• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Many cigars gone bad....big dilemma

Sent HA a PM, he seem sot not understand that the pics need to be hosted on a photo site, but I think I have him headed in the right direction.

Also, pointed out that many here have asked the right questions, and that he should do his best to offer the information.

His post is very convoluted and disorganized, but if English really is his 2nd or beyond language, he is doing a decent job, a far site better than some Americans that have been run off of here for not following forum protocol.

Also advised him that his cigars are problem a right off at this point.

Tim
Speaking of English as a second language... ??? You've been overseas too long Tim.

Seriously, stop drinking in the morning

If the effect is that quick, I'd recommend you place 3 cigars in the humidor with the beads and 3 in a humidor without (I'm guessing you're just using foam?). Make sure the cigars are from the same box and when you're confident the "off taste" is going to be there, smoke both at the same time. Have someone mark the cigars so that only they know which one came from which humidor. So far I've seen you compare different cigars and just to be sure it isn't your taste buds, this should do it.

Sent HA a PM, he seem sot not understand that the pics need to be hosted on a photo site, but I think I have him headed in the right direction.

Also, pointed out that many here have asked the right questions, and that he should do his best to offer the information.

His post is very convoluted and disorganized, but if English really is his 2nd or beyond language, he is doing a decent job, a far site better than some Americans that have been run off of here for not following forum protocol.

Tim
Speaking of English as a second language... ??? You've been overseas too long Tim.

Tim

Seriously, stop drinking in the morning

So it seems that you have caught me.....
sadly enough, I even thought I proofed it before I hit send

DAMN YOU BELGIUM BEER DAMN YOU TO Hello Chimay.....oh? You brought friends....yummy

Mit

Hello all.

Just mailed everything to Rod and he will be posting the photos of the effected cigars and boxes.

I would like to answer to all towards the comments made.and be more clear.

I am not ignorant in cigar maintenance and smoking....I have been smoking cigars daily for seventeen years and I learn and will be for ever.

When I learned about beads from reading I felt they must be great in RH control and they are...hands down the best.

I ordered a lot more than needed, as advised and I charged them with distilled water only.

I used sprayer bottle which I cleaned , examined,and operated away from the beads to check for proper spray.

I followed the directions to the T.

I humidified the beads in the containers provided by the maker properly.

After charging them by spraying I wiped them dry ,let them sit out for half hour and then placed them in the humidors with out being in contact with any of the cigars.

When I touched them to see if they were dry enough on the outside to go in the boxes I got a slick feeling on my hands that went away fast when I rinsed with plain water.

I adjusted my dividers in such a way to placed them away from direct contact on the sticks.

On the photos the cigars have being rearranged in the way they were before using the beads with crystals in round containers and humidipacks right on top of the cigars as you might see them inside Fuente boxes.

The reason I changed a problem free prior set up on these boxes was because I open them very often and naturally the RH was taking hours to come back.
With the beads the RH was recovering way faster.

I can only theorize why the cigars went bad but not sure but I know the bad taste is from the beads.
These beads have salt in them to adjust the RH to whatever you are using.
I think is true salt molecules can attach to water molecules and exist in the humidity they create so they can attach inside the cigars also.

If that is not the case and it is fresh silica or defective beads with loose silica dust or what ever else possible I would like to hear from anyone that might know how can it get in the humidity and inside the cigars.

I do have other cigars in other boxes and they have no issues and that helped know it was not me.

I want to say to some of you that feel I am full of it ,you should try to imagine you are in my situation and get a grip of what that feels like.

I want to thank all that have expressed support including Rod,MX and others that understand and I would appreciate it if everyone else that things this is some sort of a joke you are mistaken.

Any one with a back ground and detail knowledge on the make up of these beads that reads this and understands what is going on I would appreciate any ideas on how to save these if possible.

It feels like a knife in the HEART and please again instead of wanting to blame me for anything think first and offer help if want second.

I am done with the novels trying to transfer detail info to make this efficient and productive and I will look forward to better things to come.
It takes me a lot of time to write all this for a reason so the least I can ask do not start throwing comments that are answered already

I hope I will have every ones support....after all it involves many of you as it does me.

If the effect is that quick, I'd recommend you place 3 cigars in the humidor with the beads and 3 in a humidor without (I'm guessing you're just using foam?). Make sure the cigars are from the same box and when you're confident the "off taste" is going to be there, smoke both at the same time. Have someone mark the cigars so that only they know which one came from which humidor. So far I've seen you compare different cigars and just to be sure it isn't your taste buds, this should do it.

It took two months to get to where it is now.

I did it the other way around ,I stayed away from them a couple of days and smoked clean ones of the same make and type and then finish off with the bad ones.

The taste difference is so strong you do not even need to smoke them side by side.

As a matter of fact when you smoke one of the bad ones your taste buds are ruined unless you wait a day the effect too clear...it numbs your mouth and tongue mostly.

Thanks for trying for me I really appreciate it.

I do not know if it is the salt or new silica or what.

You didn't happen to season your humidor with salt water like this guy linky did you?

I wont bother look at the link .
No I did not and thanks for asking.....I know you do not know me yet.

This is me in ALL of HAs' threads:

You are not funny....

What are we still trying to accomplish here?
If you're trying to warn others of a danger from a product, name the exact product, and we'll have been duly warned.
If you want our condolences, you certainly have them. I know I too would be upset if part of my cigar collection went down the crapper.
If you're trying to figure out how to fix them, you probably can't. Here's my off the top of my head suggestion though: put them in a tupperdor with a humidification you know to be safe, and see if they improve over time. Boveda packs might be ideal so that you could throw them out frequently and switch new uncontaminated ones in. Over many repetitions you might flush some of the offending chemicals out.
If you did anything other than add distilled water at any point, I retract my condolences.

Thank you.

I am back to my previous set up which it is that and I will change them often ....they are cheap ......good idea since the cigars are worth a lot more.
I wonder if I should overhumidify them and then do that ,but then I am afraid to put them in my other humidors....there is enough of them.
I will buy stock in ziplog bags I gues.....

I don't believe HA is a troll. I do believe he has a sincere concern with his cigars. I'll post them shortly...

Here are the pictures.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9524]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9525]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9526]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9527]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9528]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9529]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9530]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9531]

HA - How do the Fuente cigars taste? The ones that still have the cellophane on... Do you detect any odd flavors on those?

HA - What city/state are you located in?

HA - How do the Fuente cigars taste? The ones that still have the cellophane on... Do you detect any odd flavors on those?

...and the tubos - do you detect any odd flavors on those?

What quantity of beads did you have in each humidor?

Rod

Amazingly enough the cigars in cellophane are effected as bad as the rest which shows humidity goes everywhere even in two months.
Even more strange is some of the naked ones are affected alittle less and those are the ones that are larger gauge and longer plus deeper in the boxes at the bottom(Churchill size)packed tight.
Short robustos and smaller cigars the worst
The Rothschild one of my daily morning go to are the worst for some reason maybe because they are light body and most delicate tastes in natural Cameroon. .

The taste effect is very strong.

I think you read what I wrote with the photos right?
I live in a ranch in Oregon in the country as well in Idaho close to Boise.

...and the tubos - do you detect any odd flavors on those?

Have not tried them yet after the disaster.
What you see split between the boxes(over half pound almost one)

Is there any possibility some of those cigars spent time with infused cigars and brought the infusions along with them? Gifts perhaps from someone who didn't keep the two separate?

Is there any possibility some of those cigars spent time with infused cigars and brought the infusions along with them? Gifts perhaps from someone who didn't keep the two separate?

All the cigars in those boxes have been purchased mostly in boxes from reputable vendors here and from Europe.
Nothing from other individuals.
I bought garbage only once on the web I shipped back and some threw in the trash.
Never had anything in these boxes that had an issue and not aged.
These are my go to daily boxes.
Good point and I appreciate the effort.

Please be more specific, what quantity of beads did you have in the domed humidor? What quantity of beads did you have in the rectangular humidor?

Your posted photo turns me of,take it of.
Add per box after you read three lines above!

Hey Rod - I got sucked into the Habanos Addict vortex ....but he's all yours now! :whistling:

Please be more specific, what quantity of beads did you have in the domed humidor? What quantity of beads did you have in the rectangular humidor?

Your posted photo turns me of,take it of.
Add per box after you read three lines above!

Hey Rod - I got sucked into the Habanos Addict vortex ....but he's all yours now! :whistling:

I came back to answer to you and you are talking to Rod?

You do not understand is not funny what happen to my cigars.

What is complicated to you about what you see on the photos split between the boxes?

What are you smoking?

I do not like to be made fun of for doing an act of desperation to find out what the problem is.

If you think is funny and you are contributing to that kind of demeanor.

If you see someone fall down and get hurt would you go and let them know is funny the way you thought they tried to get up?

HA, seriously speaking. Spend a little money and have some cigars and beads analyzed at a local lab. If indeed the cigars are affected by the beads you might have ammunition to be compensated for your damaged cigars by the bead manufacturer. This way you can have a piece of mind and rule out the beads or not. Thats what I would do. This company seems to analyze tobacco http://www.aristalabs.com/