• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

arturo fuente double chateau sun grown

SkyKing

This is my second experience with this stick. Got of 10 them for about $58 from a mass retailer much maligned on this site.

Specs
Qty:

Factory Box of 20

Size:
6 3/4 x 50

Cigar Shape:
Double Corona
Binder:
Dominican Republic

Filler:
Dominican Republic

Wrapper:
Ecuador Sun Grown

Dominican Republic

Sug. Retail Price:

Cigar Rating:

My rating:
80​
Beverage accompanying this cigar:: Bit of lemon juice in tap water sweetened with Splenda. Weak lemonade. I find that it refreshes the palate without interfering with the cigar.

Tried the first one Monday. Stick was very firm - no give. Cap was very brittle. Lit it up and soon saw that the thin wrapper was blowing up about a third of the way into. It was so distracting that I could remember nothing of the flavor other than it wasn't offensive. As I like to describe nondescript scotches, it was polite.

Aggravated, I put it aside and smoked a Consuegra 18 and at least I knew a cigar was present on my porch. Inspected a couple AF left in the bundle and the second one I looked at had a two inch crack in the foot. Called the vendor and made arrangements to return them and ordered some Rocky Patel Churchill maduros.

This afternoon, (Wednesday) I decided to give the AF a second chance and picked the one I had unwrapped that was in somewhat better condition than the other. Means I'm paying the vendor over $10 to smoke it. Would be charged nothing if I left it alone and returned the bundle with only one smoked. Now they'll pro-rate the refund. But I'm curious and I wanna smoke. Besides, I sometimes find that things sometimes go better on a second or third date. This cigar has a decent reputation and I didn't want to diss it based on one experience.

The second stick was also very firm - hardly any give. Cap was brittle like the first. Before light fragrance had hint of citris and fresh tobacco. Used a torch and the light was even. At the time of these notes, haven't finished the first third yet. What I have noted thus far is a smooth smoke but underwhelming in flavor.Beginning to think I like dirty smokes with character better than some of the more refined cigars. I'm trying to find some specif flavors to report but best I can do is say that it reminds me of a Dunhill cigarette at this stage. Lots of dull smoke.

I'm bored and am putting the stick down. I'll update this if I finish the cigar.

9:45 I'm back. Finished the smoke while chatting with a young friend about his job hunting strategy. Happy to report that flavor picked up a bit in the second third. Got a little salt, slightly musty, full smooth finish. Wrapper on this one didn't blowup. Maybe because I took pains to smoke it more slowy, pausing a half minute or so between drags. Know the recommendation is one minute but I'm not that patient. Second third intensified the basic flavor but was still far from complex. Simple but pleasant. Smoked to the nub. Nub was the best part of the cigar.

Aftertaste is still lingering; quite agreeable actually. Maybe that is one of the benefits of milder smokes. I'm still returning the balance. It was an inoffensive, pleasant smoke but just didn't ring my bell. I'll try lots of others before ordering an AF again - but would not be unhappy if one showed up in a trade.

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks. I've smoked through numerous boxes of these, as it is one my go to golf cigars. Smoke one of these on the front 9 every week, and they are full of flavor, burn great and hold up to the varying weather conditions without issue.

I smoke the Château Fuente and Cuban Belicoso sungrowns regularly. I gave up on the Double Château. Always burns badly in my experience.

Doc

I've come to conclude you need to smoke several samples of the same cigar, in different settings, before writing your review in stone.

As it turned out, I didn't return the Fuentes, mostly out of lethargy. I've since smoked a couple that had been in the humidor for a few weeks. Much better, more rounded smoke. Burn still a little ragged. I would bump my rating up to 85. Don't know if the cigar improved or my mood.

I bought a fiver of the Chatueau King T, Sungrown Rosado. I hope rest will help. The freshly delivered stick was a disappointment.

I bought a fiver of the Chatueau King T, Sungrown Rosado. I hope rest will help. The freshly delivered stick was a disappointment.
I thought it was pretty good but maybe I'm too much of a newb. It wasnt the best AF I have had though. My wife said it smelled like an old man haha.

How would she know what I smelled like?

Doc

I smoke the Château Fuente and Cuban Belicoso sungrowns regularly. I gave up on the Double Château. Always burns badly in my experience.

Doc

I too like the Cuban Belicoso more than the others. I found that some of Fuente's SG wrappers on their regular line are really thin, I opt for a pyramid rather than a capped cigar....no cracking when I try to punch or cut the cap. When I cut a delicate wrapper like the Cuban Beli, I choose the Palio over the Xikar for a cleaner, quicker cut. Seems to work better for me.

Doc, have you had a chance to try the new Fuente Rosado Sungrown R44 yet? Nice tasting cigar and the SG wrapper on that one is not nearly as thin & fragile as the regular SG series.

Even though I find it personally hard to do, it is best to let them rest in your humidor prior to smoking them. Even better is to let them sit for a couple of months.
I have found this works best whenever ordering from one of the big catelog companies.
When ordering a new line, I find it very hard to keep to this rule.
I have had good luck with the AF double chatueau myself and keep a box aging in the windador.

I've smoked several of the AF Double Chateau cigars, I really like this cigar and its slowly becoming one of my favorites (contrary to my user name). Only problem I have with it is although I light the cigar correctly I NEVER get an even burn my cigar always seems to canoe. Usually it even's itself out but it is annoying.

Bundle? I've never seen Chateaus in a bundle - always a box WITH a humipak in it.