Another one you might try is the Tabak Especial from Drew Estates. The Dulce is light and smooth, while the Negro and the Red Eye are much more robust.

Yes, both are excellent cigars, but the ulitimate is the Tabak Especial Limited Cafe Con Leche. The head and foot are composed of Connecticut Broadleaf maduro, while the center is wrapped in a light Connecticut leaf. Though quite sweet, it isn't overpowering. It was a favorite at CAV night while I was serving in Baghdad on VBC.

I enjoy one of these once in a while since the guy at Holts gave me one...and that was after Isy mentioned to me that he liked one in a certain size. I went upstairs and gave it a shot while sitting in Mahogs and it wasn't too bad. I then went back downstairs and bought 20 assorted including the Con Leche that cqb_guru just mentioned...I smoke them when I want something different and don't care if I pitch it once satisfied.

Nice mild coffee taste for an otherwise forgettable cigar....

PS: is it OK to store these with all my other cigars?

PS: is it OK to store these with all my other cigars?

I have mine in my secondary humidor which only has wrapped Cigars. (plus they aren't my good ones) I had one in there for over a year and I didn't notice any difference in the cigars, but my palate is very "green"

Unless you want to risk transfering some of the infused flavor to your puros you probably want to store them in a seperate humi.

Or just lick off all the flavoring prior to placing them in a humidor with plenty of beads...

Yes, both are excellent cigars, but the ulitimate is the Tabak Especial Limited Cafe Con Leche. The head and foot are composed of Connecticut Broadleaf maduro, while the center is wrapped in a light Connecticut leaf. Though quite sweet, it isn't overpowering. It was a favorite at CAV night while I was serving in Baghdad on VBC.

Forgot about that one. We had one of those in a sampler a couple months ago, and it was pretty damn tasty.

When were you at VBC?