• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coin cut tobacco- Best way to approach?

bluue13

I'm just wondering if any of you seasoned pipe smokers out there have some advice for a newb. I've smoked a couple bowls of Escudo Navy deluxe (Delicious, might I add) but I haven't quite figured out the best way to pack it. I've tried rubbing them apart but I think I may have on one occasion rubbed it into too fine of a flake, and on another I may have not rubbed enough. On another occasion I've tried folding the coins and packing them in that way, but I just cant seem to get it to a point where I dont have to relight excessively.

Is this really just a situation of trial and error and find out what works best for me? Or is there a best way that seems to really work for everyone?

Oh and I have a cob if that helps any.

Thanks, guys!

Are you able to smoke anything without relighting "excessively?"

I stand by the "roll a few coins into a ball and shove them in the bowl making sure to leave an air pocket under them" approach, but it is tough to get lit sometimes. Once fully lit, it's almost impossible for it to go out. The air pocket under the ball of tobacco is key.

If that's not working, try tearing the medallions into quarters and loading those into your pipe kind fairly loosely. Whatever "scraps" fall off, sprinkle them on top loosely as "kindling" to start your fire (you should be doing this with all flakes and medallions when using the "roll them into a ball and stuff it" technique).

Whatever you do, make sure you've got a nice easy draw and that you're not packing too tightly. It's easy to do with flakes and medallions.

It takes some time to get flakes down pat. Keep practicing. While relights are annoying, they're not really going to hurt anything. Once you figure out what works for you you will be rewarded with a wonderful smoking experience.

Are you able to smoke anything without relighting "excessively?"

I stand by the "roll a few coins into a ball and shove them in the bowl making sure to leave an air pocket under them" approach, but it is tough to get lit sometimes. Once fully lit, it's almost impossible for it to go out. The air pocket under the ball of tobacco is key.

If that's not working, try tearing the medallions into quarters and loading those into your pipe kind fairly loosely. Whatever "scraps" fall off, sprinkle them on top loosely as "kindling" to start your fire (you should be doing this with all flakes and medallions when using the "roll them into a ball and stuff it" technique).

Whatever you do, make sure you've got a nice easy draw and that you're not packing too tightly. It's easy to do with flakes and medallions.

It takes some time to get flakes down pat. Keep practicing. While relights are annoying, they're not really going to hurt anything. Once you figure out what works for you you will be rewarded with a wonderful smoking experience.

Alright, I'll try these suggestions out for sure.

I've been able to enjoy a few bowls of Frog Morton without having to relight more than once or twice. I'll just keep practicing and hope that I'll get better as time goes on as I'm sure will be the case. I haven't had any issues with packing too tightly yet as I always have gotten a nice easy draw. The "Pipe smoking guide" has definitely been useful and very helpful! :thumbs:

Thanks for the tips!

I'm sure you'll get a system down that works for you. Working that out is part of the fun.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. :)

I'm sure you'll get a system down that works for you. Working that out is part of the fun.

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. :)

Ain't it the truth? Quick question on the "Roll 'em and stuff 'em" Technique. Is it roll all of the coins into one ball? Or roll and stuff each separately? Or is this again a "find out what works best for you" situation.

Thanks again!

All in one ball. You want the ball of tobacco to be a tight fit in the upper area of the chamber. You need to cram it in, but not force it in with a hammer. Too loose and it won't work. Too tight and it won't work. It's a balancing act, for sure.

The absolute key is to leave the air pocket under the ball of tobacco and to make sure the draw is still loose enough.

It is harder to light, but once lit it stays lit very well. It will also work with shag cut and some ribbon cuts.

Here's a video. I don't know this guy, but it's a pretty good video on this method. It was just the first thing that came up on the google.

http://smokingpipetobacco.com/how-to/air-pocket-method/

Awesome. I'm going for this method next time. Thanks again!

I use Alan's method too, but I make it a point to keep the ball itself very loose. I'll often just take a single coin and crush into into a ball in the palm of one hand then stuff it into a medium-small sized bowl. It doesn't seem like that much tobacco but that gives me a decent 45 min - 1 hr smoke. Also, if you like the Escudo you may want to get your hands on some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. Some say its the same, I disagree, but its very good and available in bulk.

I use Alan's method too, but I make it a point to keep the ball itself very loose. I'll often just take a single coin and crush into into a ball in the palm of one hand then stuff it into a medium-small sized bowl. It doesn't seem like that much tobacco but that gives me a decent 45 min - 1 hr smoke. Also, if you like the Escudo you may want to get your hands on some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. Some say its the same, I disagree, but its very good and available in bulk.

For sure not the same. Similar, yes, and very tasty!

And yes, you don't want to try to light a marble of tobacco. I guess I never really touched on that. I reckon I like the ball of tobacco a little tighter than what Pipe Smoker describes, but you need to make sure that the pipe draws how you like it.

Alternatively, you can just rub the coins a little and fill the pipe fairly loosely with the chunks of tobacco. You may need to relight the pipe a little more, but it works.

With all of this, make sure you avoid huffing the pipe. It's easy to start huffing and puffing when you get frustrated. Take it easy, it's supposed to be enjoyable. :)

(This is all a very wordy description of what is a very simple activity. It all seems so complex because it takes a lot of words to describe things [for me, anyway]. Remember, KISS works the best when smoking a pipe.)

For sure not the same. Similar, yes, and very tasty!

And yes, you don't want to try to light a marble of tobacco. I guess I never really touched on that. I reckon I like the ball of tobacco a little tighter than what Pipe Smoker describes, but you need to make sure that the pipe draws how you like it.

Alternatively, you can just rub the coins a little and fill the pipe fairly loosely with the chunks of tobacco. You may need to relight the pipe a little more, but it works.

With all of this, make sure you avoid huffing the pipe. It's easy to start huffing and puffing when you get frustrated. Take it easy, it's supposed to be enjoyable. :)

(This is all a very wordy description of what is a very simple activity. It all seems so complex because it takes a lot of words to describe things [for me, anyway]. Remember, KISS works the best when smoking a pipe.)

Just like cigars! Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I appreciate the "lot of words" I'm the same way when I explain things to people, I like to include as many details as possible so there is no room for confusion.

I love watching Eric's videos on you tube! Thanks for reminding me of this vid. I'm gonna try that today!